cashvillesent

Gardner Minshew 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Looking good in training camp, throwing darts! You just need to suffer Colin Cowherd for a few minutes....okay, it's workouts from a few months ago, but I'll take what I can get. Carry on. 

Edited by pikerbkb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think he's going to be this year's late round breakout QB. He has good weapons and a terrible defense. Perfect storm for fantasy

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 3

While researching Minshew, I came upon this interesting info regarding Jay Gruden (Minshew's new offensive coordinator). Since becoming an OC or head coach, here are how his QB's have ranked fantasy-wise:

--2011 Cincinnati: Dalton #18 QB (as a rookie)
--2012 Cincinnati: Dalton #12 QB
--2013 Cincinnati: Dalton #5 QB
--2014 Washington: N/A (three different QB's start 4 or more games each)
--2015 Washington: Cousins #8 QB
--2016 Washington: Cousins #5 QB
--2017 Washington: Cousins #6 QB
--2018 Washington: N/A (four different QB's start a game)
--2019 Washington: N/A (Gruden fired after 0-5 start)

Not too shabby...especially considering neither Dalton or Cousins were high draft picks (Dalton went in the 2nd round, Cousins in the 4th round)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Corleone said:

While researching Minshew, I came upon this interesting info regarding Jay Gruden (Minshew's new offensive coordinator). Since becoming an OC or head coach, here are how his QB's have ranked fantasy-wise:

--2011 Cincinnati: Dalton #18 QB (as a rookie)
--2012 Cincinnati: Dalton #12 QB
--2013 Cincinnati: Dalton #5 QB
--2014 Washington: N/A (three different QB's start 4 or more games each)
--2015 Washington: Cousins #8 QB
--2016 Washington: Cousins #5 QB
--2017 Washington: Cousins #6 QB
--2018 Washington: N/A (four different QB's start a game)
--2019 Washington: N/A (Gruden fired after 0-5 start)

Not too shabby...especially considering neither Dalton or Cousins were high draft picks (Dalton went in the 2nd round, Cousins in the 4th round)

Just to add another layer to this, here are the fantasy ranks across full seasons for each QB without Gruden:

--Dalton
2014: #18 QB
2015: #18 QB (he did miss 3 games and for PPG, he was #10)
2016: #13 QB
2017: #17 QB

--Cousins
2018: #13 QB
2019: #18 QB

Both QB's suffered a definite drop compared to their time with Gruden.

11 hours ago, Corleone said:

--Cousins
2018: #13 QB
2019: #18 QB

Both QB's suffered a definite drop compared to their time with Gruden.

Yup, but for Cousins that was mostly due to a change in philosophy from the Vikings (they switched to run-first).

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yup, but for Cousins that was mostly due to a change in philosophy from the Vikings (they switched to run-first).

New team and philosophy, yes. But at the end of his first Vikings season, Cousins still tied his career-high in pass attempts (he threw 606 times in 2018, which tied the 606 he had in Washington during 2016...and was over 60 passes more than he threw in 2 of his 3 full WAS seasons). 

• Thanks 1

Is the running game a concern for anyone? Teams pretty much stacked the box and sold out to stop Fournette last year... With a bare cupboard at RB it's going to put a ton more pressure on the passing game.

6 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Is the running game a concern for anyone? Teams pretty much stacked the box and sold out to stop Fournette last year... With a bare cupboard at RB it's going to put a ton more pressure on the passing game.

I think you may see an increase in the dump offs and screen game to help take the pressure of him - but I still think he's going to throw a ton (and a few scrambles as well)

• Like 1

Did anyone tell the Minshew Maniacs that Gardner was supposed to tank for trevor lawrence?

Minshew will win some games this year maybe more than washington, cinncinati, or chicago.

• Like 1

Minshew will likely outperform his ADP the most of any QB.  He's drafted as a backup, but very sneakily will flirt with top 10 numbers.  Terrible defense leading to lots of passing, surprisingly decent receivers around him.  And he runs.  He was #5 in QB rushing as a rookie, more than Wilson, Prescott, Mahomes, and other notable running QBs.  They will have plenty of garbage time against prevent defenses, when scrambles lead to nice fantasy points.  

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been said, but in his 3 full seasons with Jay Gruden calling plays (2015-2017), Kirk Cousins ran 108 times for 323 yards and 13 (!) touchdowns. Since leaving Jay Gruden and moving to Minnesota (2 years), he has run for 186 yards but only 2 touchdowns. In his rookie year, in only 12 full games, Gardner Minshew ran 64 times for 330 yards. Extrapolated over 16 games, that's 85 carries for 440 yards. No TDs though.

Jay Gruden now calls plays for Jags, who traded away their goal line back from a year ago. 😏

• Like 2

Can he be the next garbage time blake bortles who won leagues? 

• Like 2

Brett Favre lite?

He's my starter this week since I took QB waaaaay late.  Worked well enough with Stafford his magical season.

And yeah, almost certainly going to be dumpoffs to Shenault and Chris Thompson to pad his passing yardage.

Might be a little concerned with Shenault around the goal-line with Wildcat looks taking away some of his TDs though.  But he might run in enough of them himself to make up for it.

11 minutes ago, Robrain said:

Brett Favre lite?

He's my starter this week since I took QB waaaaay late.  Worked well enough with Stafford his magical season.

And yeah, almost certainly going to be dumpoffs to Shenault and Chris Thompson to pad his passing yardage.

Might be a little concerned with Shenault around the goal-line with Wildcat looks taking away some of his TDs though.  But he might run in enough of them himself to make up for it.

I'm with you brother... i got gardner as my boy and I can dig it

As a Stafford/wentz owner he will be my number one target this week, thinking about dumping 15-20% of Faab

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stay_woke said:

As a Stafford/wentz owner he will be my number one target this week, thinking about dumping 15-20% of Faab

I drafted Wentz and took a flier on Minshew late. I started Wentz, which is fine since I'll still win my match up, but nice to know I should be able to reliably start Minshew going forward. 

it's toobad jacksonville looks like they're trying to tank this guy is a franchise QB, build around him!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meekzy said:

it's toobad jacksonville looks like they're trying to tank this guy is a franchise QB, build around him!

They won today...Lol. 

4Net sucks balls if that’s what you’re referring to. 

Edited by Sonny_D

1 minute ago, Sonny_D said:

They won today...Lol. 

4Net sucks balls. 

they won but all their roster moves to this point show that they don't think minshew is the future though, which is sad.

Watched the entire game today and was super impressed by Minshew. Extremely sound decisions and looking off guarded receivers (19/20 are you kidding me!) and has some legs too. Absolutely love his positivity he brings the most however.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 2