ajs723

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, Rainyy said:

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned now and then, usually in passing.  

This place is mostly reserved for quiet reflection about such questions as "why is David Montgomery on my fantasy team," "why will no one accept my trade offer of David Montgomery," and "why should I care about this person?"  

I say all this because the truth is there's no answer to your question.  No one here knows how to feel about Montgomery.  That's the Nagy effect.  Foles + no Cohen should, in theory, be a major boost to Montgomery.  But for all we know Patterson gets the bulk of Cohen's receiving work and Montgomery continues on his usual pedestrian track.  

While other threads get a "hype train," we have more of a "mystery box."  It could be a motorboat, but it could also be a 19th century stagecoach.  

Just traded for Montgomery myself, and this post is absolute perfection. 

Glad to join in with you all. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

Just traded for Montgomery myself, and this post is absolute perfection. 

Glad to join in with you all. 

Welcome to the Hotel Montgomery

Such a dreary place.

• Like 2

I told myself, I wouldn't do it again, but I did it. Here he is, somehow in my lineup. I bought a 12 pack of corona and a bottle of Jameson to drown my sorrows for what I believe is the the fools gold. Nagy got me again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He was supposed to see an uptick in touches with Tarik gone but instead sees the fewest touches he has all season. Important to note he would’ve hauled in an easy 30+ yard reception late in the game but had his hand held back by the defender. Would’ve helped him meet his projection. Still, it’s disappointing usage and only proves that all the speculation and optimism must be taken with a gigantic Nagy-sized grain of salt. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't really panic yet.  I was expecting a poor showing against one of the best D's in the league.  On top of that Indy got up early.

The only real positive from today's game IMO was the 6 targets.  So we have another 1-2 PPG to look forward to.  Otherwise we really need the Bears to get to the goal-line.

Posted (edited)

Nagy out here nagying yet again. Nagy is the RB killer not even a cohen injury and better qb can stop nagy

Edited by Guwop

Can't really judge him on this game, Indy has a fantastic run D.

• Like 2

Not loving this week's matchup but he is doing better than many RBs drafted ahead of him. Tough to start, tough to drop, tentative hold.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Montgomery season long? Not to turn this into coach forum but have a Melvin Gordon for Monty offer on the table. 85% snap count and 6 targets looks fantastic from the outside looking in. Cake schedule. There is just this one nagying issue...

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.  

The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season high of 6 targets (previous high of only 3).  He also did reasonably well with the targets that he got.  Hopefully that instills confidence in the coaching staff.  

More importantly, Montgomery was used exclusively in a pass-heavy script, i.e., the 2-minute drill.  Previously, this was Cohen's domain and Montgomery would be on the bench. 

Reminder that the Bears have a mediocre offensive line and Nagy hates to run -- so increased carries was never a good path for increasing Montgomery's relevance.  But in PPR formats, more passing work will definitely matter.  

It's possible that Lamar Miller (signed to Bear's practice squad) siphons off some of the passing work in the weeks to come.  However, Montgomery is the only true RB currently on the roster who is trusted so right now we should feel good.  Montgomery, for the first time ever, is a true three-down back.  A three-down back in a middling offense, who probably won't ever see 20+ carries, but a three-down back nonetheless.  

I'll call Montgomery a high-end RB2 going forward, with the caveat that this could certainly change depending on Lamar Miller.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Montgomery, for the first time ever, is a true three-down back.  A three-down back in a middling offense, who probably won't ever see 20+ carries, but a three-down back nonetheless.  

this

8 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Not loving this week's matchup but he is doing better than many RBs drafted ahead of him. Tough to start, tough to drop, tentative hold.

8 hours ago, Rainyy said:

I actually think last game was positive for Montgomery.  

The one thing I was looking for was whether Cohen's passing work would transfer over to Montgomery.  It did.  Montgomery had a season high of 6 targets (previous high of only 3).  He also did reasonably well with the targets that he got.  Hopefully that instills confidence in the coaching staff.  

More importantly, Montgomery was used exclusively in a pass-heavy script, i.e., the 2-minute drill.  Previously, this was Cohen's domain and Montgomery would be on the bench. 

Reminder that the Bears have a mediocre offensive line and Nagy hates to run -- so increased carries was never a good path for increasing Montgomery's relevance.  But in PPR formats, more passing work will definitely matter.  

It's possible that Lamar Miller (signed to Bear's practice squad) siphons off some of the passing work in the weeks to come.  However, Montgomery is the only true RB currently on the roster who is trusted so right now we should feel good.  Montgomery, for the first time ever, is a true three-down back.  A three-down back in a middling offense, who probably won't ever see 20+ carries, but a three-down back nonetheless.  

I'll call Montgomery a high-end RB2 going forward, with the caveat that this could certainly change depending on Lamar Miller.  

I'm not as optimistic as Rainyy because of the offense he's in, but there's no way I'd drop Montgomery.  I'll call him a low-end RB2 or maybe mid-level RB2 for now.  He still gets a good number of touches and he's still a good bet for 60-70ish yards, we just haven't really had the goal-line chances yet.  I wouldn't want to start him every week unless I'm desperate but I'm perfectly fine with him being bye week filler.

Posted (edited)

Lol nobody is dropping this guy. He's in line for probably 20 touches every week. After TB that schedule gets real juicy too.

Edited by LongBalls

8 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Lol nobody is dropping this guy. He's in line for probably 20 touches every week. After TB that schedule gets real juicy too.

for real what league are people dropping a top 20 Bellcow RB I don’t care how bad his team is...nonsense talk.  I get some teams may be too stacked to plug and play him every week but I’d wager most don’t even have another option.

3 hours ago, LAeagle said:

No other choice but to trot him out on TNF. I feel gross. 

The volume should be there. Hopefully he gets a TD for ya. These Thursday games are so weird so hopefully it's one of the good weirds 

1 hour ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

The volume should be there. Hopefully he gets a TD for ya. These Thursday games are so weird so hopefully it's one of the good weirds 

Ya with the loss of barkley and ekeler montgomery will be entering my lineup next to drake. But I have Freeman waiting to be unleashed on my bench 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rookieadrian said:

Ya with the loss of barkley and ekeler montgomery will be entering my lineup next to drake. But I have Freeman waiting to be unleashed on my bench 

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he does enough tonight for you. That TD or No TD will be huge tonight

Posted (edited)

[...]

How high up are people ranking him? 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content

23 minutes ago, midlip said:

[...]

How high up are people ranking him? 

ROS? Or this week? 

This week 22-28. 

ROS 16-18

I just really hope my fantasy week isn't over after tonight for playing Monty. 

Outside of the elite runners in Kamara and CMC, TB has completely locked RBs fantasy wise just don't have any other options.