Last off-season I wrote about how my son had competed on the same national youth track circuit as Bryce Love, affording me the ability to pass on my impressions of Love’s character from our interactions (he is an individual of high character btw.)

Now, one of my son’s direct competitors from the same region (Missouri Valley) and age group is slated to hit the big stage…S/LB hybrid, Isaiah Simmons of Clemson. While many of you would draft this kid for your IDP squads based on his stats alone, I wanted to point out, Simmons is also an individual who exudes sportsmanship and extremely high character. Draft away!!! *looking forward to watching Simmons on Monday night in the Championship.

Side note: another one of my son’s direct/age competitors on the youth circuit as well as HS is, Quincy Hall. Winner of the 2019 D1 National Outdoor 400m Hurdles and the 2019 Outdoor SEC 400m. Hall is a favorite to make the Olympic team in both events at the next Olympic Trials. *can’t say the same about his character from back in the day, but based on his interviews, he seems to have grown into a better person over time.

• Like 2

How would you rank this years LB class in itself - now, after the draft - and how would you rank them in the overall LB Ranking for dynasty purposes.

23 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

How would you rank this years LB class in itself - now, after the draft - and how would you rank them in the overall LB Ranking for dynasty purposes.

i see simmons at the devin bush / devin white level of LB, and i'd choose simmons over the other two because he plays on the worse defense: simmons will be busy. we saw devin bush off to a great start last year, and then as the steelers defense grew better and better bush's numbers went down. 

drafting depends on your team's needs and timeframe. jordyn brooks might be a longer-term stash, but patrick queen should have an immediate impact. @FollowTheLeader will help to sort this year's troupe out. but i'd suggest this key point: there are linebackers on your waiver wire who are close to the level of this year's first / second rounders (excepting simmons in my opinion). takitaki, okereke.

Pick Overall Team LB Posn. School
1 8 Arizona Cardinals Isaiah Simmons  LB Clemson
1 20 Jacksonville Jaguars K'Lavon Chaisson  LB LSU
1 23 Los Angeles Chargers Kenneth Murray  LB Oklahoma
1 27 Seattle Seahawks Jordyn Brooks  LB Texas Tech
1 28 Baltimore Ravens Patrick Queen  LB LSU
2 60 New England Patriots Josh Uche  OLB Michigan
2 63 Kansas City Chiefs Willie Gay  ILB Mississippi State
3 65 Cincinnati Bengals Logan Wilson  ILB Wyoming
3 67 Detroit Lions Julian Okwara  OLB Notre Dame
3 74 New Orleans Saints Zack Baun  OLB Wisconsin
3 84 Los Angeles Rams Terrell Lewis  OLB Alabama
3 87 New England Patriots Anfernee Jennings  OLB Alabama
3 90 Houston Texans Jonathan Greenard  OLB Florida
3* 97 Cleveland Browns Jacob Phillips  ILB LSU
3* 98 Baltimore Ravens Malik Harrison  ILB Ohio State
3* 100 Las Vegas Raiders Tanner Muse  ILB Clemson
3* 102 Pittsburgh Steelers Alex Highsmith  OLB Charlotte
3* 103 Philadelphia Eagles Davion Taylor  OLB Colorado
4 107 Cincinnati Bengals Akeem Davis-Gaither  OLB Appalachian State
4 119 Atlanta Falcons Mykal Walker  ILB Fresno State
4 132 Minnesota Vikings Troy Dye  LB Oregon
4* 140 Jacksonville Jaguars Shaquille Quarterman  LB Miami (FL)
5 155 Chicago Bears Trevis Gipson  OLB Tulsa
5 162 Washington Redskins Khaleke Hudson  OLB Michigan
5 175 Green Bay Packers Kamal Martin  LB Minnesota
5* 178 Denver Broncos Justin Strnad  LB Wake Forest
6 183 New York Giants Cam Brown  LB Penn State
6 196 Philadelphia Eagles Shaun Bradley  LB Temple
6 202 Arizona Cardinals Evan Weaver  ILB California
6 204 New England Patriots Cassh Maluia  LB Wyoming
6* 213 Indianapolis Colts Jordan Glasgow  OLB Michigan
7 215 Cincinnati Bengals Markus Bailey  LB Purdue
7 218 New York Giants Carter Coughlin  OLB Minnesota
7 233 Philadelphia Eagles Casey Toohill  OLB Stanford
7 234 Los Angeles Rams Clay Johnston  LB Baylor
7 238 New York Giants T. J. Brunson  OLB South Carolina
7 241 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Chapelle Russell  OLB Temple
7* 249 Minnesota Vikings Brian Cole II  OLB Mississippi State
7* 255 New York Giants Tae Crowder  LB Georgia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the add, @Sack Exchange 😎

I’ve already participated in 1 rookie draft that included IDPs and I focused on the 3 obvious stars, in order: DL CYoung, S/LB ISimmons and LB Patrick Queen. CYoung went mid second and I took ISimmons at 2:09 and PQueen at 2:10. These 3 are the top tier overall, as well as at their respective positions. I view Simmons with LB1 potential in AZ, as he has some play makers around him, so it may take a bit (Baker will now be limited moving forward), and Queen in Bal is LB1 $, day1.

Seem too be more good edge/rush defenders in this draft than MLB/WLB/ILB.

I had hoped Simmons would be designated a S by the NFL, while playing a hybrid LB/S role, but oh well. LB WGay of KC and LWilson Cin went basically in the 4th, followed by Murray, Brooks, Baun and the NE LBs. Really lite on IDPs in that league.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 9:25 AM, Sack Exchange said:

i'd suggest this key point: there are linebackers on your waiver wire who are close to the level of this year's first / second rounders (excepting simmons in my opinion). takitaki, okereke

I’ll 2nd Okereke and add: AJohnson Den and DGreenlaw

*and add Queens name alongside Simmons. 

Edited by FollowTheLeader

25 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I’ll 2nd Okereke and add: AJohnson Den and DGreenlaw

*and add Queens name alongside Simmons. 

problem with Greenlaw is, he was scooped late-season up by everyone who dropped Kwiatkowski. Greenlaw does not seem to be available in any of my leagues... but AJ Johnson is everywhere :)                  ...agreed regarding Queen: he's someone to target in the draft.

but still talking LBs available on the waiver wire, i remain hopeful for Mack Wilson, Germaine Pratt, and Jahlani Tavai, in addition to Takitaki and Okereke. all are young. they were either drafted and dropped by leaguemates, or in Tavai's case went to IR (and was possibly stashed there). not suggesting that LBs are the new TEs (where it takes 2+ years to develop), but opportunities are opening. and in a draft class so deep in WR and RB, i am not targeting any LBs save simmons and queen. last year i went IDP-heavy in dynasty. this year, offense-heavy seems the move, at least for my teams.

and then there are the veterans on the waiver wire: Jarrad Davis, Kwiatkowski, Whitney Mercilus. davis was a 2nd round dynasty pick several years ago and he never produced. if my bench is large enough, and none of those young guys are out there, i'd pick up davis and let him sit for the season. still, very disappointing player. maybe it's better to have a talented hopeful WR instead of davis sitting on the bench (auden tate, enunwa). Kwiatkowski was poised for something, but didn't really happen. now he's playing with corey littleton... not sure if there's room for him to get any action. probably not. out of the three veterans, i like the way mercilus played. some great hits. but i'd prefer those under-used sophomores over the older vets.

• Like 1

I am targeting Murray and Queen. I want tackles and I think both will play on inside. 

Marcus Maye seems hurt (from camp report). With Adams gone and Maye hurt, can we finally declare it Ashty Davis SZN ?

I really appreciate you guys that hold down this thread throughout the season. I don't do much IDP, but where I do play it we are tied to an IDP of the D/ST that we start that week. I usually just end up streaming and mixing/matching IDPs. Hoping to get a leg up early in the year, my league really favors tackles (thusly middle/3 down LBs)...would any of you guys care to share some of your top players for this season with those parameters in mind? Basically a top 16 type of D/ST with a weekly LB starter to rack up tackles. Thanks!!

Here are my options, strongest defenses remaining in draft and their top IDP options:

Ravens- Queen

Seahawks- Wagner

Bucs- L David

Bills- Edmunds

Texans- Cunningham

Any strong leans with these options?

29 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Here are my options, strongest defenses remaining in draft and their top IDP options:

Ravens- Queen

Seahawks- Wagner

Bucs- L David

Bills- Edmunds

Texans- Cunningham

Any strong leans with these options?

What kind of scori g do you have in your league. Wagner is a must have. Should lead the league in tackles for sure. As far as the Bucs. Shaq Barret is the man. Edmunds is still young and need to really put it together. Queen could be good. Cunningham won't let you down. Still prefer Watt but he is injury prone.

