Sign in to follow this  
B&F

Ian Happ 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, avatoot said:

I think he would be a good lead off man. Switch hitter takes walks playing good. Bryant isn't your prototypical lead off man and Happ has more speed.

How so? He has very little speed and a middling career OBP. He also strikes out too much. I can't imagine them ever batting him lead off. 

Edited by jmcampbe11

So this guy plays like a stud first two games of the season and then gets benched?  What's up with that?

4 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

How so? He has very little speed and a middling career OBP. He also strikes out too much. I can't imagine them ever batting him lead off. 

Well he definately has more speed than Bryant and Happ used to strike out a lot in his first go around in the MLB but his K ratio has widdled down in the last year. Switch hitting truly would help his chances for leadoff man that can play 2B, 3B & OF. Bryant can play many positions as well but wouldn't you think Bryant would be more suited in a role that gives him more potential for RBI's with his power.

4 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

So this guy plays like a stud first two games of the season and then gets benched?  What's up with that?

This Rock hard stud needs to be in the lineup everyday and batting higher. 

No need to panic too much boys. Cream rises to the top. If Happ continues to hit we’ll laugh about these concerns at the end of the season

6 hours ago, avatoot said:

Well he definately has more speed than Bryant and Happ used to strike out a lot in his first go around in the MLB but his K ratio has widdled down in the last year. Switch hitting truly would help his chances for leadoff man that can play 2B, 3B & OF. Bryant can play many positions as well but wouldn't you think Bryant would be more suited in a role that gives him more potential for RBI's with his power.

We live in an age where OBP rules and it's the number one things manager's look for in a leadoff hitter. Bryant's career OBP is north of .380. I don't see any case for batting Happ in the leadoff spot over Bryant. Also, Bryant has less power than Happ so I'm not sure that side of your argument carries much weight either. 

6 hours ago, UberRebel said:

No need to panic too much boys. Cream rises to the top. If Happ continues to hit we’ll laugh about these concerns at the end of the season

I still like Kyle Lewis more as a "real" breakout than Happ. There's just too many holes in Happ's swing. 

2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I still like Kyle Lewis more as a "real" breakout than Happ. There's just too many holes in Happ's swing. 

Happ has too many holes, but you like Lewis as a real breakout? Even though Lewis had a higher K-rate in the minors and already has 8 Ks in 18 PAs this season? I don’t know how you can point out the holes in Happ’s swing while ignoring Lewis’. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

They already have. He's 25, not a finished product yet.

Batting 5th today.  Be nice if he remained there.

• Like 1

Folks - if you have a Happ owner in a dynasty league who is willing to trade him, make a deal.  This kid is going to be an awfully fun MLB hitter for many years to come - he just has such an advance eye at the plate.  Ever since coming back from his minor league stint, he's been extraordinary.

9 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Folks - if you have a Happ owner in a dynasty league who is willing to trade him, make a deal.  This kid is going to be an awfully fun MLB hitter for many years to come - he just has such an advance eye at the plate.  Ever since coming back from his minor league stint, he's been extraordinary.

Was there something you're seeing today or lately? I see he has drawn a walk so far. The Ks also seem to be down. I just hope he maintains 2B eligibility

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Was there something you're seeing today or lately? I see he has drawn a walk so far. The Ks also seem to be down. I just hope he maintains 2B eligibility

Happ came to the Cubs as a first round pick as a collegiate player.  He had a phenomenal rookie year and in 2018 struggled significantly as pitchers started to get him to chase outside the zone - something that hadn't been a knock on the kid.  He went down the minors to start 2019 and openly expressed his displeasure about it.  Since coming back he just has been on point in late-August/September last year and is completely locked into the strike zone this season - he's still going to strike out some.

I think he's one of these players who is drafted high, has a good amount of success early, pitchers adapted and he at first had a hard time figuring it out until he was demoted to the minors.  Coming back to the majors, he's just a different player from the one we saw in 2018.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

He made a swing change halfway through the AAA season in which he was struggling badly. After the change he started hitting and hasn't stopped.  He also seems to be laying off the high fastball which was a big weakness prior to this year. If he can keep that K% in the low 20s, he should be a very good player. 

Loving what I'm seeing from the kid so far. Need more AB's though, why just 40 so far.

Is he getting benched for Albora? (deliberate typo, he's boring)

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Loving what I'm seeing from the kid so far. Need more AB's though, why just 40 so far.

Cubs missed three games due to the Cardinals having a bunch of positives.  That’s prob why your not seeing as many ABs.

6 hours ago, swfcdan said:

I think it's a combo of things. 40 official at bats, but also 8 walks that you have to factor in. So 48 plate appearances total, which is 6th on the team. As Jakersdport pointed out, the Cubs had a few games postponed with the Cardinals. But he has played in all 14 games thus far. A few other points is that Happ has generally been hitting low in the order, which has likely cost him a few at bats here and there. And he didn't start in two games (likely against lefties). So mostly a full time player, but not 100%

Does anyone know if his 2B eligibility (Yahoo format) has a possibility of ever coming back in the future? Kipnis and Hoerner don't seem like guys I would expect to take immovable control over that position.

At this point Im strongly considering Happ as a possible keeper in 10 team leagues.

41 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Does anyone know if his 2B eligibility (Yahoo format) has a possibility of ever coming back in the future? Kipnis and Hoerner don't seem like guys I would expect to take immovable control over that position.

At this point Im strongly considering Happ as a possible keeper in 10 team leagues.

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I highly doubt it. I have him in a keeper league and just expect him to be an OF from this point on. 

Anyone know the Yahoo position eligibility rules after a shortened season? He's looking like it will be CF and maybe LF next year.

At least we are seeing the breakout we've been waiting for.

3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I'm not optimistic, but it's not impossible. Almora is an excellent defender and, as you pointed out, the Cubs don't really have an answer at 2B. So I can envision a scenario were Almora starts getting at bats an Happ gets moved back in the IF. But I suspect it doesn't happen. He's their CF and they're fine not messing with that.

Ian Happ in the leadoff spot = impact player.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, hangin n wangin said:

I'm intrigued by him. He's still young and when he plays, he produces. I know he has the upside so I think he's worth the shot. His OPS was .897 last year if I'm remembering correctly. Somewhere around there. That's worth a late round flyer on if the word is actually out that he's going to be an every day guy.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

18 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

lol.. I love the exact ops number from 2019, followed by “if I remember correctly.”

• Haha 1