ajs723

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, The G Man said:

Eh, I don’t know, man.  Not only was he among the worst backs in Yards Created (-0.43) - right between Sony Michel and...Royce Freeman(?) - the team didn’t really do much to upgrade that line (which was pretty bad) or even the offense as a whole (unless you count Foles as a major upgrade).

Also, what the article omits entirely is the issue of how inept Nagy is at scheming a running game.  This has been an issue for Bears backs going back to the beginning of his tenure.  Either unimaginative play-calling or overly imaginative gimmickry has been his hallmark.  I wish I could see it, but I don’t foresee him ending up as more than a bottom-tier RB2 due mainly to volume.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:43 AM, youngrice said:

Problem is thats not a great thing.  The line and play calling were so bad he had to make 3 guys miss just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Unless he's available in the 7th round or latter won't touch him.  Learned my lesson after last two years with howard and him.

I learned my lesson after Howard and am never touching a back in that offense again as long as the coach is a guy that rather run with TEs and defensive linemen inside the 5.

• Like 3

Stay away from anyone not named allen robinson in the bears offense.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Stay away from anyone not named allen robinson in the bears offense.

Going to draft Kmet. I can already sense Nagy giving him more GL carries than Montgomery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Going to draft Kmet. I can already sense Nagy giving him more GL carries than Montgomery. 

If you want a TE, draft one of your Seahawks.

What is Carroll trying to do anyway, is he hoarding TEs or does he want to run a trick play with only TEs? The Philly special with extra Carroll on top?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

If you want a TE, draft one of your Seahawks.

What is Carroll trying to do anyway, is he hoarding TEs or does he want to run a trick play with only TEs? The Philly special with extra Carroll on top?

And here I thought you were talking about Nagy for a moment!

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:55 AM, The G Man said:

With due respect I don't see how you are bullish on Montgomery after reading this. 

Honestly, I don't see how the author is bullish on Montgomery after writing this. 

The points the article makes are:

> Last year Montgomery was bad at yards after contact despite breaking tackles.

> The Bears offensive line should suck again this year.

> The Bear's new OC has used an RBBC wherever he has gone so hopefully he won't use one in Chicago.

> He caught a few passes

> The Bears offense sucks. It can't suck that bad again.

> "only 9-of-153 RBs with at least 250 touches in a season failed to finish better than the PPR RB24" … and Montgomery was one of them.

> He'll get 250 touches.

Throw in Matt Nagy and I'm just not convinced 250 touches is going to be enough. 

Plus, I don't understand giving the benefit of the doubt to Montgomery but not The Human Joystick who looks electric when he gets room to run.

At his current ADP I want to believe but I just don't get it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, FreakFries said:

With due respect I don't see how you are bullish on Montgomery after reading this. 

Honestly, I don't see how the author is bullish on Montgomery after writing this. 

The points the article makes are:

> Last year Montgomery was bad at yards after contact despite breaking tackles.

> The Bears offensive line should suck again this year.

> The Bear's new OC has used an RBBC wherever he has gone so hopefully he won't use one in Chicago.

> He caught a few passes

> The Bears offense sucks. It can't suck that bad again.

> "only 9-of-153 RBs with at least 250 touches in a season failed to finish better than the PPR RB24" … and Montgomery was one of them.

> He'll get 250 touches.

Throw in Matt Nagy and I'm just not convinced 250 touches is going to be enough. 

Plus, I don't understand giving the benefit of the doubt to Montgomery but not The Human Joystick who looks electric when he gets room to run.

At his current ADP I want to believe but I just don't get it. 

I agree with you so much. I’ve disliked this player since they drafted him. Usually broken tackles and missed tackles is a good indicator of talent but he it seems that he is so slow with such a lack of burst that he gets nowhere after making a man miss and is tackled for a minimal gain after making someone miss. Tarik Cohen is pretty awesome not great in between the tackles but he will always get his touches and if the bears are down late he’s an elite receiving option. They’ll will likely be poor QB play and switching of qbs multiple times. Id only take this guy if he fell to me late late. I’d rather take a swing on someone else, nearly anyone else 

• Like 2

So excited for someone in all of my leagues to overreach for a Matt Nagy RB. Enjoy the head scratching and irregular play calling that will most likely lead to undependable point scoring from the rb, so your team will finish around .500.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

So excited for someone in all of my leagues to overreach for a Matt Nagy RB. Enjoy the head scratching and irregular play calling that will most likely lead to undependable point scoring from the rb, so your team will finish around .500.

I can totally relate. I had Jordan Howard two years ago with Nagy and it absolutely sucked. Even when Jordan was having a good game and clearly getting into a solid groove like he did against the Jets, Nagy would pull him out and start limiting his touches. I honest to God wonder if the thought process was, "Howard is unstoppable today so the defense will expect me to keep riding him and racking up yards therefore I WON'T use Howard and try throwing the ball which HASN'T been working. They won't be expecting that!"

No Nagy. They were not expecting that. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Tarik Cohen is pretty awesome not great in between the tackles but he will always get his touches and if the bears are down late he’s an elite receiving option.