2 minutes ago, Trade Monster said:

What kind of scori g do you have in your league. Wagner is a must have. Should lead the league in tackles for sure. As far as the Bucs. Shaq Barret is the man. Edmunds is still young and need to really put it together. Queen could be good. Cunningham won't let you down. Still prefer Watt but he is injury prone.

We are required to start 1 IDP from whatever D/ST we start that week.

It is a pretty basic system for IDP scoring. 1/.5 for tackles/asst tackles, 2 pts a sack or forced fumble, 3 pts a pick and .5 for a pass defended. Sets up for the high volume every-down LBs. It just can be difficult to find a solid combo of a quality defense that has a stud IDP option.

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

We are required to start 1 IDP from whatever D/ST we start that week.

It is a pretty basic system for IDP scoring. 1/.5 for tackles/asst tackles, 2 pts a sack or forced fumble, 3 pts a pick and .5 for a pass defended. Sets up for the high volume every-down LBs. It just can be difficult to find a solid combo of a quality defense that has a stud IDP option.

Wagner and Edmunds 

• Like 1

Kirksey first year in GB. Reports had him all over everything in camp. Reunited with Pettine and don’t forget, he takes over for Blake Martinez who racked up a ton of tackles. 

if he can stay healthy, he should be a tackling machine. 

My first year doing IDP - went went super light with 3 starters (meant to add a FLEX but somehow missed it before the draft), and more a hybrid scoring system if not a little weighted towards big plays. 

Ended up with:
DL: Myles Garrett
LB: Deion Jones
DB: Kevin Byard

How did I do with these guys? And also, I've been eying Za'Darius Smith on the wire since the draft... do I need to make a move clear a roster spot for him? (We've got deep benches but few IDP starters so the FA Pool is seemingly huge, so I just stuck with one at each position)

On 9/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, DekuTree said:

My first year doing IDP - went went super light with 3 starters (meant to add a FLEX but somehow missed it before the draft), and more a hybrid scoring system if not a little weighted towards big plays. 

Ended up with:
DL: Myles Garrett
LB: Deion Jones
DB: Kevin Byard

How did I do with these guys? And also, I've been eying Za'Darius Smith on the wire since the draft... do I need to make a move clear a roster spot for him? (We've got deep benches but few IDP starters so the FA Pool is seemingly huge, so I just stuck with one at each position)

Deion Jones is a stud when healthy. 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:31 PM, PackerBacker555 said:

Kirksey first year in GB. Reports had him all over everything in camp. Reunited with Pettine and don’t forget, he takes over for Blake Martinez who racked up a ton of tackles. 

if he can stay healthy, he should be a tackling machine. 

Would you put Kirksey ahead of Devin White/Deion Jones?

3 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

What to expect from Kenneth Murray this season?

Some think Drue Tranquill will be the 3 down back to own. Tranquill is playing the WILL. And the WILL LB in a Gus Bradley system has a lot of tackles. Not to take anything away from Murray. He will be good. So we shall see.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, cdd10 said:

Would you put Kirksey ahead of Devin White/Deion Jones?

Probably not. He is good but the other 2 are better. 

Keep an eye on Kirksey however. I have him on my team. He may get 7-10 tackles a game. Jones and White should do slightly better overall with PD etc

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 4:55 AM, Trade Monster said:

Some think Drue Tranquill will be the 3 down back to own. Tranquill is playing the WILL. And the WILL LB in a Gus Bradley system has a lot of tackles. Not to take anything away from Murray. He will be good. So we shall see.

and boom he's injured 😕 

I'm currently eyeing Germaine Pratt to add as my third LB. 
Also looking at Aldon Smith. Can someone tell me what position he actually plays? He is listed as DL/LB in Sleeper and if he plays more of a LB role he may be gold in that DL slot. 

Anyone with thoughts on Ja'Whaun Bentley(LB,NE)

Fairly deep IDP dynasty.Slightly higher than standard Yahoo scoring.Need to replace Milano(likely)but also for long-term since I have a DB to cut with WW stocked with similarly qualified players,Thanks.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:22 AM, PhilFan said:

Anyone with thoughts on Ja'Whaun Bentley(LB,NE)

Fairly deep IDP dynasty.Slightly higher than standard Yahoo scoring.Need to replace Milano(likely)but also for long-term since I have a DB to cut with WW stocked with similarly qualified players,Thanks.

Definitely worth the grab. He is the 3 down back in NE. For Dynasty not so sure because I don't know what his roll will be if everyone plays next year. But this year he is worth the grab if you have someone to cut.