ajs723

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

Here's the list of RBs who had a minimum of 200 carries and had a better broken tackle per attempt rate than DMo. 

Aaron Jones

Phillip Lindsay

That's it. That's the list. Not Elliott. Not Henry. Not Chubb. Etc.

I maintain that Montgomery can be an absolutely elite NFL RB if he has even an average offensive line and running scheme. That's far from a guarantee though, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

Should be at an affordable price for 2020

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Here's the list of RBs who had a minimum of 200 carries and had a better broken tackle per attempt rate than DMo. 

Aaron Jones

Phillip Lindsay

I maintain that Montgomery can be an absolutely elite NFL RB if he has even an average offensive line and running scheme. That's far from a guarantee though, unfortunately. 

What's your definition of elite ? IMO elite backs produce regardless of OL problems.  I doubt he'll ever be a Tier 1 RB unless he's in a perfect situation.

He's got good, nimble feet. It doesn't surprise me he break a lot of tackles. I just don't think he's real fast or explosive which limits him IMO. 

I was high on Monty coming into this season and I'm still high on him to a degree. There's no question he was effected by the system and surrounding parts. It's a shame (for fantasy purposes) that Cohen is there because that eats into his receiving upside which I think is one of his strengths.  He can be the RB2 next year we hoped for this year but "elite" might be too strong a word for me.

Edited by fletch44

22 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

What's your definition of elite ? IMO elite backs produce regardless of OL problems.  I doubt he'll ever be a Tier 1 RB unless he's in a perfect situation.

He's got good, nimble feet. It doesn't surprise me he break a lot of tackles. I just don't think he's real fast or explosive which limits him IMO. 

I was high on Monty coming into this season and I'm still high on him to a degree. There's no question he was effected by the system and surrounding parts. It's a shame (for fantasy purposes) that Cohen is there because that eats into his receiving upside which I think is one of his strengths.  He can be the RB2 next year we hoped for this year but "elite" might be too strong a word for me.

I think you're downplaying the importance of competent line play. Elite RBs don't need great o-lines, but they need better than God awful ones. The bottom five run-blocking lines were KC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Miami, and the Jets.

Despite having some very good RBs (DMo, Bell, Conner, McCoy, Drake) , none of those teams produced a top 15 fantasy back. Imagine how much better those backs would have been with decent to good lines. Hell, Drake broke out with Arizona, and they aren't even average (21st ranked line VS. dead last in Miami). 

As long as Tarik Cohen and Nagy are there, Monty's receiving upside is capped.  Bad coaching limits good players.

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

Nagy still the coach? Gonna be a hard pass for me, dawg

QFT. 

Nagy is his biggest problem/obstacle moving forward. 

• Like 1

I’d take a gamble if the bears fix their oLine. Just look what happened with bell after he joined a s---y jets team with a s---y line. Even elite backs need some help up front. 

Not only will I never select Montgomery again as long as Nagy is the coach, I will never draft any player on any team coached by Nagy ever again.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Aaron Jones

Phillip Lindsay

He breaks tackles because he’s not good enough to avoid contact. If he wasn’t able to break tackles at a high rate he wouldn’t even be an NFL player.

The way that Miles Sanders was used at the end of the season is how I envisioned Monty being used.   A mix of running and receiving that would make it harder for the defense to know what was coming.   And Cohen would fill in on third downs here and there.

But it was perplexing to not see him used in the passing game much when they let Howard go and traded up to get Monty because he had 3 down skills.

Only 35 targets for the full year.  Where Sanders was consistently getting 5 targets per game.

Until they get a new QB, Monty's ceiling will be limited and he will be inconsistent week to week. They simply didn't generate enough offense last year. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, devaster said:

And so the hype begins.

giphy.gif

Two down banger on a crappy offense.  Not saying Monty can't be used more in the passing game, but he wasn't this year.  Learned my lesson over the years to stay away from two down bangers on crappy offenses.  Especially an offense lead by Nagy and Trubisky?  No thanks.  

Edited by Fort4242
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This guy’s best play was a breakaway run against the chargers and he got chased down from behind showing how slow and unathletic he really is.  There will be better will more talented players coming into the league every year.  Or teams with better situations.  No need to invest in a jag on a suspect team.  

• Like 1

Wonder how this might impact Montgomery...

Bears hired ex-Bengals OC Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator.

Lazor was out of the league in 2019 after serving as the Bengals OC in 2017 and 2018. He previously also worked with the Dolphins, Eagles, Seahawks, Redskins and Falcons. Lazor's main job will obviously be improving Mitchell Trubisky's generally-erratic play. It remains to be seen if he'll call plays.

RELATED: 
Jan 13, 2020, 5:52 PM ET

17 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Wonder how this might impact Montgomery...

Bears hired ex-Bengals OC Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator.

Lazor was out of the league in 2019 after serving as the Bengals OC in 2017 and 2018. He previously also worked with the Dolphins, Eagles, Seahawks, Redskins and Falcons. Lazor's main job will obviously be improving Mitchell Trubisky's generally-erratic play. It remains to be seen if he'll call plays.

RELATED: 
Jan 13, 2020, 5:52 PM ET

I don’t see how it would unless Nagy cedes playcalling duties.

hired Defillipio or however it is spelt, but as an owner of Monty in numerous dynasty and keeper leagues, I am kind of going to eat what I took. Unless this line improves it won't be much different. The only bears player even worth buying is AROB and maybe Miller, but he his on another shoulder surgery. 

Bears GM Ryan Pace said David Montgomery can be the team's "featured back" and "carry a heavier load" in 2020.

That's assuming the Bears opt to run more next season. Montgomery wasn't truly leaned on until midway through the year but still out-carried Tarik Cohen by a whopping margin (242 to 64), finishing as the overall RB24 in PPR leagues despite pedestrian marks (242/889/6, 3.67 YPA). Still lacking a complementary bruiser behind him, Montgomery would ultimately need to catch more than just 25 passes to garner unequivocal RB2 status. Taylor Gabriel's recent release could shift Cohen into a more slot-friendly role, though, providing further fruitful usage directly out of the backfield for the sophomore runner in his follow-up campaign.

Feb 25, 2020, 10:31 AM ET

He was pretty underwhelming last season when he carried the ball.   Had good balance and extended a few plays but didn't look very quick.   With Cohen there, I don't know that he'll see significantly more targets.  

On 1/10/2020 at 6:17 AM, ajs723 said:

Aaron Jones

Phillip Lindsay

Problem is thats not a great thing.  The line and play calling were so bad he had to make 3 guys miss just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Unless he's available in the 7th round or latter won't touch him.  Learned my lesson after last two years with howard and him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Problem is thats not a great thing.  The line and play calling were so bad he had to make 3 guys miss just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Unless he's available in the 7th round or latter won't touch him.  Learned my lesson after last two years with howard and him.

x2