ajs723

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

I don't believe in this guy. Talent should be shining through sometimes despite the bad offensive line.

• Like 1

This situation stinks. He’s an RB3 at best. More like a bye week filler.

Despite his low upside he is still RB18 in ESPN PPR. You just have to know what you're getting into before you hop on the DMont train.

15 minutes ago, Andy Mick said:

Despite his low upside he is still RB18 in ESPN PPR. You just have to know what you're getting into before you hop on the DMont train.

Let someone else spend the draft capital then buy low :P 

2 hours ago, ponchsox said:

He’s an RB2, getting solid volume. 

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Depends. In any league 12 teams or over, yeah.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

In .5ppt he is RB 22 on the year.  Sits next to DJ, Gaskin, and Gibson.  So yes, low end RB2 in 12 team leagues or higher.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, hangin n wangin said:

My friend said he looks like a plotter. I haven’t watched him this year but I know he’s the three down back so I will take the chance on that. 

He"ll get you 10 points a week in .5ppr. This guy dances in the backfield every single time. He does this hopstep looking for a hole with a terrible offensive line. Not a recipe for success. The Bears also lost their best lineman, James Daniels. Hes not gonna win you any weeks, but hes a good flex. Last game the Bears were 1st and goal from the 2. After getting denied twice DMont against a s---y run defense, Foles sneaked it in. Bears need O-Line so bad I hope they trade for some

23 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

He"ll get you 10 points a week in .5ppr. This guy dances in the backfield every single time. He does this hopstep looking for a hole with a terrible offensive line. Not a recipe for success. The Bears also lost their best lineman, James Daniels. Hes not gonna win you any weeks, but hes a good flex. Last game the Bears were 1st and goal from the 2. After getting denied twice DMont against a s---y run defense, Foles sneaked it in. Bears need O-Line so bad I hope they trade for some

He kind of reminds me of the way Joe Addai used to jitterbug like on instinct on every run.

One cut and go would be nice.

• Like 1

Yes he's a bit of a plodder, but he's pretty much a lock for 20+ touches per game, including probably 5-7 targets. He also has one of the best schedules for a fantasy RB for the rest of the season; possibly the single best schedule, actually.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 2

Volume is king.  From my pre-Week 6 RB Rankings write up:

16.  Montgomery.  Look at the depth chart behind this guy.  This is a team that is going to be committed to the run and now will use Montgomery more in the passing game with Cohen laid up.  Talent is questionable to be sure but the Bears are going to be in most games and using him as a lead back.  The guy was on the field 85% and 81% of snaps the last two games.  Those are "alpha dog" numbers.  And yes, if you're looking for volume at an undervalued price right now, go seek out the Montgomery owner.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Volume is king.  From my pre-Week 6 RB Rankings write up:

16.  Montgomery.  Look at the depth chart behind this guy.  This is a team that is going to be committed to the run and now will use Montgomery more in the passing game with Cohen laid up.  Talent is questionable to be sure but the Bears are going to be in most games and using him as a lead back.  The guy was on the field 85% and 81% of snaps the last two games.  Those are "alpha dog" numbers.  And yes, if you're looking for volume at an undervalued price right now, go seek out the Montgomery owner.

Volume is key but that’s touches not snap count.

He broke 15 carries once. 

24 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Volume is key but that’s touches not snap count.

He broke 15 carries once. 

He's tied for 14th in carries and he's 8th in targets among RBs this season.  And he has 17 targets in the last 3 games (the games after Cohen got hurt).  The volume is there, and will continue to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

He's tied for 14th in carries and he's 8th in targets among RBs this season.  And he has 17 targets in the last 3 games (the games after Cohen got hurt).  The volume is there, and will continue to be.

As far as I’m concerned he needs to be a lot higher than 14th considering he is in arguably the worst run scheme in the entire league. 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, ponchsox said:

His o-line stinks and that's probably not going to change this year. I find it odd they paid his sidekick pretty big sidekick money right before the season kicked off. 

Edited by Spyplane

This guy doesn't break any long runs. Good to see people view him rather highly, I might try and shop him around. 

15 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

This guy doesn't break any long runs. Good to see people view him rather highly, I might try and shop him around. 

Keep in mind most people in here likely own him, they're invested. Not the best sample group to gauge value.

59 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Keep in mind most people in here likely own him, they're invested. Not the best sample group to gauge value.

It's like eBay when you see an item for sale for $100 but then when you look at what items sold for and it's actually $30. 

There is a lot of value in a team trusting the back and him having no real competition for that lead role. The fact that he has a great defense so the team is competitive is also a huge plus. I don't think he is going to ever get you 50 points and win a week but he has a steady floor and I could see  a few multi TD games in his future.  

5 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

It's like eBay when you see an item for sale for $100 but then when you look at what items sold for and it's actually $30. 

There is a lot of value in a team trusting the back and him having no real competition for that lead role. The fact that he has a great defense so the team is competitive is also a huge plus. I don't think he is going to ever get you 50 points and win a week but he has a steady floor and I could see  a few multi TD games in his future.  

Alright, well here's my forecast and its based on the bears o-line and what we've seen so far:

QUErGQT.gif

On 10/22/2020 at 8:35 AM, ponchsox said:

Should always shop around any non set and forget players. 

Montgomery is like the Anti-Kamara.  Lots of touches, zero efficiency.

• Like 1

Just now, ZappB said:

Montgomery is like the Anti-Kamara.  Lots of touches, zero efficiency.

Agreed. And it’s not even a huge knock against him as a player. He’s certainly no world-beater, but that Bear oline does him no favors. Rams were in his grill at the LOS every single run. 

Combine that with Foles getting worse by the week, and Nagy’s vanilla play calling, and they’ve managed to cap any upside whatsoever. 

Just happy he got a few garbage time dump-offs to save the day. 

• Like 1

There's just nothing you can do about it. Yards per carry be darned he's a pretty locked in mid range RB2. He's one of the safer ones too.