Sign in to follow this  
Corleone

Calvin Ridley 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

 

Julio can keep the torch, just give me them pointsss 

 

CMC is a sagacious cat ... he gets it - dunno of many PPT (points per torch) leegs.

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

CMC is a sagacious cat ... he gets it - dunno of many PPT (points per torch) leegs.

Point per torch... point per reception... point per point. Ridley ain’t outscoring Don Julio in any of them this year, or next for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Ridley this year, but not everyone does. I was able to grab him at 47 and 53 in two of my leagues (one PPR and one standard). For me he was someone I noted as probably outperforming their ADP and I didn’t feel the need to reach and let him fall to me at a bargain. If you feel like you need him on your team, then reach a bit, but if you just really like him I think he can be had as a bargain. Many drafters don’t think of him as a sexy pick with Julio there. 
 

My ten team full point PPR league played out interestingly. I went RB, RB, RB against the grain (Cook, Drake, Carson)  and then WR, WR, WR (JuJu, Ridley, Parker). People were reaching for mediocre RB’s while I was still getting excellent WR’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WEIL3R said:

I really like Ridley this year, but not everyone does. I was able to grab him at 47 and 53 in two of my leagues (one PPR and one standard). For me he was someone I noted as probably outperforming their ADP and I didn’t feel the need to reach and let him fall to me at a bargain. If you feel like you need him on your team, then reach a bit, but if you just really like him I think he can be had as a bargain. Many drafters don’t think of him as a sexy pick with Julio there. 
 

My ten team full point PPR league played out interestingly. I went RB, RB, RB against the grain (Cook, Drake, Carson)  and then WR, WR, WR (JuJu, Ridley, Parker). People were reaching for mediocre RB’s while I was still getting excellent WR’s.

 

The preferred route in snake drafts is RB RB RB assuming your third RB is at least comparable to the best WR available. Personally I do RB as pick 1 no matter what, then BPA (only RBs and WRs though) for the next 4 rounds with the caveat of at least 1 more RB.

Far as Ridley goes, I got him with pick 45 in a $250 league (PPR), and paid probably early 3rd round-ish price in an auction.

To me, the biggest choice this year when drafting Ridley is do you take him over Robert Woods. I had the agonizing decision and took Ridley. In the auction I got both, same price (early 3rd round-ish)

Edited by young dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

There's some talk Ridley will take over as Atlanta's WR1 this season from Julio. 

 

No there isn't, this is actually a laughable comment. Ridley is good, Julio is an all-time great. He is the best WR in the league and really no one is even that close. This opinion is commonplace across the league.

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/julio-jones-best-wr-nfl-michael-thomas-deandre-hopkins-espn-list-ranking-news-atlanta-falcons

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

 

No there isn't, this is actually a laughable comment. Ridley is good, Julio is an all-time great. He is the best WR in the league and really no one is even that close. This opinion is commonplace across the league.

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/julio-jones-best-wr-nfl-michael-thomas-deandre-hopkins-espn-list-ranking-news-atlanta-falcons

The fact you think Sports Illustrated is the ultimate and only authority is a laughable comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

The fact you think Sports Illustrated is the ultimate and only authority is a laughable comment.

 

Didn't even click the article to read that it was an ESPN poll by 50 coaches / players.  Not like it matters, anyone who watches football knows how good Julio is.

 

Anyways, I like Ridley this year.  Coming into his own and in a nice situation where he can be the Juju to Julio's AB.  As has been pointed out, the fantasy production was very comparable between Ridley and Julio when both healthy, with Ridley getting more of his points via TDs, and when Ridley was out the last 3 games Julio got pasted with targets to inflate his numbers.

 

There's no question, Julio is still the man on that team.  Someday Ridley will inevitably probably pass him.  Until then, Ridley is still a great deal in Round 4.  Can definitely deliver low WR1 production even with Julio there in my mind.

Edited by Illusion_J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

 

Didn't even click the article to read that it was an ESPN poll by 50 coaches / players.  Not like it matters, anyone who watches football knows how good Julio is.

 

Anyways, I like Ridley this year.  Coming into his own and in a nice situation where he can be the Juju to Julio's AB.  As has been pointed out, the fantasy production was very comparable between Ridley and Julio when both healthy, with Ridley getting more of his points via TDs, and when Ridley was out the last 3 games Julio got pasted with targets to inflate his numbers.

