Sign in to follow this  
svdude

Nick Senzel 2020 Outlook

36 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

At this point you have to hope he's traded because he's definitely not more than a part-time player on the Reds any more.

I think its too early to project most of the Reds at this point, save Castellanos, Suarez and Moose. Fantasy wise, makes it tough. Feels a bit like the Rockies lineup right now.  

On 1/18/2020 at 1:06 AM, Trexpenniebaker said:

Never proven he can stay on the field long enough to produce. Guy is always hurt.  Till we see a few 600 AB seasons strung together we will never know what he can do.

Good thing the Reds aren't interested in giving their players a fair chance to actually get to 600 ABs. Good thing they didn't turn Winker into a bench player despite never even giving him a chance to be a full time player. Same for Senzel.

They seem to be of the mindset of "Hey, you're my top prospect, but you just popped up against a same handed pitcher. You;re a platoon player now\ because that sample size was large enough and I gave you a big enough chance lolz!" I think the Reds have little idea as to what the hell they're doing lol.

Seems like they are in the business of collecting OFs rather than maximizing the talent they have on their entire roster.

The ONLY way this move makes sense is if they trade Senzel in a package for someone like Lindor. Otherwise, it's dumb.

Edited by ThreadKiller

32 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Good thing the Reds aren't interested in giving their players a fair chance to actually get to 600 ABs. Good thing they didn't turn Winker into a bench player despite never even giving him a chance to be a full time player. Same for Senzel.

They seem to be of the mindset of "Hey, you're my top prospect, but you just popped up against a same handed pitcher. You;re a platoon player now\ because that sample size was large enough and I gave you a big enough chance lolz!" I think the Reds have little idea as to what the hell they're doing lol.

Seems like they are in the business of collecting OFs rather than maximizing the talent they have on their entire roster.

The ONLY way this move makes sense is if they trade Senzel in a package for someone like Lindor. Otherwise, it's dumb.

Even I'll admit the recent signing is a concern.....however it really seems to point to Senzel being in  trade which would be good as well....problem is his value is at an all time low which would be a lousy time to trade him....I really dont think the Reds need more offense....another solid arm would make more sense to me....should be interesting....

If the Reds think like a fantasy manager, no reason not to try Senzel out at SS.  Freddy Galvis is a waiver pick up who is a free agent after this year.  Senzel is one of their long term assets who they've already worked into the lineup with a position change once with decent results.  I think they have to try him out there in the spring at a minimum. Any fantasy manager would in a second. 

• Haha 1

Senzel owners won't like this, but Senzel feels a lot like David Dahl: average-to-above-average tools across the board, but can't stay on the field enough to showcase those talents. He'd probably be fun to own if he could stay on the field for 145 games. But I wouldn't pay for more than 100 games of production.

• Like 2

Pure conjecture, but Ken Rosenthal suggests that Senzel might start in AAA:

https://theathletic.com/1566861/2020/01/28/rosenthal-with-nick-castellanos-in-the-fold-what-happens-next-for-the-reds/

With Moustakas set at second base and Castellanos and others in the outfield, the Reds might want Senzel to open the season at Triple A, where he could play regularly and continue to learn center field.

• Haha 1

Moose to 3rd makes most sense, would open 2B to Senzel. Unless they want to try Castellanos at 3B.

Edited by Sidearmer

4 hours ago, bluefrogguy said:

Pure conjecture, but Ken Rosenthal suggests that Senzel might start in AAA:

https://theathletic.com/1566861/2020/01/28/rosenthal-with-nick-castellanos-in-the-fold-what-happens-next-for-the-reds/

With Moustakas set at second base and Castellanos and others in the outfield, the Reds might want Senzel to open the season at Triple A, where he could play regularly and continue to learn center field.

Damn. Been talking about a deal for Senzel in my fantasy league (Clint Frazier would be going the other way, plus some other smaller pieces), but I am beginning to think Senzel is part of just as big of a circus as Frazier is. 

They could just trade him like the rumors suggest. He is valuable to a team but with the Suarez stuff going on, they'll probably use him in CF and to spare Suarez on off days.

Best thing for Senzel is to be traded to a team that will simply install him at 2B, unless they felt like he should goto his college position (3B) which would probably require getting his arm strength up. Either way, Senzel has a ++ hit tool, stick him in one spot and see if that hit tool can come alive. 

Cleveland one of the rumored dance partners doesn't really need a 2B, 3B or even a CF. I'd hate to see them get Senzel then stick him in LF. 

Edited by kwolf68

4 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Best thing for Senzel is to be traded to a team that will simply install him at 2B, unless they felt like he should goto his college position (3B) which would probably require getting his arm strength up. Either way, Senzel has a ++ hit tool, stick him in one spot and see if that hit tool can come alive. 

Cleveland one of the rumored dance partners doesn't really need a 2B, 3B or even a CF. I'd hate to see them get Senzel then stick him in LF. 

Rangers may be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Rangers may be an option.

Actually a really good idea. They've been linked to damn near every 3B this off season and have only Todd Frazier to show for it. Frazier is a solid pro, but he's winding down. May be the perfect situation. Grab Senzel, get his arm strength built up and move him to 3B when he's ready and slide Frazier across the diamond. 

However, Cincy isn't going to trade him just to trade him. And Texas doesn't really want to compromise their bullpen (possibly a need for CIncy) with their improved rotation. Andrus may be of interest but then that leaves Texas - a SS and none of Senzel, Odor or Solak really project to that position. 

Edited by kwolf68

They should just trade Winker and run Senzel in a corner. And vs. LHP you can put him in CF and Aquino in a corner. Akiyama can sit. 

This is not really a hard problem to solve. Winker can rake RHP but he has no value on the field besides that. 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:21 AM, ThreadKiller said:

The Reds have a long track record of doing this that goes back to before A Dunn and J Bruce were prospects.  4 outfielders with 3 spots. Also Delaying the top prospects  from getting playing time in the majors keeping them down till they were 23-24 yrs old before they even get a chance to see what they can do.  Winker and Senzel are just the latest to get the reds treatment. Hunter Greene also ruined by them. 

As a Jays fan, I'd love to see them trade for Senzel. Maybe a package of one of their young catchers and a fringe outfielder like Derek Fisher could get it done. Stick Senzel in the OF and have him bat somewhere between Biggio, Bichette and Vlad. He would put up good numbers in that lineup and park.