Ecofolux

Bo Bichette 2020 Outlook

Low grade knee sprain. He's going for a second opinion. 

Should only miss around 2 weeks if it's a low grade knee sprain. 

• Like 1

Regardless of timetable, glad it's not something more significant that would require surgery/put his status for the start of next year in jeopardy

if he comes back sooner than later great. I wouldn't expect many or any SB when he does,

And it's "worse than expencted." 

Sun, Aug 16

According to Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun, Bo Bichette's right knee injury is "worse than expected" and could keep him out until mid-September.

Advice: Awful news. Bichette was placed on the injured list Sunday after spraining his right knee during Saturday's game in Buffalo against the visiting Rays. The young shortstop had a stellar .356/.387/.678 batting line with five home runs, 13 RBI, four stolen bases, and 11 runs scored through 62 plate appearances (13 games) this season. Joe Panik and Santiago Espinal appear likely to share playing time at short in Bichette's absence.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Grade 1 LCL sprain. Very minor. Should be back in 1-2 weeks. 

I'd think 2 weeks would be being a tad hopeful and no way one week.

Sportsnet's Shi Davidi reports that Bo Bichette has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 sprain of the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee.

According to Davidi, the injury is "considered minor" and should have "no long-term impact" for the 22-year-old shortstop, as the rest of his knee is structurally sound. Still, there is currently no timetable for Bichette's return to the Blue Jays' active roster and a rehab plan is still being mapped out. He seems likely to be sidelined until sometime in September. Brandon Drury, Joe Panik, Santiago Espinal are expected to share starts at short.

Source: Shi Davidi on Twitter           Aug 17, 2020, 10:04 PM ET

You don't rush someone back from something like this and risk a worse injury.  A ligament in a knee is nothing to be trifled with.  Not when you are talking a major star for Toronto for a long time to come.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twentyone said:

soooo, ya'll comfortable starting him, with no reservations, for this upcoming week?

If he's active he's a must start IMO.  The Jays are fighting for a potential better playoff spot so you can bet Bichette will be on the field trying to secure that 2nd spot in the AL East.

Where are we thinking Bichette will rank heading into next year?

Bo is my #4 SS after Turner, Story and Tatis. 

I don’t think he and Tatis are that far apart but Tatis gets a lot more hype 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, NoHablaIngles said:

Bo is my #4 SS after Turner, Story and Tatis. 

I don’t think he and Tatis are that far apart but Tatis gets a lot more hype 

I would still put Lindor and Bregman ahead of Bo. So #6 for me. Bregman and Bichette is close for me though.