Sign in to follow this  
oswald737

Luis Robert 2020 Outlook

The most notable part may be the 113 mph ev. Spring training or not, not every major leaguer can do that.

3 hours ago, kwelch said:

So has Richie Martin, Roughed Odor & Edward Olivares.

I own him everywhere, so i am rooting for him. I just have my doubts about ST #s.

I mean yeah I’m pretty sure everyone knows that ST numbers aren’t the end all be all, but these guys aren’t just throwing lollipops in there. A lot of these players are trying to win spots on the 40 man so they obviously will be trying to showcase their stuff. Either way, it’s good to see that he is already utilizing his 5 category toolset. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tucker26 said:

I understand profiles like this can be successful, like Adam Jones and Baez. Once the bat speed flounders the cliff is steep. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see him be successful for many years. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him flop. I prefer the stability in a OBP based profile but the MLB pool isn’t all cookie cutter. That said, I tend to stay away or trade these types on hype. By all reports, Robert has stud skills and a butter face (k/bb ratios). 

It's better than him not having hit at all

I’m targeting this kid for sure. ChiSox line up looks pretty good and if he’s hitting atop the lineup, could be a valuable piece.

Drafted Robert just outside the top 100.  I know he'll hurt me with the OBP.  Is he expected to hit at the bottom of the order for long?  Would love if Renteria got more aggressive with base running this year too.

I expect him to hit 7 or 8 most of the year.  As a rookie, there isn't a whole lot of upside in the White Sox moving him up.  Anderson is going to hit leadoff, Moncada has earned #2.  Abreu, Grandal, Encarnacion, Eloy will hit 3-6 in some order (my bet is that Eloy moves into the 4 or 5 hole by the end of the year and Grandal is hiting 6.  Pantera could possibly sneak into the 6 spot if he really shows out, but I don't see them messing around with him at the top of the order and he isn't going to unseat the vets in the middle.

2 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

I expect him to hit 7 or 8 most of the year.  As a rookie, there isn't a whole lot of upside in the White Sox moving him up.  Anderson is going to hit leadoff, Moncada has earned #2.  Abreu, Grandal, Encarnacion, Eloy will hit 3-6 in some order (my bet is that Eloy moves into the 4 or 5 hole by the end of the year and Grandal is hiting 6.  Pantera could possibly sneak into the 6 spot if he really shows out, but I don't see them messing around with him at the top of the order and he isn't going to unseat the vets in the middle.

And by the time someone gets hurt, Nick Madrigal should be up and he is an optimal leadoff hitter.

That being said, this lineup and Robert's ability could easily cancel all of this out if he plays well.

Eventually Robert moves into #2 spot as I think he will be a much better version of moncada. But that won’t happen this year. 

Posted (edited)

Fernando Tatis started out hitting 6th in the Padres order, up until May something. Then he batted leadoff for his remaining time in the lineup. Everyone seems to get too hung up on what the batting order looks like on Opening Day.

Edited by chucky

Can't compare 2019 Padres to 2020 White Sox imo.  Padres started the season with some combination of Greg Garcia, Franmil Reyes, Manuel Margot, and Ian Kinsler in their top 2 slots in the lineup.  That is not good, and there was an obvious opportunity for a young player to make the jump.  White Sox will have plenty of options above Robert, and even if he doesn't struggle (which I expect at some point he will), there won't be an obvious opportunity to move up outside of injury.  Anderson, Abreu, Moncada, Jiminez, Encarnacion all will hit in front of him (and they should).  Its better for Robert to hit in a lower pressure spot and find his way...it will also lead to more steals imo.

• Like 1

And while it may seem like I am down on Pantera, I am most definitely not.  I think he is a generational talent.  While he may have some early contact struggles, his power speed combo matched with his propensity to hit the ball in the air should provide massive fantasy returns.  He will be hitting in a good ballpark for the next decade, and will have a solid if not elite group of bats around him.  He is the future #2 hitter in this lineup, and will be a first round pick within a few years.  But this year, he is going to struggle at times, and will most likely hit in the bottom of the order until he gains some experience.

This guy is absolutely murdering balls right now. Most likely player to have an Acuña type breakout this year IMO. We’ll see how he adjusts to major league pitching first, but the sky is the limit with his tools. 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, dfstout said:

Keeper stud for years to come...mark it down...electric on the basepaths...power...patience can be learned...gold glove material...power...great kid...power...humble...[...]

Nab this kid and don't look back...he has Ichiro rookie year potential w more power...ROY MVP STUFF...end of story...

Bump

Posted (edited)

He crushed those pitches but they were also meatballs.  He was getting drafted pretty late [...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Nice debut. Didn't look overmatched at all.

Knocked the first ML pitch he saw on a line to left at 115.8 mph. Only 17 players hit a ball that hard last season.

The real test is what happens when pitchers start to not give him stuff to hit. Does he get himself out or is he willing to work the count.

7 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Wtf is this guy doing batting 7th?? After hitting lead off in spring?

You don't just ask a HOF slugger like Nicky Delmonico to bat behind Luis Robert.

• Haha 1

My dude batting leadoff tonight with Tim Anderson hitting the IL. 👀👀

• Like 4