Rotoworld.com Forums

Calvin Ridley 2020 Outlook

5 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Are you talking about the same Amari Cooper that averaged just 42 yards a game on the road across 15 games in 2018 and 2019 and so far has 67 fewer yards on the road in 2020?

If you're going to argue that Ridley isn't a true #1, at least offer an example of someone that is.

I’m talking about the Cooper who’s NUMBER ONE in PPR at WR on the season. What in the ENTIRE F do yards on the road have to do with anything? This is fantasy football, not yardage football. 

Edited by Uncle_Ruckus
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best case scenario: Ridley’s foot feels 100% immediately and he doesn’t even miss a practice. Worst case scenario: Ridley’s experiences complications that ultimately lead to his death. Most

Julio being one of the best WRs of all time + him still being in the back-end of his prime isn't a detractor at all as you're framing it. They consistently bracket Julio with a safety over the top + o

Posted Images

This whole offense (actually let's say CITY of ATLANTA) runs on Julio's back and shoulders, without him they crumble. Ridley and Gage belong to the waiver wire if Julio is out extended time.Last night showed how bad they are and how good Julio is. Guy sucks up the entire attention of the defense so bums like Ridley can run around scoring 3 TD games padding their stats 

Remember the KG commercial? They need one for Julio;

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

image.jpeg.6bc277cbf64a22f589af5b741b20bd44.jpeg

This was on Matty Ice looking awful, not Ridley. As was mentioned, he could have easily had 2 more TD today (one whiff, one wide open where Matty forced it into traffic instead). Panicking owners are welcome to sell him low, but this guy is incredible.

#believe

• Like 3

[...] I thought I came out with a top 5 WR this year.  Top 5 WR's don't get a donut though.  Lets face it, without Julio coverage is going to go towards him.  It started in Chicago and then into last night.  Dude has caught ONE ball since halftime of game 3.  And this team on the road is horrendous.  Ryan is too slow and old.  

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
6 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

[...] I thought I came out with a top 5 WR this year.  Top 5 WR's don't get a donut though.  Lets face it, without Julio coverage is going to go towards him.  It started in Chicago and then into last night.  Dude has caught ONE ball since halftime of game 3.  And this team on the road is horrendous.  Ryan is too slow and old.  

I think that's fair but I also thought top 5 was too ambitious. I still think low end WR1

Lots of panic going on around these parts... which is expected as Ridley probably lost some matchups for some people. 

However, might I need to remind you all that Ridley dropped a goose egg in prime time... and is still the overall WR1 in 0.5 ppr. 

Please, do yourself a favor before panicking and actually watch some of these clips from the game last night. Some huge opportunities missed by Matt Ryan. Ridley quite easily could have had a multi touchdown game if Ryan doesn't make some awful mistakes. 

Lets take a look at what went down:

0:11 - Ridley absolutely cooks Jaire Alexander on a double move during the first drive, if Ryan gets Ridley the ball sooner, Calvin is 1 on 1 vs the safety in open space, and with one cut past the safety Ridley is gone for a 70 yard touchdown.

0:53 - Later in the game Ridley gets on top of Alexander on a go route and just flat out runs away from him, if there's a better throw from Ryan, this is a 40 yard completion with a good chance at 6. 

1:29 - Ridley is open again in the end zone, Ryan's throw is behind him and the safety Adrian Amos is able to close on the ball. If Ryan puts that out in front of Ridley, thats a 26 yard touchdown.

And oh yeah, lets not forget that time Ridley was wide open enough he could have sat there and called his mom while still catching a touchdown if Ryan sees him and throws him the ball.

1544625011_ridleyWideOpen(1)_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.e5f193ada16838f1ce38da9c631cf446.jpg

I think it is fair to say Ridley easily could have had a 50-70 yard two touchdown game if Ryan hits him on the 5 yard TD when he is wide open, and on the 26 yard play when he threw it behind Ridley... let alone the deep ball and double move where Ridley was open as well. 

If Ryan makes these pretty simple NFL throws... what state would this thread be in right now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

We seriously comparing Ridley not being a true #1 to Cooper?  The same Cooper who was the biggest headache to own in Oakland.  He should be a PRIME example of why QB is everything.  It's easy to bash Ridley because of the numbers but you saw how open he was numerous times last night.  You're only an amazing WR when the QB can find you.

