tonycpsu

2020 MLB All-Albatross Team

With the HOF selection news today, I'd like to reveal my selections for 2020's All-Albatross Team.

Pos Name 2020 Salary fWAR $/fWAR
C Buster Posey $22,177,777 1.8 $12,320,987
1B Miguel Cabrera $30,000,000 -0.3 -$100,000,000
2B Robinson Cano $24,000,000 0.8 $30,000,000
SS Brandon Crawford $15,200,000 0.4 $38,000,000
3B Evan Longoria $15,000,000 2 $7,500,000
LF Yoenis Cespedes $29,500,000 0.9 $32,777,778
CF Ian Desmond $15,000,000 -0.3 -$50,000,000
RF Jason Heyward $23,500,000 1.9 $12,368,421
DH Albert Pujols $29,000,000 -0.4 -$72,500,000
SP1 Jordan Zimmermann $25,000,000 1.3 $19,230,769
SP2 Yusei Kikuchi $14,000,000 0.2 $70,000,000
SP3 Nathan Eovaldi $17,000,000 -0.3 -$56,666,667
SP4 Jake Arrieta $20,000,000 1.1 $18,181,818
SP5 J.A. Happ $17,000,000 1.3 $13,076,923
CL Craig Kimbrel $16,000,000 -1 -$16,000,000
Mascot Chris Davis $21,118,782 -1.3 -$16,245,217

Total Salary $358,996,559    
  Average Salary $20,843,535    
  Total fWAR 8.10    
  Average fWAR 0.51    

Notes:

1. fWAR values for the player's previous season -- 2019 in most cases, but Cespedes didn't play last year, so I used his 2018 number.

2. The competition for 1B was fierce, and Chris Davis doesn't really play baseball anymore, so I've slotted the future first ballot Albatross Hall of Famer in at Mascot.

3. 3B, meanwhile, is kind of an albatross-free zone.  Longoria's the best I could do, but $7.5M/fWAR isn't too bad these days.  Kyle Seager was considered with similar salary and WAR numbers, but Longoria got the nod due to the extra year on his deal.  Machado has been talked about as an emerging albatross prospect, but his 3.1 fWAR last season keeps him out of the discussion for now.

4. There were some tough SP decisions.  David Price's contract is bad, but he produced enough WAR last season that I went with cheaper (but crappier) arms.  Zimmermann comes off the books after this year, but his lifetime contributions to albatrossery make him the clear SP1 here.  Kikuchi at SP2 might be a bit aggressive, particularly given the manageable $14M salary, but he's got four years left, while the primary competition for the SP3 spot (Eovaldi) only has three.  Johnny Cueto and Mike Leake couldn't crack the rotation here, but will work long relief waiting for their shot should any of these guys suddenly become good again.

5. Robinson Cano might be the most underrated albatross on this list.  The 0.8 WAR is above average among these players, and the yearly salary isn't as painful as some others.  Still, (a) the Mets will be paying him until 2023, (b) he's eventually going to have to move off of 2B (26th among MLB 2B in 2019 Outs Above Average), and (c) Pete Alonso is blocking 1B.  This one could get ugly.

6. For the price of this team, you could pay for Bryce Harper's entire 13 year contract and have enough left over to buy yourself an extra year of Jordan Zimmermann, should you be so inclined.

Any notable omissions, or suggestions for filling out the bench for this squad?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

As an Angels fan, I can't wait for Pujols to be gone. He appears to be a decent guy, but he's been a below-average hitter for the past three seasons. It was crazy to see him post a sub-.300 OBP in back-to-back seasons.

• Thanks 1

Giants and still paying for the 3 WS wins.  3 "starters" on the team, with Cueto working long relief.  Was Belt close to making the team too?

Kikuchi is one of the absolute worst arms I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching.  I’ve seen a lot of bad pitchers in Seattle, Kikuchi is definitely in my top 10 losers.  Worst mechanics ever.  Whoever saw anything in that sorry sack of s*** should be fired.  Probably Dipito.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Ellsbury probably deserve a spot

Agreed. He can occupy the DL/IL slot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mark Melancon 19 mil

Yasmani Tomas 17 mil

Wade Davis 17 mil

Nate Eovaldi 17 mil

Danny Duffy 15.25

Mike Leake 15 mil

Rusney Castillo 14.2 mil

Tyler Chatwood 13 mil

I think his contract has Mercifully expired 

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Mark Melancon 19 mil

Yasmani Tomas 17 mil

Wade Davis 17 mil

Nate Eovaldi 17 mil

Danny Duffy 15.25

Mike Leake 15 mil

Rusney Castillo 14.2 mil

Tyler Chatwood 13 mil

OMG...this might be worse than everyone else combined.

• Like 1

over everyone except desmond...who happens to play Ellsbury's position. LOL

Edited by jfazz23

Guys like Pujols and Miggy should restructure their contracts(still get paid, just not MVP money), announce this year is their farewell tour, and ride off into the HOF. Milking these contracts does no favors for their legacies, and I’m sure the home fans’ patience has to be wearing thin. 

59 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Guys like Pujols and Miggy should restructure their contracts(still get paid, just not MVP money), announce this year is their farewell tour, and ride off into the HOF. Milking these contracts does no favors for their legacies, and I’m sure the home fans’ patience has to be wearing thin. 

Totally, especially for the Angels. They could restructure Pujols’ contract and pay him well into retirement at the time of a couple million a year, which is chump change. They could then use that freed money to land a big time FA (too late this year) and make a push for a World Series title.

Speaking of, isn’t Bobby Bonilla still getting paid by the mets?

11 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Totally, especially for the Angels. They could restructure Pujols’ contract and pay him well into retirement at the time of a couple million a year, which is chump change. They could then use that freed money to land a big time FA (too late this year) and make a push for a World Series title.

Speaking of, isn’t Bobby Bonilla still getting paid by the mets?

Oh yeah, Bobby Bonilla day is coming up soon, and until he's like 70 years old. I think Magic signed a similar deal that has ended, and maybe a hockey goalie if I remember correctly. 

Why should the players be punished because the teams agreed to bad contracts? Do the teams reimburse players who agree to far below market contracts? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

I wouldn't take a dime less that my contract and if they want to restructure and pay me into retirement, they're going to have to pay interest.

Their legacies are fine. They were generational players  and are future hall of famers. The Tigers payroll is cheap and they can sign anyone they want and the Angels have signed like 4 one hundred million dollar contracts (2 over 200 million, 1 over 300 million) since the Pujols deal.  Angels havent been able to develop any talent since and with Trout has been the problem.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Why should the players be punished because the teams agreed to bad contracts? Do the teams reimburse players who agree to far below market contracts? 

Right! It this sort of unabashed tribalism that permeates out of many fanbases...siding with the billionaire owners over the millionaire players. I find it humorous. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Right! It this sort of unabashed tribalism that permeates out of many fanbases...siding with the billionaire owners over the millionaire players. I find it humorous. 

The best was when someone was saying how Reds fans were having a parade now that Homer Bailey is off the books. Just seem sad to me to celebrate a billionaires savings. Could have signed Gerrit Cole with some of those savings. Nah, Wade Miley! Congrats Reds fans! You totally got this now. ( I actually do like Wade Miley this year as a deep sleeper, he may have been tipping his pitches)

I'm a Dodgers Fan, I hate that we signed Pollock at the time for the amount of years and dollars and now Pollock is a projected bench bat.  You know who I don't hate for this? AJ Pollock. You think he wants to be injured or underperform? You think any of these guys do? Major League athletes in any sport are amongst the most competitive people there are. Nobody wants to suck except people who play in Dynasty Baseball leagues for draft picks and prospects. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

The best was when someone was saying how Reds fans were having a parade now that Homer Bailey is off the books. Just seem sad to me to celebrate a billionaires savings. Could have signed Gerrit Cole with some of those savings. Nah, Wade Miley! Congrats Reds fans! You totally got this now. ( I actually do like Wade Miley this year as a deep sleeper, he may have been tipping his pitches)

*raises hand*

I don't think average fandom is seen in owner/player terms. The average Reds fan knows they're a mid-market team that paid a pile of money to a guy that delivered next to nothing in the span of his tenure. Players always take the brunt of it, not owners, right or wrong.

43 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

They aren't "siding" with either.  They never have.  They don't give a rat's a** about the owners.  They are "siding" with their TEAM and the fact that those horrible mega-year, mega-dollar contracts hamstring their home town team from contending let alone winning year after year after year after year after year after year etc etc etc.  So I find it totally logical myself.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

For the sake of the team and the game, find a fair middle ground, cut a check or restructure it, and be done with it. Miggy can't enjoy playing at the level he is for the Tigers who aren't competing, but he's going to keep showing up, at a most likely very unmotivated level, to collect that check. Even if they're just going through the motions, 162 game schedule is a grind. So full salary to get one off day a week for half the year, or a reduced salary to sit on a beach somewhere? I know which one I'm choosing in their shoes. 

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They aren't "siding" with either.  They never have.  They don't give a rat's a** about the owners.  They are "siding" with their TEAM and the fact that those mega-year, mega-dollar contracts hamstring their home town team from contending let alone winning year after year after year after year after year after year etc etc etc.  So I find it totally logical myself.

The comment that's led to this tangent was:

to which another member responded:

The "they" in question is therefore not fans of the  team in general, but people who believe that the players somehow owe the team something more than their best effort on the field in order to collect the remainder of their contracts, contracts that both the player and the team's management signed.  Anyone who's reading this and doesn't feel that players should be refunding their paychecks when their performance declines isn't part of "they" for the purposes of debating this question.

Anyone who does should engage with the substance of that discussion, which includes addressing the question of whether this money back guarantee is a two-way street, with owners having a moral obligation to pay players who perform above what they were paid.

• Like 2

I would nominate Prince Fielder and his 9 million dollar salary to the list. Yes he is on 40 man roster but that is to keep insurance paying a portion of his contract even though he ain't played in 4 years. This is also why he is still in the yahoo database as an active player.