If Cohen is indeed an elite receiving option, you sure wouldn’t know if from last year: he only managed 456 yards and 2 TDs on 79 receptions, along with a fairly sad 5.8 YPR.  About as disappointing a season as you could imagine after his electric debut.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, lolcopter said:

Nagy still the coach? Gonna be a hard pass for me, dawg

Yeah this is a huge detriment to monty, though at his current adp I still think he’s a good value for his projected workload and skill improvement 

6 hours ago, FreakFries said:

I can totally relate. I had Jordan Howard two years ago with Nagy and it absolutely sucked. Even when Jordan was having a good game and clearly getting into a solid groove like he did against the Jets, Nagy would pull him out and start limiting his touches. I honest to God wonder if the thought process was, "Howard is unstoppable today so the defense will expect me to keep riding him and racking up yards therefore I WON'T use Howard and try throwing the ball which HASN'T been working. They won't be expecting that!"

No Nagy. They were not expecting that. 

Crazy how nagy single handedly tanked his career. From 2500+ rushing yards his first 2 seasons to what like 1500 in his next two? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Crazy how nagy single handedly tanked his career. From 2500+ rushing yards his first 2 seasons to what like 1500 in his next two? 

Yes. Howard isn’t great as a pass catcher but he had some very respectable years as a runner. It will be interesting to see what he does in Miami. If they are successful in improving that O line he might be able to revive his career a bit. Unfortunately Miami has a brutal schedule of run defenses this year so he’ll probably have to get a chance next year too. 

The other thing that is ironic to me about Montgomery vs Howard is they seem to be very similar types of players and it seems like Howard is the better of the two. I really don’t get Nagy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FreakFries said:

Yes. Howard isn’t great as a pass catcher but he had some very respectable years as a runner. It will be interesting to see what he does in Miami. If they are successful in improving that O line he might be able to revive his career a bit. Unfortunately Miami has a brutal schedule of run defenses this year so he’ll probably have to get a chance next year too. 

The other thing that is ironic to me about Montgomery vs Howard is they seem to be very similar types of players and it seems like Howard is the better of the two. I really don’t get Nagy

I forget the exact stat but Howard’s best ypc By far came from outside zone plays. Plays he actually ran a good bit under John fox. Then nagy gets there and he runs iso after iso up the middle or some pitch way outside. I’m not sure I’ve seen rbs used in a worse way. When they first brought in Allen Robinson, I thought that would be great to take some of the stacked boxes away from Howard, but nope. Nagy is such a weird guy. I actually think his bizzaro play calling is one of the reasons Bellamy (not sure how to spell chiefs OC) didn’t get a HC offer. Some tangible concerns that Reid is the offensive guru there, not his OCs 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I forget the exact stat but Howard’s best ypc By far came from outside zone plays. Plays he actually ran a good bit under John fox. Then nagy gets there and he runs iso after iso up the middle or some pitch way outside. I’m not sure I’ve seen rbs used in a worse way. When they first brought in Allen Robinson, I thought that would be great to take some of the stacked boxes away from Howard, but nope. Nagy is such a weird guy. I actually think his bizzaro play calling is one of the reasons Bellamy (not sure how to spell chiefs OC) didn’t get a HC offer. Some tangible concerns that Reid is the offensive guru there, not his OCs 

HC's aren't brought in for their play-calling savvy though. They are brought in for everything they bring to the table. Learning under Reid (one of the great offensive minds) is a big plus. Pederson won a SB and so did Reid in the last few years. Nagy's offensive is handcuffed by Trubisky far more than the play-calling imo.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, devaster said:

HC's aren't brought in for their play-calling savvy though. They are brought in for everything they bring to the table. Learning under Reid (one of the great offensive minds) is a big plus. Pederson won a SB and so did Reid in the last few years. Nagy's offensive is handcuffed by Trubisky far more than the play-calling imo.

You can’t argue with that!

Trashbinsky is no bueno.

Still, Nagy is certainly very creative with his Xs and Os but it seems to me individual players and entire offenses only really thrive and get on hot streaks when they get in a comfortable groove and then start building momentum off of that. That’s what builds chemistry. The year I had Howard and the games I saw,  Nagy rarely allowed this to happen with anyone outside of Trubinsky whom he had throw the ball seemingly on every play including 4 times on 1st and goal from the 1 in one game. I think Nagy is very creative but I think he is incorporating so many complex plays and change ups that no one is able to get in that comfort zone and build the momentum necessary to hit that chemistry that makes teams great. 

Edited by FreakFries

Mitch is reliant on Nagy's play calling which was atrocious last year combined with a terrible O-line, almost impossible for Mitch to succeed. Monty is tied to Mitch, will only take a step forward if Mitch/Nagy can take a step forward. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox1390 said:

Mitch is reliant on Nagy's play calling which was atrocious last year combined with a terrible O-line, almost impossible for Mitch to succeed. Monty is tied to Mitch, will only take a step forward if Mitch/Nagy can take a step forward. 

Going to be Foles starting this season.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Nagy is he can’t or flat out refuses to adjust his scheme to his roster.

Also, his running scheme is genuinely one of the worst I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BMcP said:

If Cohen is indeed an elite receiving option, you sure wouldn’t know if from last year: he only managed 456 yards and 2 TDs on 79 receptions, along with a fairly sad 5.8 YPR.  About as disappointing a season as you could imagine after his electric debut.

eww that’s grounds for firing Nagy right there 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, devaster said:

EYPWzUxXsAgYBfX.jpg

• Haha 6

In my keeper league, we can keep one player as long as they're not drafted in 1st three rounds.   I was at the 3/4 turn and specially took Godwin at 3.12 and Montgomery at 4.1 just so I'd have my RB1 locked in for this next season.  Hahaha...suckers.

• Haha 2