BigPapi44

Nick Solak 2020 Outlook

Solak was pretty good last year and has a lot of versatility.  Wondering though with the off-season moves, and possibly Castellanos going to the Rangers if there is any path to a full-time gig.  Curious in people's thoughts, and specifically any Rangers' fans that have a sense of what his role may be in 2020.

54 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Solak was pretty good last year and has a lot of versatility.  Wondering though with the off-season moves, and possibly Castellanos going to the Rangers if there is any path to a full-time gig.  Curious in people's thoughts, and specifically any Rangers' fans that have a sense of what his role may be in 2020.

Frazier scares me the most. Especially for preventing 3B eligibility. Probably will find a way to get 450 ABs regardless though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Frazier scares me the most. Especially for preventing 3B eligibility. Probably will find a way to get 450 ABs regardless though.

I'm less confident about playing time at the moment but I intend to keep an eye on the situation.  Odor is always on the verge of being terrible.  Frazier is a career .243 hitter and will platoon at 1B against lefties, leaving 3B open for Solak.  Solak could also find time in the OF I guess, but Gallo/Santana/Calhoun looks decent.  So it looks like unless Ordor or Frazier s**** the bed, Solak is left on the short side of a platoon.  Bummer, because I really like his potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like him, but he'l require some patience.  Some leagues only have him as UT eligible which as really dampened his value 

• Thanks 1

I don't think Solak is likely to play much 3B going forward. Scouting reports question his arm, he only played one game there in his whole minor league career, and he made 3 errors in 11 MLB games there. I think that was just a place the Rangers could stick him to get him in the lineup in some meaningless September games.

2B is probably his ideal position and what he's played most. Odor is there for now but he was not good last year (0.3 WAR) and if he's that bad again I could see the Rangers moving on to Solak. In the meantime he probably just has to find playing time as a utility type wherever he can get it.

More important question is how good Solak can be. I don't think he can reproduce last year's numbers over a large sample, at least not yet. His xWOBA was .343 compared to .375 actual wOBA, and he hits a lot of grounders (52.9% MLB, usually over 50% in the minors). He does have speed, but he only stole 7 bases last year across all levels.

I think he has a fairly high floor with added value in any format that counts walks, with some upside if he can hit more flyballs and/or steal some bases. But for now he's just not exciting enough to really target given the PT concerns.

Edited by SpartyOn4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what everyone is saying about playing time being the concern. He did most of his damage last year against lefties (167 wRC+) and that was the case throughout his minor league career so I’d bet he’ll play everyday against lefties. I think he’ll end up with an everyday role at some point in the season because of an injury or because Odor, Guzman, and Frazier aren’t good. I’ll let someone else draft him, drop him and then try to add when it looks like he’ll get everyday at bats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, meh2 said:

I agree with what everyone is saying about playing time being the concern. He did most of his damage last year against lefties (167 wRC+) and that was the case throughout his minor league career so I’d bet he’ll play everyday against lefties. I think he’ll end up with an everyday role at some point in the season because of an injury or because Odor, Guzman, and Frazier aren’t good. I’ll let someone else draft him, drop him and then try to add when it looks like he’ll get everyday at bats.

That's my plan as well!

The guy doesnt hit enough to warrant starting at 3B in an already deep position. His best chance last season was displanting Odor at 2B but couldnt. He doesnt offer the upside Odor does, even with his hitting woes.

At best, you're hoping he becomes another Scott Kingery.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Like 1

This guy is showing some improvement through 50 PAs.

-Already has 3 SB

-K% is down 11% from 21% last year to 10%

-O-Swing% is down from 26% to 20%
-SwStr% is down from 8% to 7%
-FB% is up from 27% to 37%
-LD% is up from 20% to 24%

the bad news is his HR/FB% is a laughable 0% so far

He’s extremely fast and his hit tool is starting to show. If he can show some power — say in the teens in HR — I think we may have a winner at 2B

• Like 4

On 8/11/2020 at 2:35 AM, UberRebel said:

This guy is showing some improvement through 50 PAs.

-Already has 3 SB

-K% is down 11% from 21% last year to 10%

-O-Swing% is down from 26% to 20%
-SwStr% is down from 8% to 7%
-FB% is up from 27% to 37%
-LD% is up from 20% to 24%

the bad news is his HR/FB% is a laughable 0% so far

He’s extremely fast and his hit tool is starting to show. If he can show some power — say in the teens in HR — I think we may have a winner at 2B

He's really turned it on recently too and has a series in Colorado coming up.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, Jyeatbvg said:

Still unowned in 70%+ of leagues. Free profit folks.

Still a chance to get him for 2 more games in Coors if he's open. He balled out tonight.

• Like 1

OBP climbing toward .400, just hit a dinger. If he has a good series against bad Seattle pitching this might be the last time to grab him