Sign in to follow this  
B&F

Manny Machado 2020 Outlook

8 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Some food for thought - Would you rather have him or Xander this year? Both SS eligible, ranked 33 and 34 in ESPN’s rankings. I could see it going either way 

Both have good but not great lineups around them, with the Sox' being a little bit better IMO.  But Xander's counting stats likely go down from last season with Betts leaving, and Machado's probably go up IF Pham and Tatis Jr stay healthy all year.  Can see why they're ranked right next to each other for sure.  There's definitely an inherent Red Sox bias here that I'm trying to account for, but I'd still take Xander at this point.  

Have a feeling Manny might step it up this year with the talent around him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

All the signs point to him not being great, BUT I completely agree with this. The Padres are putting together a great team, I just think he will give it his all. He isn’t going to want to be the disappointment on a good contending team. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:43 PM, mavsfan23 said:

With his SB's dwindling and being eligible at two very deep positions, he may be more name value than production. He seems like a fringe starter in 12 teamers, and 4th round seems really high for that. SS/3B are very deep. I don't see him hitting more than mid-30's HR's and I don't think Pham boosts his counting stats that much, so he's going to have to hit .300 or start stealing again to be worth his price tag. I'm not betting on either. 

I get that Machado is probably overrated fantasy-wise at this point because of his name value,but to say he's only a fringe starter now? I can't agree with that.  Even last year, he finished as the 112th ranked player, which sucks for his ADP but is still good enough to be a starter on almost every fantasy team unless it's a super super shallow league.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

I get that Machado is probably overrated fantasy-wise at this point because of his name value,but to say he's only a fringe starter now? I can't agree with that.  Even last year, he finished as the 112th ranked player, which sucks for his ADP but is still good enough to be a starter on almost every fantasy team unless it's a super super shallow league.

Yes but there is a big difference between what he was (top 3-4 rounder) and now what he is imo in SD, namely a mid level player.  The move to SD made him a lot of bucks obviously, but it was probably one of the worst places he could go to put up numbers and unfortunately all those concerns about Machado's numbers outside of Camden Yards seem to have proven true so far.  In a short exhibition type season like this year anything could play out, but long term, his value is likely to remain greatly diminsihed imo.

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yes but there is a big difference between what he was (top 3-4 rounder) and now what he is imo in SD, namely a mid level player.  The move to SD made him a lot of bucks obviously, but it was probably one of the worst places he could go to put up numbers and unfortunately all those concerns about Machado's numbers outside of Camden Yards seem to have proven true so far.  In a short exhibition type season like this year anything could play out, but long term, his value is likely to remain greatly diminsihed imo.

100% agree with you, but I was responding to the claim that Machado was now "a fringe starter in 12 team leagues".  I don't think he's quite that bad.

3 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

100% agree with you, but I was responding to the claim that Machado was now "a fringe starter in 12 team leagues".  I don't think he's quite that bad.

Obviously he is still worth of a spot in most mixed leagues.  His name will get him picked a lot sooner than he deserves in most leagues though imo.

Easy profit this season.

https://twitter.com/jeffwzimmerman/status/1227057975476486145?s=20 

This year he gets 7 of 60 games at coors. He mashes lefties he will get to see lots of lefties from both west division. The NL DH can only help him, if your superstitious he was a all star in 2016, wasnt in 2017, was in 2018, wasn't in 2019, no all star game this year but every other year narrative.

Run don't walk and draft him in the 6th, if your not in love with anyone in the 5th round go ahead and lock him up then even.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:45 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

The lineup has potential but it could be pretty meh

Manny looked like the veteran hero his team loves last night. 

That was awesome to watch, go ahead Manny, you deserved to pimp the hell out of that granny during this series. 

Posted (edited)

[...] 

Right now hitting as well as he ever has.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 2

Is this legit? I know there are people that have a down year the first year of a big contract, but is this the Manny we can expect moving forward? Number's on statcast don't seem to be eye popping but above average. 

It looks pretty legit and in line with past years, if not a step above.  His plate discipline is at the best its ever been, he is still hitting ball with power.

I wrote something more in-depth on the previous page about how I could see his average and power see solid improvements this year.

• Like 1

I am getting an A-Rod vibe with him these days.

• Like 2

With the flameout of a number of 1st round picks this year taking Machado in the 1st round in 2021 is not unreasonable.

Just now, B&F said:

With the flameout of a number of 1st round picks this year taking Machado in the 1st round in 2021 is not unreasonable.

It’s been a short season, hard to rationalize taking him over Arenado, Lindor or Yelich next year.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, mavsfan23 said:

With his SB's dwindling and being eligible at two very deep positions, he may be more name value than production. He seems like a fringe starter in 12 teamers, and 4th round seems really high for that. SS/3B are very deep. I don't see him hitting more than mid-30's HR's and I don't think Pham boosts his counting stats that much, so he's going to have to hit .300 or start stealing again to be worth his price tag. I'm not betting on either. 

Gonna go ahead and take my defeat lap on this one. He hit .300 and started stealing again. Oops

On 9/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, mavsfan23 said:

Gonna go ahead and take my defeat lap on this one. He hit .300 and started stealing again. Oops

to be fair, Pham did not boost his counting stats.