4th and 9ers

Gary Trent Jr. 2019-2020 Outlook

30 points, 5 REB, 1 AST, 3 STL, 1 BLK and 5 3PM?!

Was definitely unexpected but someone had to step up without mins from any of CJ, Bazemore and Tolliver. Don’t expect this going forward, but very interesting line.

I'm actually interested if they really need Ariza's veteran saviness.. but Trent has a lot of potential as he can create space more than Simons

Wonder if he can stick in the rotation at around 20-25 mins even once CJ returns. He's been providing great triples and points value in CJ's absence and should be in consideration for an end of the bench/streaming option in competitive leagues.

Anything to see here? Understandable if everyone else is hopping on the Terence Davis train but this guy also seems legit. Definitely more so than Anfernee Simons.

His hot right now but im not sold. With two ball dominant guards...the shots are going have to come by from the guard spot

I really like this guy.

I saw him in summer league and was really impressed.

The Blazers in general like to draft these smaller guys who are flat out shooters, but have a base ball handling ability to work with.

At the end of the game they had a lillard/cj/trent/ariza/melo line up in there for a few possessions, and then went back to Whiteside (over Melo). He's starting to creep into 30+ min regularly. The Blazers struggle with Simons many times because he still has a long way to go defensively, and he misses a lot of open shots (and also takes bad shots). Trent on the other hand doesn't miss, and he's been one of their best defenders since getting regular PT.

If you missed out on Beasley, this is your guy. He's filling that Hood role earlier in the year, and I think he could easily see 30+ min the rest of the year. There's a lot of space in that backup SG/SF for minutes, and Ariza has been sliding over to the 4 to accommodate him. It makes Portland dangerous because they play a 4 out or 5 out offense and they can't trap/blitz Lillard without getting punished.

Earlier in the year teams like the Raptors showed how if you high trap Lillard near the half court line and make him pass it off the Blazers struggle to make you pay for it, Trent and Ariza give them those additional weapons, which is why they've been winning a lot more lately.

Stotts loves guys like Trent. His percentage probably isn't sustainable since he's shooting at an insane clip, but their system is tailor made to produce open shots for elbow/corner threes since no one can stop Lillard from splitting the D or in isolation, he gets converged on a lot, similar to Harden.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

He's scored in double digits in 9 of his last 11 games. He's hit more than 5 threes in four of those, shot better than 44% in 7 of them. He has 9 steals in his last four games.

During the past 7 days he's ranked 17th on Yahoo, during the past 14 days he's ranked 39th, and over the last 30 days 83rd. on BBM he's 12th, 37th, and 74th during that time span. People often get scared off because CJ and Lillard have always been productive, but there's always been room for a third banana 3 + D guy, and he fits that role. Melo has also been slowing down as of late (understandably), which makes Trent more intriguing.

Career high scoring game with 3 steals back on jan 19:

vs Miami:

Edited by Lifschitz

One thing I stand corrected on, I stated the Blazers like smaller guards - I meant based on their draft record (Bayless, Mills, Lillard, CJ), he's 6'6, but the way he plays on the court he doesn't appear to be a big guard/wing (he plays more of a combo guard style offensively). Say if you compare him and a DeRozan, DeRozan looks a lot more physically imposing on offense and he's only 1 inch bigger.

I also question if his height listing is correct, watching the Miami highlight vid he's covering Dragic (listed at 6'3), and he looks almost identical in height. 

Picked him up, let's see if he can maintain some value

Dropped Napier for him......will use him for the next 2 games before ASB and then reassess.

7 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

* Yawn *

I wish there was a block option on here.

You really make no sense. Over on the Porter thread you hype him up endlessly. Porter is ranked 207 over the last two weeks, 255 over the past 7 days, 225 over the past 30 days. Yet, you somehow find Gary Trent Jr. boring despite being a better version of Porter during that same timespan? "During the past 7 days he's ranked 17th on Yahoo, during the past 14 days he's ranked 39th, and over the last 30 days 83rd".

There's some 3 + D SG/SFs available out there, Beasley, Terence Davis, Trent, Hunter, Porter. Beasley is gone in most competitive leagues. Want to guess what Porter doesn't have in common with any of those guys? They've all been top 100 plays, he's basically a points/steals guy who has extremely high TOs, and poor FT. If we're ranking all those guys, he's way at the bottom of that list, and it isn't even close.

9 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I wish there was a block option on here.

You really make no sense. Over on the Porter thread you hype him up endlessly. Porter is ranked 207 over the last two weeks, 255 over the past 7 days, 225 over the past 30 days. Yet, you somehow find Gary Trent Jr. boring despite being a better version of Porter during that same timespan? "During the past 7 days he's ranked 17th on Yahoo, during the past 14 days he's ranked 39th, and over the last 30 days 83rd".

There's some 3 + D SG/SFs available out there, Beasley, Terence Davis, Trent, Hunter, Porter. Beasley is gone in most competitive leagues. Want to guess what Porter doesn't have in common with any of those guys? They've all been top 100 plays, he's basically a points/steals guy who has extremely high TOs, and poor FT. If we're ranking all those guys, he's way at the bottom of that list, and it isn't even close.

Lmao what a baby. If you're on a desktop, just hover over my avatar and click " Ignore User ". Knock yourself out.

That's fine and all, but I look at the player, not rankings.

Edited by Trench Mob

12 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Lmao what a baby. If you're on a desktop, just hover over my avatar and click " Ignore User ". Knock yourself out.

That's fine and all, but I look at the player, not rankings.

Your posts are very biased. Ppl can literally see through you.  

Praise : players on your roster 

Devalue: players you missed out on/don’t own

He’s not the only one looking to ignore you. Your posts are an eye sore, stop being so biased and Dickriding players you own only, look at the whole picture. And also, we can have a debate here if you don’t agree with somebody here reply like a grown a** man.

”lmao...LOL...Your a baby” 

“I don’t have the time to reply”

Or just completely disappear from a thread when ppl call your dumb takes out. 

How old are you? 

Edited by IDatDude
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IDatDude said:

Your posts are very biased. Ppl can literally see through you.  

Praise : players on your roster 

Devalue: players you missed out on/don’t own

He’s not the only one looking to ignore you. Your posts are an eye sore, stop being so biased and Dickriding players you own only, look at the whole picture. And also, we can have a debate here if you don’t agree with somebody here rely like a grown a** man.

”lmao...LOL...Your a baby” 

“I don’t have the time to reply”

Or just completely disappear from a thread when ppl call your dumb takes out. 

Ha, I already thought the same thing in terms of him seemingly only downplaying anyone he doesn't own. 

1 minute ago, Lifschitz said:

Ha, I already thought the same thing in terms of him seemingly only downplaying anyone he doesn't own. 

I really want to keep it civil but these boards are littered with this guy’s biased a** posts.

Done seen him give advice to ppl and always steer to players he owns. Like how u owner a Kevin Porter jr, but got the nerves to hate on Wood?

It just the little things like this that don’t add up.

• Like 2