Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Ketel Marte 2020 Outlook

Update - leading off for the opener. Be nice to see him drop a spot or two but we'll see.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, meh2 said:

Thought I would bump this thread. I’m all in on Marte this year. I always pay close attention to a guy’s spring training the following year after a breakout season to look for signs of a carryover and Marte has been off to a blistering start to Spring Training 2.0. This after he hit .375 in Spring Training 1.0. He’s my pick for NL MVP.

You might want to reconsider that...

Clearly he's a good hitter, but early signs are last years power wasn't for real. Or his back injury has affected his swing and he's not trying to swing as hard now.

2 walks and no steals is a disappointing start too, especially as they have been awful so you'd think he'd be getting walked more.

All this guy does is hit and hit and hit and hit and hit EVERYTHING.....

Except homeruns

So far at least

Come on already. Let's go. 

15 hours ago, marble_donut said:

How many 1-3's, 2-4's does this guy get where he doesn't score any runs or get any RBIs? This is so frustrating

Yep and the lately blurb saying he's been their best hitter is pretty embarassing. With an .800OPS in this flying ball era.

I thought the power was for real, but hasn't shown to be so far. Don't see why he's changed his approach, as last year he hit for average and power.

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Yep and the lately blurb saying he's been their best hitter is pretty embarassing. With an .800OPS in this flying ball era.

I thought the power was for real, but hasn't shown to be so far. Don't see why he's changed his approach, as last year he hit for average and power.

He’s not seeing nearly as many fastballs this season. The league adjustment to Marte has been to throw him an exorbitant amount of offspeed stuff, because he murdered fastballs in 2019. The result has been Marte still hits the offspeed stuff, no problem...it just means he’s less able to barrel up the offerings to the extent of knocking ‘em out of the park. Still though, he should still have more than 1 long ball by this point. I think he’s due for some positive correction on the home run front. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit 4 or 5 dongs over the next week, week and a half, two weeks.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, marble_donut said:

It's hard to understate how much of a disappointment this guy is. Does absolutely nothing except get hits with no one on base

Yes, he deserves more recognition for the run he’s on. Last 10 games, 11-for-38 for a nice .289 AVG, yet 0 runs, 0 RBI. For a guy with that average end that lineup spot, how is that even possible?

2 hours ago, Caelum said:

Yes, he deserves more recognition for the run he’s on. Last 10 games, 11-for-38 for a nice .289 AVG, yet 0 runs, 0 RBI. For a guy with that average end that lineup spot, how is that even possible?

It’s insanity. It’s maddening. It’s not possible. It’s inexplicable. Has to be a fluke, right? This guy is too good a hitter - and he is actually hitting  - for his counting stats to be this suppressed. This cannot last. Not another day. Just. Can. Not. 

8 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

It’s insanity. It’s maddening. It’s not possible. It’s inexplicable. Has to be a fluke, right? This guy is too good a hitter - and he is actually hitting  - for his counting stats to be this suppressed. This cannot last. Not another day. Just. Can. Not. 

His home runs and stolen bases leave something to be desired. However, his piss-poor supporting cast has a lot to do with this as well.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, charger_ss24 said:

His home runs and stolen bases leave something to be desired. However, his piss-poor supporting cast has a lot to do with this as well.

No doubt. It's frustrating for sure, because I think it's become abundantly clear that Ketel Marte is one of the best all-around hitters in baseball. He gets tons of base hits to the point where he's become an easy .300+ hitter who is and will continue to be in contention to win batting crowns on on an annual basis. And to boot, he has pop. On top of his .328 BA, 97 runs scored, 92 RBI and 10 swipes last season in 144 ballgames, he hit 32 long balls. He also has one of the highest exit velo's in the league, as for well-ver a year now, he rests in the top 10%-15% range in that regard.

So now this season, with the combination of his teammates letting him down, the steady diet of off speed and breaking balls he's seeing, decreasing the amount of opportunities for him to receive a driveable pitch for him to barrel up and launch over the fence, and the general lack of luck he's had to this point on balls either A) leaving the yard and B ) get to the plate with runners on base to drive them home and/or the instances he hits himself on base and his teammates getting a timely hit to knock him in.....he's been a drain on the counting stats categories to anyone who has him.

And furthermore, for anyone who does have him, he's likely been in their lineup everyday due to the draft capital he surely cost that person along with his obvious talent and the correlation of that person having a lack of better options for having expunged at least a relatively large amount of draft capital on him, therefore, penciling him in for certain production expectation, and therefore not drafting overlapping talent at Marte's most commonly used common positions (2b or SS) in earlier rounds of snake drafts or at high-sh dollar margins in auction leagues. 

And further furthermore, due to the shortened season and the games remaining for the positive regression to kick in for Marte on the counting stats that one would think he would otherwise normally be in-line for in a normal 162 games season, dwindling further and further by the day, at this current juncture, with his putrid counting stats (1 HR, 10 runs, 12 RBI) and his lack of a track record prior to 2019, you're not going to find a trading partner who'll be willing to relinquish equal or even near equal value for Marte right now, and understandably so.

Which means, if you're running out of time to catch up in production from whatever position you've almost assuredly had Marte plugged into your lineup up to this point, you're left with only one of two unenviable options to address said lack of production from that position: either pull the plug on Marte and concede noticeable value in trading him away, or stay the course and keep him in there and just hope that his positive regression in the counting stats picks up as close to immediately as possible.

Personally, based on what I've been encountering in the trade value gap for Marte on the market right now and the overall scope and depth of those gaps, I've deemed the latter of the two options (hold and continue to trot out there; neither option being ideal) to be the better option for my taste. Sooooo, here's to hoping things adjust in the right direction for this extremely talented hitter...and fast!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, Chest-Rockwell said:

He’s not seeing nearly as many fastballs this season. The league adjustment to Marte has been to throw him an exorbitant amount of offspeed stuff, because he murdered fastballs in 2019. The result has been Marte still hits the offspeed stuff, no problem...it just means he’s less able to barrel up the offerings to the extent of knocking ‘em out of the park. Still though, he should still have more than 1 long ball by this point. I think he’s due for some positive correction on the home run front. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit 4 or 5 dongs over the next week, week and a half, two weeks.

Well those dongs ain't arrived. He's barely even worth using in points at this point, just 84 is a garbage return for an everyday regular.

Just now, swfcdan said:

Well those dongs ain't arrived. He's barely even worth using in points at this point, just 84 is a garbage return for an everyday regular.

Maybe they wont arrive. Him and Escobar have turned back into pumpkins. The power came out of nowhere and now he's back to what he was before.

2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Maybe they wont arrive. Him and Escobar have turned back into pumpkins. The power came out of nowhere and now he's back to what he was before.

I waive the white flag on him this year. He should no longer be in starting lineups. Enough is enough. Still think he can rake and I expect 2021 to be a bounce back. I’m writing off 2020 for Ketel though. The team is a mess and has called it quits on the season. No one in that lineup can hit. He has no support. NONE. Especially with Starling gone now already. Eduardo Escobar on the other hand...he’s the pumpkin.

It's been pretty widely reported that the baseballs are more like 2017 ERA juiced than 2019, which has eaten into some of the supposed power breakouts of the last couple of years, including Marte. We didn't know what the balls would be like this season, so it wasn't unreasonable to draft him assuming only a slight decline from 2019, but there were warning signs. 

• Thanks 3

To IL.  Left wrist inflammation.