Rotoworld.com Forums

David Montgomery 2020 Outlook

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard.  Since you're new here, the David Montgomery outlook thread is the Rotoworld equivalent of a senior citizen water aerobics class.  No one really gets excited.  Montgomery is mentioned

Arrow still down........

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I just moved him into my lineup. Full workload and a questionable tag? No, sorry, he's healthy. Lock and load.

“Should” get a full workload 

Same opinion as before. Can’t simulate NFL game speed, groin injury he thought was devastating, AND this was a unique TC to begin with.

Be careful. Touch upside there. Safe floor is not.

Soo...flash in the pan here? Solid RB2? Is there a chance he finished as an RB1 after all of the injuries going on? i somehow ended up with a lot of shares of this guy cause no one wanted to touch him with a 10 ft pole, and still have no idea what to make of it.

1 minute ago, cheezor42 said:

Soo...flash in the pan here? Solid RB2? Is there a chance he finished as an RB1 after all of the injuries going on? i somehow ended up with a lot of shares of this guy cause no one wanted to touch him with a 10 ft pole, and still have no idea what to make of it.

One of the reasons this thread has been quiet is because (1) no one knows, and (2) no one is excited to own David Montgomery.  There is just a lot of uncertainty in this equation.  

The obvious problems are:

(1) Cohen is going nowhere after signing a 3-year $17M deal.  IMO, that's a hideous overpay for a special teams/COP guy who can't run or block, and has been sneakily inefficient in the passing game, but it happened, nonetheless.  If Nagy didn't already love Cohen enough, the Bears now need to justify Cohen's price tag.  As such, barring an injury to Cohen, Montgomery's upside is pretty capped.  

Montgomery is going to lose a lot of the 3rd down work, 2-minute drill, garbage time, and redzone work.  

(2) Nagy.  Again, people don't see the upside in the coaching situation.  Nagy loves the committee approach, and his play-calling has a tendency to make his backs too predictable for defenses to scheme.  

(3) Montgomery is an average-ish talent.  Look, contrary to some of the hot takes here, Montgomery is not a bad player.  He's fairly well-rounded.  The problem with Montgomery is that he is a master of none.  He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but he also does not have obvious strengths.  

Notably, Montgomery lacks explosiveness and big play ability.  He's not the kind of player who can put up a monster game on fewer touches.

I think what we have seen thus far from Montgomery is more or less what we can expect going forward:

- 1-3 receptions per game

- ~15 touches (with less touches in games where Chicago is trailing early and more touches when Chicago is protecting a lead)

- Decent efficiency, but limited big play ability 

- He'll get goal line work, but, the Bears aren't exactly a dynamic offense, Nagy loves to throw in short-yardage, and Cohen still sees heavy usage in the redzone (outside of goal-ine).  So far, Montgomery has zero goal line carries on the season.  

• Thanks 1

Big Bears fan here and I would lean on selling high for the reasons that Rainyy listed above as well as the nature of my team needing WR and a QB. I was very high on him last season as I thought he was brought in to replace Jordan Howard's 250+ carries and maybe even catch 40-50 balls. Clearly he's been a disappointment. Still think there is value here, but the usage will be inconsistent.

I will say though it does seem like Matt Nagy has been more willing to run the ball more the first 2 games. They had a positive game script this week, but even against the Lions when they were trailing for much of the 2nd half he was still somewhat committed. The offensive line as well as the TEs have played much better than last year, so if Nagy stays committed, I do think there's some room for better rushing numbers here. 

4 minutes ago, BigNicc said:

What're we thinking vs ATL? Carson and Zeke put up some great numbers but idk if I trust the game script to get Dmont the touches he needs.

Few owners can afford to sit him given the landscape at RB (I know I can’t) but I’m not expecting much.  The beauty of owning him is you never expect anything so there’s always the potential to be pleasantly surprised without the potential to be dissapointed.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2020 at 2:01 PM, BigNicc said:

What're we thinking vs ATL? Carson and Zeke put up some great numbers but idk if I trust the game script to get Dmont the touches he needs.

I'm planning to play AJ Green over Montgomery as a flex in a 0.5 PPR.  I see Montgomery as safe for 60-70ish yards but I'm worried about negative game script capping his upside so I'm taking my chances with Green and his high number of targets.    

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, ZappB said:

I'm planning to play AJ Green over Montgomery as a flex in a 0.5 PPR.  I see Montgomery as safe for 60-70ish yards but I'm worried about negative game script capping his upside so I'm taking my chances with Green and his high number of targets.    

Im going back and forth with my decision at the flex spot too. Debating between monty OR corey davis against MIN

16 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Atlanta's defense is pretty bad; you'd got to think he's at least good for a TD.

Hoping NYG can keep it close in the first half and try to make a point of establishing run, if the game gets away in the second atleast our guy (hopefully) put up a decent half when it's still actly a game. Stuck between Mike Davis and him but atleast Dmont has somewhat proven himself as of late

Edited by BigNicc