Sign in to follow this  
Maxcd99

Maximo Acosta - MI - TEX

Max Acosta is quickly becoming one of the best prospects in the 2019 J2 class.

The Athletic has an incredible article on Acosta for subscribers and Baseball America is very bullish on their writeup on him for their Rangers Top 10 too.

He was not a top prospect in the class, signing for only $1.6 million, but he's both improved physically and has an incredible work ethic.

Some snippets (first three from The Athletic, second from Prospects1500, third from Baseball America, bolded portions are for emphasis):

“I want to be in the big leagues, but I understand that it’s a process,” Acosta says. “It’s a long process, and it’s a step-by-step thing. I just want to enjoy the game, and when my opportunity arrives, give everything I have.”

As the 16-year-old was set to finish his stint at American Instructs, he was looking less forward to his week off at home than to Dominican Instructs assignment that will follow. “I don’t want to rest,” Acosta insists. “I want to keep working on my body. I want to work on my agility. I want to get more explosive. I want to make sure I’m putting myself in the best place to arrive next year, ready to go.

“His mentality is like nobody else I’ve been around at his age,” says Rangers director of pro scouting Ross Fenstermaker, who, along with director of international scouting Rafic Saab and assistant director of international scouting Hamilton Wise, was instrumental in the signing of the young shortstop. “(While at Instructs) he want(ed) to please a bit, but when he gets back to being Maximo and simply competing — which he will — he’s going to blow people away.”

Baseball America’s Ben Badler saw Acosta in the Triki League, where he regularly put a compact swing, plus arm strength and a plus run tool on display. Acosta flashed the full Torres toolset. 

Exactly a month younger than Lora, Acosta has the combination of power and speed as a shortstop. Yes, you read that correctly – power and shortstop in the same sentence. I read a comparison of him to Gleyber Torres. He’s a line drive hitter with the ability to go to all fields very well. If he can work on getting underneath the ball a little bit, it’s just a matter of watching it fly. Did I mention this kid is only 17? Cause you know, Torres is only 23.

1. Track Record: The Rangers gave Dominican outfielder Bayron Lora more money in 2019, but Acosta has trended up so much that he has surpassed Lora as the team’s best international signing so far in the 2019 class.

Scouting Report: Acosta combines plus tools in a well-rounded skill set. He plays with a calm, controlled style and easy actions on both sides of the ball, drawing comparisons to Gleyber Torres both physically and in his all-around game. He has a short, fluid swing with good rhythm, balance and timing. He recognizes spin, controls the strike zone and is a high-contact hitter who barrels pitches in all areas of the strike zone with an all-fields approach. Acosta has a chance to be a plus hitter and has at least average power now that should be above-average soon. His feel for the barrel should allow that power to translate in games. Acosta has a thicker lower half than some other shortstops his age, but he should stay at the position. A plus runner with a plus arm, Acosta has a good internal clock at shortstop with good footwork, range and athleticism.

The Future: Acosta is advanced enough that he should make his pro debut in 2020 in the U.S., most likely in the Rookie-level Arizona League. His upside makes him one of the most exciting players in the organization.

There's a lot to dream on with Acosta. If he crushes it in the Arizona league next season, as a 17 year old, he'll likely be a top 25 prospect this time next year. He would have a very similar resume to what Marco Luciano has now and has the potential to be a very quick riser.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

fantastic post! I love Acosta. 
That said, you just had to make this post right before my FYPD drafts didn't you? 🤣

There are so many filler depth players that emerge from these drafts, and at such young ages, it's often hard to pinpoint the impact players (I once drooled over Raimfer Salinas and Malcom Nunez - not giving up yet, but just sayin'). Outside of the obvious first round catches, Acosta is the guy for me in FYPD this year. That said, with the way his helium is inflating, I might have to reach for him at 1.10 !  

I would expect Acosta to go somewhere in the 25-35 range in most fypd’s. Not sure you would need to take him at 1.10.

On 1/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, Gobux1970 said:

I would expect Acosta to go somewhere in the 25-35 range in most fypd’s. Not sure you would need to take him at 1.10.

I wouldn't take him at 10, but I think if you truly believe in someone in a FYPD, you ignore ADP and just take them. I think he def goes before 20 in some.

Some cold water

Timmy: Eric, I hear good reports about Maximo Acosta of Texas. Is there any way to measure whether he’s leapfrogged Roberto Puason as the top SS signing this J2, or have neither gotten enough reps to change your priors? Thanks!

12:42
Eric A Longenhagen: Acosta is okay, no way has he lept over Puason

mamsk: When’s the last time you had eyes on Acosta? The helium from the other publications (Gleyber Torres comparisons) are hard to ignore and I don’t think Puason is clearly above him at any of the other major evaluation sites

1:17
Eric A Longenhagen: during instructs. Mature-bodied kid, almost built like a catcher. I’m of the Heriberto Hernandez > Maximo Acosta mind.
Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

cold water for sure, Lifshitz guessed that Acosta will go in the 25-40 range of drafts. That sounds about right. He's a big risk any earlier - a lot of guys look awesome in Youtube workouts. (I may or may not have traded up to get Malcolm Nunez last year) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

cold water for sure, Lifshitz guessed that Acosta will go in the 25-40 range of drafts. That sounds about right. He's a big risk any earlier - a lot of guys look awesome in Youtube workouts. (I may or may not have traded up to get Malcolm Nunez last year) 

Yeah, I think 25-40 is fair but like, if you're passing on him for someone else, you should be sure youre getting a better player. I wouldnt take a guy just because his ADP is better and then risk not getting a guy you like. I hopped on Triston Casas super early compared to his FYPD ADP last year and I made the right call. People were like "I wanted him in round 3.  The bust rate in these drafts are astronomical, go with your heart regardless of ADP.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 7

Piggybacking on what Brock was saying about ADP and FYPD. I had a team trade up and take him at 14 ahead of me at 15. It isn't a pure FYPD player pool for reasons I will leave out, so he probably went at 17 if you are picking from the full player pool. But the point is that FYPD isn't a format where you are going off of ADP and rankings and things are predictable. All it takes is one team committing to their thoughts and taking a player well before his ADP. If you have conviction you shoot your shot and take your guy. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Piggybacking on what Brock was saying about ADP and FYPD. I had a team trade up and take him at 14 ahead of me at 15. It isn't a pure FYPD player pool for reasons I will leave out, so he probably went at 17 if you are picking from the full player pool. But the point is that FYPD isn't a format where you are going off of ADP and rankings and things are predictable. All it takes is one team committing to their thoughts and taking a player well before his ADP. If you have conviction you shoot your shot and take your guy. 

I got pick 11 and don't have a pick until like 28 or so after that. He's on my list of guys I'm considering for sure. Glyber comp is wild and probably more so based off the year he just had. It's a tough choice but I'm absolutely not looking at ADP, if I don't get him it's because I valued someone more or I got sniped.

1 hour ago, Coach George said:

He is now in the CBS system

I thought CBS was suppose to have a lot more prospects than some other platforms? He was in the Yahoo system since it opened this year.  Maybe I mixed up CBS with some other platform.

31 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I thought CBS was suppose to have a lot more prospects than some other platforms? He was in the Yahoo system since it opened this year.  Maybe I mixed up CBS with some other platform.

Fantrax has the biggest player pool, but other than that, I think its terrible.  I'm a CBS fan, but that's what I'm used to.

• Like 1