Cooper has a QB who currently looks more competent in Dak, who is better able to avoid pressure with better line, mobility and [certainly right now] awareness than Ryan, and far better surrounding options to keep defenses honest (when Julio is out for Ridley).

I just can't believe somebody saying Ridley isn't a true #1 while Cooper is when Cooper was unbearable in Oakland except for a teaser game here and there.  Surrounding situation is everything.  I don't see how someone can consider Ridley incapable of being a number one with a one game sample size where his QB repeatedly missed him open.  I'm laughing typing that part so I'll type it again, one game sample size, with Ridley at his current experience level without Julio most of the game.

Maybe Ridley will prove he's not capable for all I know.  I'm just saying how are we concluding this after one turd.  Mr. Cooper gave us plenty of these with Carr over the years.

Edit: I may be exaggerating Cooper being unbearable in Oakland, I just recall being frustrated with him too often in fantasy there but know he had his moments.  Not even bashing him at all because he's a beast in Dallas.  My points are more for Ridley, not against Cooper.

Edited by CharlesCC2
  • Thanks 1

@next big thing cp84 good post. I've seen this so many times over the years. An elite WR is raking and then has a huge dud, and people overreact in fantasy. Complete goose eggs are rare but they all have duds. The only elite WR I can remember being ultra consistent over the years was Antonio Brown. It was almost super human how he never got shut down. WRs are dependent on their QB to make throws, and they can also be schemed out of games by defenses so this stuff happens. Ridley will be fine, even if Julio is out awhile. 

• Thanks 1

I hate to harp on this game cause it sucked, but was it me or did they continue to have Ridley run deep routes on every attempt.  It seemed that way to me.  Is there any type of slant or quick out route for this guy.  Get the ball in his hands on a screen.  Anything like that?  Every play you see the guy run down field, Ryan under seige and dumps it off to some back or WR I've never heard of.  Ugggggggg.

35 minutes ago, owenmills said:

@next big thing cp84 good post. I've seen this so many times over the years. An elite WR is raking and then has a huge dud, and people overreact in fantasy. Complete goose eggs are rare but they all have duds. The only elite WR I can remember being ultra consistent over the years was Antonio Brown. It was almost super human how he never got shut down. WRs are dependent on their QB to make throws, and they can also be schemed out of games by defenses so this stuff happens. Ridley will be fine, even if Julio is out awhile. 

AB was the greatest WR since rice. Uncoverable and always stayed healthy. Best 5 year run in NFL history for a WR 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

I hate to harp on this game cause it sucked, but was it me or did they continue to have Ridley run deep routes on every attempt.  It seemed that way to me.  Is there any type of slant or quick out route for this guy.  Get the ball in his hands on a screen.  Anything like that?  Every play you see the guy run down field, Ryan under seige and dumps it off to some back or WR I've never heard of.  Ugggggggg.

^This.. Atlanta needs to fire all their coaches..  Ryan sucks too TBH.

Ryan was infuriated with himself. Give credit to a good Green Bay secondary. But Ryan lit it up the first two weeks and I have confidence he and Ridley will bounce back. I drafted the Ryan/Ridley stack knowing that Ryan had a buttload of weapons this year and boy does this sting.

Let me get this straight.  Ridley was WR16 or so in pre-draft rankings.  He's on pace for 84/1396/16 TD!  Instead of people talking about him as a locked and loaded top 10 WR type, because of a terrible game people are ragging on him?  

His next four games are against teams that have been giving up big games to WRs.  He's on a team that sucks and has no D and will have to throw every play.  He'll either have Julio taking attention away from him or he'll be a clear, no doubt, double-digit target alpha dog.  Don't be a snowflake who loses his head because he took a zero.  It happens.  Instead, buckle up the chinstrap and expect huge games incoming.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

Let me get this straight.  Ridley was WR16 or so in pre-draft rankings.  He's on pace for 84/1396/16 TD!  Instead of people talking about him as a locked and loaded top 10 WR type, because of a terrible game people are ragging on him?  

His next four games are against teams that have been giving up big games to WRs.  He's on a team that sucks and has no D and will have to throw every play.  He'll either have Julio taking attention away from him or he'll be a clear, no doubt, double-digit target alpha dog.  Don't be a snowflake who loses his head because he took a zero.  It happens.  Instead, buckle up the chinstrap and expect huge games incoming.

I agree with all your points and I'm not worried about his remaining outlook. But a zero is still an eye opening result. 

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic