Rotoworld.com Forums

Ian Happ 2020 Outlook

My pick for biggest surprise of 2020.

His defensive metrics in CF and 2B were solid.  At the plate really came on at the end of the season.

Draft time he won't cost anything.

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happ has too many holes, but you like Lewis as a real breakout? Even though Lewis had a higher K-rate in the minors and already has 8 Ks in 18 PAs this season? I don’t know how you can point out the h

If you can guarantee contact I can name a lot more players that are always super dangerous.

11 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Is he going to play every day?

What I like about him is that he has a chance at both the 2B and CF jobs.

Souza signing scares me. I think he’s going to need at least a share of 2B to have a shot at full time ABs. He’s really the same guy when he was going 150ish a few years ago. Love the price regardless 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, Magoo said:

Souza signing scares me. I think he’s going to need at least a share of 2B to have a shot at full time ABs. He’s really the same guy when he was going 150ish a few years ago. Love the price regardless 

would bryant being traded help him at all?

43 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

would bryant being traded help him at all?

No doubt

The more I think about it’s not so much the timeshare risk as much as whether that reduced k% is real. If it is then then everything else should follow and pt will not be an issue. And Souza is bound to get hurt and Bote shouldn’t be starting anyways.

We’re still talking about a high pedigree talent. Job is his for the taking 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, larfboy said:

Guy has been heating up in ST... how do we like him? [...]

I think he's been taunting us with tantalizing counting stats for years now, while the atrocious strikeout and contact rates have not meaningfully improved all that much.  His position eligibility is nice, but I don't see a clear path to a starting job for him.  Guy has always been a mirage and probably will continue to be so.  

So as a long-time fantasy baseball addict I am, of course, targeting him everywhere and completely willing to pay a premium.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, larfboy said:

Guy has been heating up in ST... how do we like him? [...]

I’ve drafted him in most of my leagues thus far. I think he’ll land the everyday centerfielder job, but Almora is having a good spring as well so it’s still complicated. He’ll also likely start the year hitting at the bottom of the order as it sounds like they’ll open with Bryant in leadoff followed by Rizzo, Baez et al.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’ve drafted him in most of my leagues thus far. I think he’ll land the everyday centerfielder job, but Almora is having a good spring as well so it’s still complicated. He’ll also likely start the year hitting at the bottom of the order as it sounds like they’ll open with Bryant in leadoff followed by Rizzo, Baez et al.

Any chance Steven Souza plays his way into the outfield mix along with Almora?

He is having a pretty good ST too. He has been injured the last couple of years. (Pectoral injury, also tore his ACL,PCL last spring)

But was a 30HR, 16SB  121 wRC+ and nearly a 4 WAR guy a few years ago when he was healthy with TB.   

I thought Almora had a tough year last season offensively. Heyward and Schwarber seem to struggle against lefties and Souza has a 108 wRC+ against lefties.

So I'm thinking Souza may get some playing time in the OF at the expense of somebody if he can stay healthy.

Just 2 Ks in spring so far with 1 BB. Maybe he's working on changing his approach to be more aggressive early in the count. Batting .500 so far. I think he's had a big spring before, only to fizzle once things count, but I feel like if he's ever gonna become somebody, this is the year. A great spring is certainly more encouraging than a lousy one.

15 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Just 2 Ks in spring so far with 1 BB. Maybe he's working on changing his approach to be more aggressive early in the count. Batting .500 so far. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 3
On 3/5/2020 at 3:13 AM, hockeyfan77 said:

I second this

Too bad hes no longer playing 2B. At least he still has eligibility in some leagues this season.

Edited by Gryfter

When he makes contact, he is one the most dangerous hitters in baseball.

If his approach change last year continues and with a resulting mid-20s strikeout rate, were looking at a possible .900 OPS guy. As a guy with 2b, 3b and OF eligibility in yahoo, he is a must-have at his ADP. 

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

If his approach change last year continues and with a resulting mid-20s strikeout rate, were looking at a possible .900 OPS guy. As a guy with 2b, 3b and OF eligibility in yahoo, he is a must-have at his ADP. 

Well, I sure hope you're right. I'm a big fan of Happ this year, and I hope this is the year he finally puts it together as a post-hype guy. But Almora is going to get PT somewhere. I will say, I do expect Happ to get some time at 2B again this year because I can't see Kipnis staying healthy. 

20 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

If you can guarantee contact I can name a lot more players that are always super dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I'm not sure if this was a serious post, but Happ has a .459 xwOBA on contact. That's elite. Places him comfortably as a top 20 hitter