Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Ketel Marte 2020 Outlook

.358/.434/.647   177WrC+ in the second half concluded a great breakout season. His K's and BBs didn't really change from past seasons. There was a 5% increase in Hard-contact%, but other than that, nothing too crazy. His HR/FB% doubled, BABIP spiked....perhaps his power breakout was slightly due to the ball this year? I'm not sure how to feel about this guy. He does make elite contact but he always has...perhaps they revert the ball and he reverts as well?

Fun Fact: From May until the end of the season he never hit below .309 for the month..3 of them over .350!

• Like 4

So last year surprised the hell out of me but I like the 8.4 bb% vs 13.7 k%...I like it a lot.

Mid 40s ADP is appealing. I’d rather have Ketel than Hiura.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

So last year surprised the hell out of me but I like the 8.4 bb% vs 13.7 k%...I like it a lot.

Mid 40s ADP is appealing. I’d rather have Ketel than Hiura.

Yes, agree completely 

Rather see Ketel in the IF than OF for multiple reasons but very excited for him to build on his breakout last season.  

51 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Rather see Ketel in the IF than OF for multiple reasons but very excited for him to build on his breakout last season.  

Second this. It sounds like he will be the Diamondbacks primary center fielder. I hope he get 20 starts at second to be eligible there next year.

Where is going, his power can regress and still return round value given rest of skills and role. I think a high floor guy that's nice to get in the 40s. Found that 2B can get thin, too in my early drafts.  

• Like 2

Also don't forget that in the last four months of 2018 his breakout had already started.

Guy is legit

• Like 2

Not that it matters this year, but anyone concerned about the possibility of him losing 2B eligibility the following year? Sounds like he will be the Diamondbacks primary center fielder as of now.

59 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Not that it matters this year, but anyone concerned about the possibility of him losing 2B eligibility the following year? Sounds like he will be the Diamondbacks primary center fielder as of now.

Definitely - both eligibility and health concerns....much happier with him as IF

Great news for Ketel Marte owners with the signing of Starling Marte as this all but assures that Ketel will primarily be playing at 2B

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Great news for Ketel Marte owners with the signing of Starling Marte as this all but assures that Ketel will primarily be playing at 2B

huge news - big value increase for K Mart!  

Ketel is a stud. Adding Marte to lineup helps in several regards. I’ve read on a few posts that he is a “sell” or a target to avoid.

Im all in on this guy

• Like 2

Opens up the Yahoo year with a very fair and reasonable auction value around 17-21 dollars. I'm in at that price for my 2b.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Opens up the Yahoo year with a very fair and reasonable auction value around 17-21 dollars. I'm in at that price for my 2b.

That's a steal IMO

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

That's a steal IMO

Yeah, most of the yahoo auction values in the mid range will come DOWN in price as we get closer to the season, but Ketel I think will raise some $$ amount in the next 1.5 months. Time to grab him on yahoo is now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

yea i dont do auctions so i cant speak on that, but im loving his early adp as well.  dont know how Gleyber torres is going so far ahead of him (nearly 20 spots in NFC)

Edited by jfazz23

I like Marte a lot but that lineup around him potentially could be pretty bad.

9 hours ago, B&F said:

I like Marte a lot but that lineup around him potentially could be pretty bad.

What are you talking about? They had a perfectly fine offense last year and now added Starlin Marte + Kole Calhoun to the mix. Team should be in the upper half of the NL offenses. 

• Like 5

His ADP is far too low... 

Mookie Betts is going #4 overall and last year in the AL on the Sox he hit 132 R, 29 HR, 80 RBI, 16 SB, 295 AVG

Ketel hit 97 R, 32 HR, 92 RBI, 10 SB, 329 AVG.

Betts is OF only and Marte is 2B/OF... Betts is going 4 overall and Marte 44... Crazy to me.

Now I get people are expecting regression and Betts to rebound potentially that's why the prices are so different. But I'm a believer in Ketel, I think he's for real. And I see similar value (not player but value) to the year before J Ram was recognized as a consensus 1st rounder.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Mookie Betts is going #4 overall and last year in the AL on the Sox he hit 132 R, 29 HR, 80 RBI, 16 SB, 295 AVG

Betts is OF only and Marte is 2B/OF... Betts is going 4 overall and Marte 44... Crazy to me.

Now I get people are expecting regression and Betts to rebound potentially that's why the prices are so different. But I'm a believer in Ketel, I think he's for real. And I see similar value (not player but value) to the year before J Ram was recognized as a consensus 1st rounder.

i think on yahoo he is also a SS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

i think on yahoo he is also a SS.

👍 yup! He is and i have him in a keeper in yahoo too, but yahoo has really low thresholds only 5 starts to get eligibility so I left it off, but yeah +SS in yahoo what's not to love???

11 hours ago, StevieStats said:

His power kind of came out of nowhere and I think people might see him as one of the guys who benefited most from a juiced ball. For me personally his back injury late last season kind of scares me and I wish he ran more. Overall his position eligibility is his biggest selling point.

• Like 1

Exit Velocity         Barrel%       Hard Hit%

2016                83.6                   0.3                19.9

2017                86.6                   2.7                34.6

2018                88.5                   5.0                36.7

2019                89.8                   9.3                40.0

He also doubled his launch angle (probably the most important stat to his new found success) from 5.7 to 11.5    He keeps improving year to year. The cool thing is that his launch angle could still improve. If he improves his launch angle to 13-14, you have a top 10 player.

• Like 1

Thought I would bump this thread. I’m all in on Marte this year. I always pay close attention to a guy’s spring training the following year after a breakout season to look for signs of a carryover and Marte has been off to a blistering start to Spring Training 2.0. This after he hit .375 in Spring Training 1.0. He’s my pick for NL MVP.