Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Gary Sanchez 2020 Outlook

On 1/19/2020 at 4:53 PM, Sidearmer said:

In what way is he safer? If by safer you mean we know for a fact he will have a terrible average than yes you are right. Sanchez may have a bad average but he has a chance to at least be solid.

And how do we know he will fare well in Chicago? Park gets better but he will be now facing new league of pitchers. He also got the benefit of some starts at 1B last year and with Encarnacion and Abreu clogging up 1B and DH he probably will lose this. White Sox also have James McCann who had a great season, they will get him ABs. He played 153 games last year, 20 at first. I'd be shocked if he sniffed that many games this year.

If we are talking OBP then you have an argument (even so, he's coming off a career OBP year, so again, that's not a given), but in standard leagues Grandal has quite a lot of risk and much less upside than Sanchez.

Grandal hit .246 last year and Sanchez hit .232. And Grandal OBP was 61 points higher. 

Sanchez is more injury prone, he averaged 397 AB's per year the last 3 years to Grandal's 464. 

I'd normally agree with you about the new pitcher's but we are talking about the AL Central here, he's going to be just fine.

I guess what I meant by safe is which player is the better bet to have at least a "good/solid" year and my money would be on Grandal but like I said it's close.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, jfazz23 said:

hes much better than Grandal like the sky is blue.  hes probably better than Realmuto if both are healthy and have the same at bats.  but JT has proven hes more durable. 

And this here is just silly and not even worthy of a response other than to point out how silly it is.

Not in camp today because he's running a fever. Team would not disclose if he is being tested for COVID-19.

3 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Same as Judge and Stanton. If theyre already hurt in spring training, no reason to draft them.

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Same as Judge and Stanton. If theyre already hurt in spring training, no reason to draft them.

While I do like the spiciness of this take, risk/reward analysis is pretty fundamental to running a fantasy baseball team.  And there are definitely auction prices/draft positions where Stanton and Sanchez absolutely warrant taking the plunge.

Judge?  To be quite honest, I don't really understand his injury.  Is this guy missing the year?  

1 minute ago, Overlord said:

While I do like the spiciness of this take, risk/reward analysis is pretty fundamental to running a fantasy baseball team.  And there are definitely auction prices/draft positions where Stanton and Sanchez absolutely warrant taking the plunge.

Judge?  To be quite honest, I don't really understand his injury.  Is this guy missing the year?  

The same thing can be said of any player that is injury prone or overpriced. "If they fall..." Funny how 2017 is the year where Sanchez, Judge and Stanton all had career seasons, and I dont think theyre ever getting back to that level. Chances are these guys dont fall enough in most drafts because everyone is chasing that upside. Are they really worth the headache all season? If Sanchez is still there in the 9th round is he still a good gamble, even though I could still wait on guys like Grandal, Perez or Contrearas etc?

Ive never done auction baseball but in football I would always nominate guys like Gronkowski and Josh Gordon first, I would do the same with the 3 Yankees.

7 minutes ago, Evincar said:

The same thing can be said of any player that is injury prone...

No, not all injuries are created equal.  A pitcher recovering from a torn UCL is fundamentally different from a guy who's missing time with the flu.  

4 minutes ago, Overlord said:

No, not all injuries are created equal.  A pitcher recovering from a torn UCL is fundamentally different from a guy who's missing time with the flu.  

Doesnt he have a back issue as well? Thats why I would be more concerned about.

55 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Doesnt he have a back issue as well? Thats why I would be more concerned about.

dont think it was too serious as he was doing catching drills prior to the flu

something to think about but if he drops from adp of 75 top 95 then its worth it imo. i got 2 shares past pick 90