brockpapersizer

2020 Catcher Rankings

Sorry for the all bold, having formatting issues. I forget who else is available as a FA besides Lucroy.  Bart/Varsho seem to be the prospects to watch out for in 2020.  Astudillo, Barnes, and Y Gomes seem like the most solid catchers if the primary gets hurt.

Feel free to provide feedback, I will be changing these around.  I'm pretty high on Sean Murphy compared to consensus, as some of you may have seen in other threads.

Roster Resource currently has Travis D'Arnaud as the cleanup hitter for the Braves which seems highly suspect to me, even if they dont upgrade 3b, but he would be a tremendous sleeper if he gets close to full time PAs as the 4-6th hitter, that's a developing story to track.

Murphy, Kelly, Garver, and Smith have all really improved the position this year, as well as having Sal Perez back, but it's still the weakest position for deeper/2 catcher leagues.

Catcher

JT Realmuto

Gary Sanchez

Willson Contreras

Yasmani Grandal (moves up a tier in OBP)

Mitch Garver/Astudillo

Sean Murphy/Austin Allan

Will Smith/Austin Barnes

Salvador Perez

Wilson Ramos

Omar Narvaez/Manny Pina (Platoon?)

Carson Kelly/Daulton Varsho/Vogt

Yadier Molina/Andrew Knizer

Jorge Alfaro/Cervelli

Travis D’Arnaud/Tyler Flowers

Buster Posey/Joey Bart/Aramis Garcia

Francisco Mejia/Austin Hedges

Christian Vazquez/Plaweki

Danny Jansen/Reese Mcguire

Kurt Suzuki/Yan Gomes

Roberto Perez/Sandy Leon

Tucker Barnhart/Curt Casail

Tom Murphy/Austin Nola (only C in Y!)

Jacob Stallings/Luke Maile

Chance Sisco/Pedro Severino (Platoon?)

Mike Zunino/Michael Perez

Martin Maldonado

Tony Wolters/Drew Butera

Austin Romine/Greiner

Max Stassi ( LAA)

Jose Trevino/Jeff Mathis (TEX)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I love Carson Kelly this year for big ROI. 

Thanks for the rankings sir!

Posted (edited)

I believe in Mejia.  He was very good (offensively) after the first couple months. He may ultimately change positions but as long as he's playing regularly he'll be solidly in my top 10.

Edited by fletch44

Chirinos should sign soon, would you put him in the tier that starts with Posey?

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Chirinos should sign soon, would you put him in the tier that starts with Posey?

Yes definitely, one would assume those bottom three teams or the Astros. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd move Tom Murphy up some.  I think he will be a minor breakout bat at catcher this season and with Omar gone will be Seattle's main catcher. 

I'd also move Christian Vasquez up one notch.  He found he owned a bat the second half of last year and it was definitely not a fluke.  Also with the signing of the lowly Kevin P. as his back-up now that means he will catch even more games.  And when off they have let him play a little in the field last year.  He takes 2B practice every single day and they won't hesitate to play him some there or 3B when Devers gets a day off or even at 1B.  Cora is very comfortable with his glove in the infield and Vasquez loves to play there when he can get a chance as he takes his infield work very seriously.  In other words, anyway you slice it he can hit now and will be inline for more ABs than in previous years which is what you want your prime catcher to be doing on your teams.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm very high on Sean Murphy, and if I don't land him I would take a flyer on Tom Murphy(the dude crushes lefties)

I thought JTR was a great semi-reach candidate last season and while that didn't seem so hot for a while, by the end of the year he was right where he needed to be. Big boost in the R cat from his past few years (as expected) and the SB were a nice bonus. I think he has a similar season this year and if you don't want to f--- around with the headache of the catcher position, he's a great set it and forget it guy. Draft around 45 and you can put away the ibuprofen.

13 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'd move Tom Murphy up some.  I think he will be a minor breakout bat at catcher this season and with Omar gone will be Seattle's main catcher. 

I'd also move Christian Vasquez up one notch.  He found he owned a bat the second half of last year and it was definitely not a fluke.  Also with the signing of the lowly Kevin P. as his back-up now that means he will catch even more games.  And when off they have let him play a little in the field last year.  He takes 2B practice every single day and they won't hesitate to play him some there or 3B when Devers gets a day off or even at 1B.  Cora is very comfortable with his glove in the infield and Vasquez loves to play there when he can get a chance as he takes his infield work very seriously.  In other words, anyway you slice it he can hit now and will be inline for more ABs than in previous years which is what you want your prime catcher to be doing on your teams.

