brockpapersizer

2020 Catcher Rankings

18 hours ago, Magoo said:

Maybe in early draft season but I won't be shocked if he jumps Will Smith by the time draft season in full swing.  I actually like him more than Contreras.

Agree, by the time March roles around, especially in 2 Catcher leagues, the Milwaukee narrative will boost him up

There are a few ugly situations - Pittsburgh C possibilities from a fantasy standpoint kind of stink.  Cant see McCann being a 1-2 day a week backup on the South side, perhaps a trade there?  Or maybe a signing of Beef Wellington Castillo who at least has some fantasy upside. 

Another one who is somewhat intriguing as possibly a deeper dive is Eric Haase, he was recently traded to Detroit, which has a decent pathway to some PT.  Haase has hit 20HR three straight seasons in the minors, so there is some power upside there.  

12 minutes ago, parrothead said:

There are a few ugly situations - Pittsburgh C possibilities from a fantasy standpoint kind of stink.  Cant see McCann being a 1-2 day a week backup on the South side, perhaps a trade there?  Or maybe a signing of Beef Wellington Castillo who at least has some fantasy upside. 

Another one who is somewhat intriguing as possibly a deeper dive is Eric Haase, he was recently traded to Detroit, which has a decent pathway to some PT.  Haase has hit 20HR three straight seasons in the minors, so there is some power upside there.  

Here's another trash one for the uber desperate:  Luke Maile on PIT.  I feel stupid for writing this actually.

• Haha 1

Wilson Ramos looks like the best bang for the buck. Extremely safe floor and he will likely be batting in the 5 spot for the majority of his games like last year. Nothing flashy, just good, solid production at a fair price.

• Like 2

In a one catcher 12 or 10 team league there’s no way I wouldn’t just be one of the last to grab a catcher. The position is still overall a glob, the tiers within each other aren’t as different as other positions. Currently have Yadi was my number 12 catcher and I’d love to have him at a very late pick in those types of league at no cost.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

For two catcher leagues I think the optimal choices value wise are Sal Perez and Molina. Misranked and Mispriced and that's with jumping their ADP by 20 picks or so to ensure getting them.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, brockpapersizer said:

In a one catcher 12 or 10 team league there’s no way I wouldn’t just be one of the last to grab a catcher. The position is still overall a glob, the tiers within each other aren’t as different as other positions. Currently have Yadi was my number 12 catcher and I’d love to have him at a very late pick in those types of league at no cost.

I say this as someone who does not own him in any league Im in, but I equate catchers, especially if its a 2-C league a bit to tight end in football and I just think Realmuto and the value he provides and the difference he provides in the counting stats, HR and batting average comped to pretty much the entire position might be one of the bigger gaps in the game which is why (and it was one of the more unpopular picks) that I took him late 2nd round/early third turn in the Way too early Mock.  

The batting avg for most especially in a season long roto because catchers tend to have the least at-bats of your players is something I tend to not factor as much as some others, I mean sure you dont was a .192 guy if you can avoid it, but if someone is hitting .240 and popping you 20HR thats fine. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:14 AM, Magoo said:

Here's another trash one for the uber desperate:  Luke Maile on PIT.  I feel stupid for writing this actually.

They just signed another guy too, John Ryan Murphy - at one time was a decently regarded prospect with the Yankees, has a little bit of pop nothing to draft, but could cloud the Maile as the for sure backup 

Posted (edited)

The catcher position is one I'm not sure about how to draft correctly. Don't see one perfect strategy that fits my situation.

Love to draft Realmuto, but using my draft pick where's he going seems risky.

Waiting to the end of draft is useful and probably will do this in atleast one draft.

Grandal seems like he could offer good value at the right price. 

Edited by MrBrett

In every mock I’ve done I’ve waited for either Ramos, Kelly or Narvaez. Would be perfectly content with any of those three. I don’t think any of the “top tier” guys are far and away better than them this year.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cheppy said:

In every mock I’ve done I’ve waited for either Ramos, Kelly or Narvaez. Would be perfectly content with any of those three. I don’t think any of the “top tier” guys are far and away better than them this year.

Yeah, still like the top of the board best.

Realmuto

Sanchez

Grandal

Contreras

Garver

However, after them could make the argument to wait until later and end up with a decent choice. All dependent on your particular situation-format, strategy, etc.

More catchers were useful last year some of which was due to HR spikes. Can't be certain if we'll see the same levels of homer's from catcher's this season. 

Think I'm going to try to get Grandal in one draft and see what develops later in the draft in the other two. 

Edited by MrBrett

1 hour ago, MrBrett said:

Yeah, still like the top of the board best.

Realmuto

Sanchez

Grandal

Contreras

Garver

Not at their ADP for me. 

• Like 1

I've seen ramos fall far in a lot of drafts and I don't know why. 

1 hour ago, umphrey said:

Limited upside and health concerns. Also there's a common thought of either spending at catcher or completely punting. Ramos is in that spot between those two strategies which pushes his price down.

2 hours ago, umphrey said:

I’ll gladly take him at his ADP. He may lack upside but he’ll hit for decent average, 15 HR and he’ll have his usual 60/70 RBI. That’s all I need from my catcher position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sine_cera said:

I’ll gladly take him at his ADP. He may lack upside but he’ll hit for decent average, 15 HR and he’ll have his usual 60/70 RBI. That’s all I need from my catcher position.

Agreed. He seems to be what Molina used to be. A solid guy across the board who won't hurt you in any of the main categories. 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:00 PM, Cheppy said:

I like Kelly's upside, but if he can't improve upon his .203 batting average against righties this season I think he's going to lose playing time to Vogt.

Any adjustments to your list after the short spring? Kiner-Falefa get a crack?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I like seeing D'arnaud bat higher in the lineup for the Braves.

Split time caveats, of course, but as those go...

Edited by JE7HorseGod

Condensed schedule will make all “strictly catcher” catchers part time players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Exactly.  In a short season with a couple of double headers a week someone like him who can both catch and be used as a utility player is golden.  That is IF there is even a short season.

Good points on catcher usage in a short season. Should boost Grandals value too being 1B eligible.