svdude

Jorge Soler 2020 Outlook

What do we see for Soler in 2020?  That 2019 breakout was huge.  Did he always have these skills and just need to stay healthy?  He's always had lower BA, did he figure something out there?  Finding him a difficult player to evaluate for 2020.

Dude had a 173 WrC+ in the second half, lowered his Ks, raised his BBs, is this the second coming of Jose Bautista?? Hard contact%, pull% flyball% all support elite power. This guy could be a STUD or a DUD (just like seasons previous). I feel like I'm going to take a chance on him if he falls to me.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, Ecofolux said:

Dude had a 173 WrC+ in the second half, lowered his Ks, raised his BBs, is this the second coming of Jose Bautista?? Hard contact%, pull% flyball% all support elite power. This guy could be a STUD or a DUD (just like seasons previous). I feel like I'm going to take a chance on him if he falls to me.

Falls to when?

I wouldn't expect 40 bombs, even though he's clearly capable. That's my only small knock here, I'd expect lower 30s. Just seems like a classic case of a career year and some regression will occur, but either way he's broken out and is an impact bat for fantasy. 

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Falls to when?

"me" doesn't help you? ;)

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I wouldn't expect 40 bombs, even though he's clearly capable. That's my only small knock here, I'd expect lower 30s. Just seems like a classic case of a career year and some regression will occur, but either way he's broken out and is an impact bat for fantasy. 

30 HR in the rubber ball era is nothing special... 58 players hit 30+ last year... Soler just bombed 48. 

Lower 30s would be massive regression here... I haven't dove into him too much yet to really weigh in but on the surface I'd be surprised if he was healthy and fell off that hard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

30 HR in the rubber ball era is nothing special... 58 players hit 30+ last year... Soler just bombed 48. 

Lower 30s would be massive regression here... I haven't dove into him too much yet to really weigh in but on the surface I'd be surprised if he was healthy and fell off that hard.

Debuted in 2014 and this was  only one of two seasons where he had 400 PAs one time before (Barely) this and last year had 679 PAs.

Between injuries, regression, and perhaps a different ball I wouldn’t be paying for him to be a 40+ home run guy at all.  The upside is clearly there for the outcome, but  I’m doing a projection 32 seems about right. I could easily see a season with less or more than that as well.

I agree 30 home runs isn't as special , but with a decent amount of PAs seems like a good floor.  You need more of these guys anyway since it's less special.

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Assuming rubber ball returns this year. Agreed, but that is not a given yet. The playoffs being de-juiced was rather foreboding last year.

3 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Falls to when?

80-ish pick overall, which seems to be where he's going. I know he's had injuries in the past but KC is going to DH him a ton. If his second half is a precursor of things to come, watch out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

His power is the real deal.  Does he even have that long of an injury history?  I thought a lot of his playing time issues in the past were due to very poor defense and inconsistent hitting.  Not to say he's never been hurt, but 2015 was essentially his rookie year.  2016 his playing time was limited due to performance and the Cubs ascending into a legit contender.  Traded to KC for 2017 when he did have some nagging injuries, but again was largely limited by poor play.  2018 missed most of the year with a toe fracture (not exactly an "injury prone" kind of injury).

I think now that he's fully broken out, every day DH, with no worries about losing PT if he slumps, there's not turning back.  The beast has been unleashed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

80-ish pick overall, which seems to be where he's going. I know he's had injuries in the past but KC is going to DH him a ton. If his second half is a precursor of things to come, watch out!

That's right about where I would pick him as well

Are you guys worried about the return of Sal Perez, and him eating up ABs at DH?  Is Soler a solid enough defender to play RF every day? 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, HackAZach said:

Are you guys worried about the return of Sal Perez, and him eating up ABs at DH?  Is Soler a solid enough defender to play RF every day? 

0% worry. Teams don’t sit their best hitters often. Even their second or third.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

im stuck between soler and ozuna. soler coming off massive breakout vs ozuna having high avg upside in better lineup. 2 down years for ozuna mostly because of inj.

12 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

im stuck between soler and ozuna. soler coming off massive breakout vs ozuna having high avg upside in better lineup. 2 down years for ozuna mostly because of inj.

Never been a big fan of Ozuna, I would go with Soler

5 minutes ago, checkers said:

is he playing this week?

Yes family issue but playing tomorrow...meeting the team...

Sixteen games in, and he has 5 HR, 10 RBI, and 8 Rs. Still a ton of Ks, but he's doing what he was drafted/purchased to do...be a slugger. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Sixteen games in, and he has 5 HR, 10 RBI, and 8 Rs. Still a ton of Ks, but he's doing what he was drafted/purchased to do...be a slugger. 

Agreed.  I strategically drafted OBP to allow for his power.  And he’s holding up his end of the deal. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just traded for him in a keeper league. Feel like he is underrated right now despite playing well. Statcast basically same as last year. 

Edited by bluefrogguy
  • Like 1

He has been dreadful since the several posts above. 12 Ks the past 3 games killing me right now. Any insight into what's going on with him right now?  I haven't watched any Royals baseball.

Tempted to bench him for awhile...

One-year wonder - overrated

Posted (edited)

With 3 weeks to go i don’t think you can wait out slumps with guys  like soler or Suarez. There’s so many guys who are red hot On the wire I think I’m gonna Cut bait

Edited by jay2491

Was trying to trade for him but pumping the brakes hard now that he's struck out 12 times in last 15 PAs... any indication of injury or something?