 

There's no question, Julio is still the man on that team.  Someday Ridley will inevitably probably pass him.  Until then, Ridley is still a great deal in Round 4.  Can definitely deliver low WR1 production even with Julio there in my mind.

Father Time always wins bro. Jerry Rice was once the best WR in the game. That poll is based on last year. It's 2020 now.
The torch will eventually passed to Ridley and many believe that transition will begin this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

 

Didn't even click the article to read that it was an ESPN poll by 50 coaches / players.  Not like it matters, anyone who watches football knows how good Julio is.

 

Anyways, I like Ridley this year.  Coming into his own and in a nice situation where he can be the Juju to Julio's AB.  As has been pointed out, the fantasy production was very comparable between Ridley and Julio when both healthy, with Ridley getting more of his points via TDs, and when Ridley was out the last 3 games Julio got pasted with targets to inflate his numbers.

 

There's no question, Julio is still the man on that team.  Someday Ridley will inevitably probably pass him.  Until then, Ridley is still a great deal in Round 4.  Can definitely deliver low WR1 production even with Julio there in my mind.

 

all this ^

as far as incredible value,i'd rather Ridley in the 4th than Julio in the late 1st/early 2nd, and that's not even close to being debatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

The fact you think Sports Illustrated is the ultimate and only authority is a laughable comment.

Hey bud, the article references a poll of coaches and players, I couldn't care less about it if were some article where the author just offered his opinion, but you know, you didn't even click the link, so. 

Edited by furbz420

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julio is an all time great, hall of fame WR. He’s only 31 years old and, as evidenced by his performance last year, still one of (if not THE) best WRs in the NFL.
 

Ridley doesn’t even do anything particularly well. Doesn’t have great size, doesn’t have great speed. Doesn’t really have remarkable separation or YAC skills.

Ridley is being overrated because he put up some TDs in his rookie year cause Julio commanded all the coverage.

Some serious clown analysis in this thread. 
 

🤡🤡🤡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Julio being one of the best WRs of all time + him still being in the back-end of his prime isn't a detractor at all as you're framing it. They consistently bracket Julio with a safety over the top + often putting their best man corner on him, leaving Ridley to feast on the other side of the field.

 

Not really sure about your Ridley claims too, he's pretty great in his own right. Can't get separation? That's literally his calling card. I'd venture to say the guy is one of the best route runners in football. The guy averaged 1.84 yards of separation per target in his rookie season, #1 in the NFL (https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/15/18223707/falcons-calvin-ridley-most-separation-among-nfl-wrs-2018). It's especially impressive given that he plays on the outside on most of his routes since it's far more easier to get separation in the slot. He was 4th best in the league last year. He also ran a 4.43 at the combine, think that counts as "great speed". 

 

Koetter's offenses always rank in the top 5 in pass attempts each year, and the Falcons pass plenty around the goal line. Their D doesn't look too much better this year either, they'll be playing in a ton of shootouts. 

 

Clown.

 

We really need to get off of the personal stuff/name calling here. You made a fantastic argument already. Let that stand on itself. No need to stoop down. That point aside, thanks for sharing this solid content.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Julio being one of the best WRs of all time + him still being in the back-end of his prime isn't a detractor at all as you're framing it. They consistently bracket Julio with a safety over the top + often putting their best man corner on him, leaving Ridley to feast on the other side of the field.

 

Not really sure about your Ridley claims too, he's pretty great in his own right. Can't get separation? That's literally his calling card. I'd venture to say the guy is one of the best route runners in football. The guy averaged 1.84 yards of separation per target in his rookie season, #1 in the NFL (https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/15/18223707/falcons-calvin-ridley-most-separation-among-nfl-wrs-2018). It's especially impressive given that he plays on the outside on most of his routes since it's far more easier to get separation in the slot. He was 4th best in the league last year. He also ran a 4.43 at the combine, think that counts as "great speed". 

 

Koetter's offenses always rank in the top 5 in pass attempts each year, and the Falcons pass plenty around the goal line. Their D doesn't look too much better this year either, they'll be playing in a ton of shootouts. 

 

Clown.

Ridley is perfectly fine in his own right. Decent player with physical limitations and yeah he will benefit from having one of the best to ever do it lining up on the other side. 

But to suggest Ridley is a better player than Julio, even at this stage in their careers? Absolutely laughable. Complete and utter nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, young dude said:

 

The preferred route in snake drafts is RB RB RB assuming your third RB is at least comparable to the best WR available. Personally I do RB as pick 1 no matter what, then BPA (only RBs and WRs though) for the next 4 rounds with the caveat of at least 1 more RB.

Far as Ridley goes, I got him with pick 45 in a $250 league (PPR), and paid probably early 3rd round-ish price in an auction.

To me, the biggest choice this year when drafting Ridley is do you take him over Robert Woods. I had the agonizing decision and took Ridley. In the auction I got both, same price (early 3rd round-ish)

Ridley went for $30 in my auction vs woods at $26. 
I took Ridley and wanted him on my team. He was interestingly the first 10 to be nominated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scheibler said:

 

I was talking about in the 3rd if Carson and golladay are gone. I have him ranked ahead of Moore, Evans, Thielen, & Cooper who usually go there

Oh yeah I get you.


Honestly I’d take this cat in the 3rd too. I love the upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't hate Ridley in the 3rd, there is no way I take him in front of Moore. For the record I have Ridley in 3 of 4 leagues and 0 of Moore yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I am absolutely all in on Ridley this year. Have him in 4 of 5 leagues including two $250 leagues (only missed him in an auction). I took him in front of the likes of Thielen, Cooper, Kupp, and Woods (I did draft Moore first in one league lol). IMO, among the range of likely outcomes, the top half starts with him finishing AT LEAST on par with Julio. I say that based on the last couple of games played before his injury last season. It's a tiny sample size, but it's a harbinger of things to come IMO.

Giddy up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, young dude said:

Man I am absolutely all in on Ridley this year. Have him in 4 of 5 leagues including two $250 leagues (only missed him in an auction). I took him in front of the likes of Thielen, Cooper, Kupp, and Woods (I did draft Moore first in one league lol). IMO, among the range of likely outcomes, the top half starts with him finishing AT LEAST on par with Julio. I say that based on the last couple of games played before his injury last season. It's a tiny sample size, but it's a harbinger of things to come IMO.

Giddy up!

 

Julio is still the better receiver.

That being said he is blanketed in the red zone and so Ridley will have more TDs in my opinion as ATL continues to ignore Julio in the red zone as they have done for most his career. If Ridley stays healthy I think he and moore would be pretty close to a wash as far as fantasy, prolly within 100 yards and a TD or 2 of each other, provided they both stay healthy I don't think you can go wrong with either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, young dude said:

Man I am absolutely all in on Ridley this year. Have him in 4 of 5 leagues including two $250 leagues (only missed him in an auction). I took him in front of the likes of Thielen, Cooper, Kupp, and Woods (I did draft Moore first in one league lol). IMO, among the range of likely outcomes, the top half starts with him finishing AT LEAST on par with Julio. I say that based on the last couple of games played before his injury last season. It's a tiny sample size, but it's a harbinger of things to come IMO.

Giddy up!


No reason he and Julio can’t be WR1s this year. He’s my WR4 on one of my high-stakes teams and I’m quite happy about it :). 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would y’all rather have Ridley or OBJ this year? Having a hard time figuring out where to value this guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PVNOLE said:

Would y’all rather have Ridley or OBJ this year? Having a hard time figuring out where to value this guy. 

Ridley because if the better QB and better passing offence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat Daughtery has been kind of off Calvin Ridley this year and he's been hammering home how he's never been a YAC guy or an elite athleticism guy. I happen to agree with him, and think we keep our "Chris Godwin of this year" hopes in check. I do think he takes a step forward, I do think he has a good year, and I like him a lot, but if he makes it into the top 12 I expect it to be in the 10-11 range. I just don't see him topping 1150-1200 yards, but I do see the potential of 10 TDs, so that's awesome. PROVE ME WRONG CALVIN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, aapox said:

Pat Daughtery has been kind of off Calvin Ridley this year and he's been hammering home how he's never been a YAC guy or an elite athleticism guy. I happen to agree with him, and think we keep our "Chris Godwin of this year" hopes in check. I do think he takes a step forward, I do think he has a good year, and I like him a lot, but if he makes it into the top 12 I expect it to be in the 10-11 range. I just don't see him topping 1150-1200 yards, but I do see the potential of 10 TDs, so that's awesome. PROVE ME WRONG CALVIN!

I think the biggest concern about him not meeting the "Godwin of this year" is the Gurley factor. Tampa had no running game and were constantly down in games which increased Godwin's stock. Now I can see Atlanta in shoot outs but I think Gurley is going to be Ridley's biggest barrier to meeting our thoughts on his ceiling. I am still high on Ridley but do worry about the Gurley factor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this