What makes you think it wasn't a fluke?

7 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I thought JTR was a great semi-reach candidate last season and while that didn't seem so hot for a while, by the end of the year he was right where he needed to be. Big boost in the R cat from his past few years (as expected) and the SB were a nice bonus. I think he has a similar season this year and if you don't want to f--- around with the headache of the catcher position, he's a great set it and forget it guy. Draft around 45 and you can put away the ibuprofen.

His best value is just the fact he plays almost every day. Even in a down year he will be among the leaders in runs and RBI at catcher just from playing so much more than everyone else. Phillies still have no legitimate backup so I'd expect this trend to continue.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

RE: Murphy--

His numbers last year were in line with what he had done in the minors since 2012.  Or even in COL in 2015 and 2016.  2017 and 2018 look like the smaller sample size anomolies when you look at his full career.  What we saw in 2019 should have been what we expected from him (eventually).

It is not uncommon for catchers to break out at the plate at an advanced age since their primary focus is on the defensive side.

I'd move him up several spots personally, but this was a good list to start with.

Edited by kenag122002
  • Like 1

I think I'd knock Gary Sanchez down a tier.  He's a good player but not clear cut above anyone in that third group.  Honestly it's gotten to a point where I think he's overrated especially when it comes to his yearly ADP.

1 hour ago, I like baseball said:

I think I'd knock Gary Sanchez down a tier.  He's a good player but not clear cut above anyone in that third group.  Honestly it's gotten to a point where I think he's overrated especially when it comes to his yearly ADP.

I haven't owned him in fantasy (yet) so I haven't followed him super closely.  2017 was pretty awesome, hasn't health been more of the issue?

• Like 1

There are few fantasy players that can provide the rollercoaster of emotions Sanchez does. He'll hit 5 HRs in a week and then disappear for the rest of the month. Then get hurt. His power will always keep him at the top of catcher rankings, but at this point it seems safe to prepare for ~100-110 games played, multiple groin strains, AVG drain, and some crazy hot weeks.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

@brockpapersizer what kind of numbers (5x5 format) are you thinking for Sean Murphy this year, assuming he plays 120-130 games?

275- 20-25 HR upside, maybe I should have Will Smith over him, because he's shown more power and in a very good lineup of his own. If we're sure Will Smith is playing every day  for a catcher and not splitting really, I might even bump up smith higher. One thing I love about Sean Murphy is he's an excellent defender, I see him as a workhorse catcher.  

2 hours ago, I like baseball said:

40 homer upside while hitting near the middle of one of the best lineups in baseball. I'd take his upside above the three below him. If he's in the same tier as the 3 below him, he's the one I'm taking 100% of the time, thats basically why I pushed him up. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I haven't owned him in fantasy (yet) so I haven't followed him super closely.  2017 was pretty awesome, hasn't health been more of the issue?

It's potential that people buy which inflates his ADP.  It's hard to expect more than 130 GP from a catcher(a mark he's never reached).  Whether it's injury or just nature of the position, it just is what it is.  I'd much rather wait a few rounds and land a player with less upside with more consistency.  I've made the mistake many times over.  I'm not scorned by any means(would definitely draft if the value is there), just a lot more realistic on the value he brings in relation to his cost.

19 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

There are few fantasy players that can provide the rollercoaster of emotions Sanchez does. He'll hit 5 HRs in a week and then disappear for the rest of the month. Then get hurt. His power will always keep him at the top of catcher rankings, but at this point it seems safe to prepare for ~100-110 games played, multiple groin strains, AVG drain, and some crazy hot weeks.

Amen.  He's a very frustrating player to own.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, I like baseball said:

It's potential that people buy which inflates his ADP.  It's hard to expect more than 130 GP from a catcher(a mark he's never reached).  Whether it's injury or just nature of the position, it just is what it is.  I'd much rather wait a few rounds and land a player with less upside with more consistency.  I've made the mistake many times over.  I'm not scorned by any means(would definitely draft if the value is there), just a lot more realistic on the value he brings in relation to his cost.

Amen.  He's a very frustrating player to own.

Exactly. I'm not on some kind of "Never Sanchez" train or anything, but it feels like it's a common line of thinking in H2H that he can regularly single-handedly win you weeks. While he could do that for one or two weeks, it's also smart to reserve an IL spot for him and be ready for some mind-bogglingly bad stretches. He's rolling off my contract league team this year and I'm all but certain someone will reach for him before I even think about taking him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Exactly. I'm not on some kind of "Never Sanchez" train or anything, but it feels like it's a common line of thinking in H2H that he can regularly single-handedly win you weeks. While he could do that for one or two weeks, it's also smart to reserve an IL spot for him and be ready for some mind-bogglingly bad stretches. He's rolling off my contract league team this year and I'm all but certain someone will reach for him before I even think about taking him.

Yeah I totally agree.  I have him in one head-to-head dynasty along with Wilson Ramos.  I actually gave Ramos more starts last season over Sanchez and his endless slumps and injuries. And Ramos didn't  have his best year last season but he was better than having Sanchez tank my average for the week almost single-handily at times.  Sanchez is probably better in roto then trying to deal with that true example of a roller coaster ride he gives owners in head-to-head.

• Like 1

Astudillo is 3rd on the Twins depth chart at C now. Not sure if he'll get much of any playing time, especially if the Twins end up with Donaldson. It helps he can play a few other positions, but honestly he's not great at them. And the Twins have Cave, Adrianza, and Marwin as their main bench players that will all get decent minutes and offer more defensively. At this point I really wouldn't be putting much of any stock in Astudillo, and that's all completely separate from my concerns over his abilities

I agree with those saying they have Tom Murphy a bit higher.  As I posted in Murphy's thread, his batted ball profile from last year was almost identical to Grandal's batted ball profile.  He definitely mashes LHP, but he still hit 7 HR in 142 AB vs RHP, which is a very good pace as well.  And I think his batted ball profile shows his power wasn't a fluke / luck.  Personally I'd have him in that Yadi / Alfaro / d'Arnaud tier, and would possibly take him over all three just for the upside.  And unless Seattle signs another C, I think he sees a lot of AB's.  He's also a very good pitch framer so his defense should help keep him in the lineup.

d'Arnaud I feel like I won't own any shares of because his price is inflating past where I like him.  He's a walking injury time bomb for starters.  And Flowers is a very capable backup and will get plenty of play even if d'Arnaud manages to somehow stay healthy.  Even if he hits in a good part of the order, I feel like his stats last year are about his ceiling.

Sal Perez I'm also a bit leery of.  I feel like he will go fairly early based on name value, but don't necessarily trust an aging catcher coming off a major injury and playing on a rebuilding team.  

Carson Kelly has some PT concerns as well with the D-Backs signing Vogt and Varsho knocking on the door.  Could be dangerously close to a job share just with Vogt, and then add in Varsho later in the year and could be a logjam.

I think Danny Jansen offers some upside in deep leagues.  He was a pretty coveted prospect and has too good of a hit tool to have that terrible of an AVG.  He started looking more comfortable in the second half last year, and I think with a full year under his belt he could start hitting better.    

Jason Castro has also been drawing some attention since signing with the Angels to presumably be their starter.  His batted ball profile was really good last year, but kind of came out of nowhere, so hard to say if it was the result of a swing change, or just small sample size fluff.  Still probably worth a flier in a really deep league.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

If you were referring to Vazquez, he worked with a swing coach last off-season and made changes to his swing to stay in the zone longer, and elevate the ball more.  The change seems to be legit based on Statcast data, especially with his Barrel % increasing substantially, and his average exit velocity increasing by 1.5 MPH.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Austin Nola (only C in Y!)

Are you sure he’s catcher-eligible in Yahoo? He only played 7 games and started 4, according to Baseball-Reference. That would make him fall short of the 10-game/5-start threshold. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Are you sure he’s catcher-eligible in Yahoo? He only played 7 games and started 4, according to Baseball-Reference. That would make him fall short of the 10-game/5-start threshold. 

No, I'm not sure. Good catch.

Sean Murphy is pretty interesting too. BPS has him ranked highly, but I wonder what the general perspective is on him? I've seen an ADP around 240, between Narvaez and Mejia. I like him a lot there 

• Like 1