Sign in to follow this  
thebadferret

John Ross 2020 Outlook

Yeah yeah, it's early, I get it, but the Bengals Season is over for a while.

I find Ross kind of interesting. He has injury issues, that's for sure, but if he was able to stay on the field for the whole 2020 season I think he would be a very valuable asset and that for a low price.

The most intriguing thing about him is his (potentially) new QB - Joe Burrow. He has a damn good deep ball and could really go to town with a speedster like ross.

The receiving room is pretty crowded with veteran AJ Green, upcoming star Tyler Boyd plus Auden Tate and Alex Erickson. But to me that is a good thing. I see Ross - if healthy - as #3 on that team. That means he won't be on the field for all the time, but when he gets the ball it will probably  be a deep ball or a WR screen.

Also he is - technically - in a contract year. I don't think the Bengals will activate his 5th year option (which if my research is righ, should be around 15m [would be happy if some1 confirmed this]).

At the moment (01/21) he is drafted in dynasty start drafts as an WR5 (what that means for next years redraft is hard to say), but I could see him being a WR3 with WR2 upside next year. He will probably have some WR6 weeks, but also some WR1 weeks sprinkled in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thebadferret said:

(which if my research is righ, should be around 15m [would be happy if some1 confirmed this]).

His 5th-year option would be an average of the top-10 receivers in 2021, which currently would be ~$17M (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2021/average/wide-receiver/):

Rank PLAYER AVERAGE
1 Julio Jones $22,000,000
2 Michael Thomas $19,250,000
3 Tyreek Hill $18,000,000
4 Odell Beckham, Jr. $18,000,000
5 Mike Evans $16,500,000
6 DeAndre Hopkins $16,200,000
7 Brandin Cooks $16,200,000
8 Adam Thielen $16,050,000
9 Jarvis Landry $15,100,000
10 Davante Adams $14,500,000
AVERAGE   $17,180,000

There's basically 0% chance that the team opts for that, unless he puts up Randy Moss 1st-year on the Patriots numbers. 

That said he's not a terrible dart throw in the later rounds for the reasons you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

nah nah, this cat's a bum no matter who's throwing to him. Hands of stone

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

nah nah, this cat's a bum no matter who's throwing to him. Hands of stone

Agreed, he has good speed but I feel he has trouble running routes...

• Like 1

Trade deadline rumors abound, Team(s) he would help immediately & not just be deep decoy? Where could he actually get best opportunity to use his speed & actually catch the football 🏈? Packers, Bears? Patriots? Eagles? 

58 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

The Packers make perfect sense and he shouldn't cost a lot. 

Lots of chatter last 24 hours, he's pushing for Trade. His response on Twitter to local Bengals writer:

https://twitter.com/WatchJRoss/status/1322268464690712577?s=20

2 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

The Packers make perfect sense and he shouldn't cost a lot. 

Lazard is about to be back. Not even sure he could unseat MVS as 3rd WR. Patriots should go for any damn WR available. 

Just now, Dirtywater97 said:

Lazard is about to be back. Not even sure he could unseat MVS as 3rd WR. Patriots should go for any damn WR available. 

I think the Patriots are calling it a season. 

Bad route runner and stone hands. Injury prone as well. Who wants that?

Maybe the raiders

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This dude is always injured.  Huge 1st found bust now hes trying to force a trade. They should just cut him.