Sign in to follow this  
1972Miamidolphins

Miami Marlins 2020 Outlook

Last year we were the laughing stock at the beginning of the year, but we actually did not finish last.  I still have hope in this rebuild and look forward to 2020

Alfaro is a stud that we got in that trade, watch out for Alcantara he's about to light the pitching world on fire(urena and Caleb smith are no slouches as well).  Ihad the opportunity to meet Brinson last season and still think he has potential.  

I enjoyed watching Brian Andersonlast season, but I feel he is on the chopping block, but who knows.

Ready for the 2020 season

- edit - removed excessive vulgar language 

Man, you sound like Mariner fan me 15 years ago.  Alfaro had 22 BBs to 154 K’s and a .730 OPS.  Have you been exposed to so many losers that you think that’s a “stud”.  I mean he’s a decent player.  

Urena and Brinson both suck.  Brinson might be the worst hitter of the past decade.  

Alcantara looks solid.  The farm looks good, some very intriguing talents there.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 7

Jesus Aguiar can very well bounce back, and if he doesn't, Lewin is coming soon. Villar was a great add as well, Jon Berti imo had a similar late breakout similar to LaStella, less power but way more speed. The bullpen improved a good amount with addition Kintzler and now hopefully we can bag strop. There are some potential RP's in the farm as well. Guzman could become a solid closer, Neidart an ace long reliever (Im reaching here)..Overall we can expect some potential improvement from Isan as well. I think we hang around the .500 range this year but things can get interesting if we end up calling up guys like Lewin, Sixto, Cabrera, Sanchez, even Jazz has a shot. Once Jazz is up we may have one of the highest steals total in the league with he, villar, and berti alone. Go fish!

12 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Jesus Aguiar can very well bounce back, and if he doesn't, Lewin is coming soon. Villar was a great add as well, Jon Berti imo had a similar late breakout similar to LaStella, less power but way more speed. The bullpen improved a good amount with addition Kintzler and now hopefully we can bag strop. There are some potential RP's in the farm as well. Guzman could become a solid closer, Neidart an ace long reliever (Im reaching here)..Overall we can expect some potential improvement from Isan as well. I think we hang around the .500 range this year but things can get interesting if we end up calling up guys like Lewin, Sixto, Cabrera, Sanchez, even Jazz has a shot. Once Jazz is up we may have one of the highest steals total in the league with he, villar, and berti alone. Go fish!

I would be shocked if they are even close to .500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Per Roster Resource, here's your opening day lineup, rotation, and best bullpen pieces:

Villar (3B?)

M Rojas (SS)

Brian Anderson (RF)

Dickerson (LF)

J. Aguilar (1B)

Alfaro (C) 

Isan Diaz (2B)

Sweet Lou Brinson (CF)

Notable Bench: Cervelli (nice tandem with Alfaro), Garrett Cooper (I have to think the Fish find a way to get him into the lineup more often then not), Jon Berti (fantasy SB sleeper) 

Overall: mostly yuck. A bounceback by Aguilar would be huge obviously. I dont know about Rojas batting second. I think that could hurt Villars value a bit. In my 5 minutes of thought I've given this, I'd probably go: Villar (CF?),  Anderson (at 3B), Cooper (RF), C Dick (LF), Aguilar (1B), Alfaro (C), Rojas (SS), Diaz (2B). 

There are some names of interest but it's hard to get too excited overall. Jazz Chisholm (SS) could get called up this year and make an impact. Maybe. The Marlins dealing Gallen for him was still a head scratcher IMO, but Jazz has higher upside I suppose. 

Rotation:

Alcantara

Caleb Smith 

Pablo Lopez 

Yamamoto 

Elieser Hernandez 

Urena is listed as a reliever, but I can see him getting some starts. 

The rotation has some interesting guys. It may not be rational, but I like Smith a lot, and I dipped into the Pablo Lopez many times last year (to my chagrin), but I'm not reluctant to try again this year. Alcantara doesn't excite me a lot, but hes a nice arm. 

Sixto Sanchez is obviously the jewel of the farm. I'm guessing he will play this season at some point. Although he doesn't really have a good K rate, he does seem good at preventing damage.  Rotation has potential to be very interesting in 2021, but for this year, I'll try to get Smith and Lopez in the later rounds. 

Bullpen: 

Kintzler

Urena 

And friends 

Bullpen isnt shabby but doesn't have anyone that stands out IMO. Kintzler was likely signed in hope of trade. 

Overall: this team will be better than last year. That's a low bar, but its something. Dreams of .500 are pretty pie-in-the-sky, especially because the NL East shoukd prove to be a strong division again. 

• Like 2

Bless your heart @2ndCitySox, combing through that roster as deeply as you did would leave most folks vomiting uncontrollably.  Thank you for your service!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Marlins would really need breakouts from Brinson and Diaz, among others to sniff .500, imo.  Arguably, they will play in the most competitive division this year (Nats, Phils, Braves and even the Mets look solid) so there won't be many gimme wins either.  As noted, all is not lost they do have some good young talent that could help them in the near future.  Still, without some really strong FA signings and breakouts by younger guys they are not likely competing for anything meaningful (title/wild card) in this division in the next 2-3 years, imo.

Edited by BigPapi44

5 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

I would be shocked if they are even close to .500.

I agree.  And especially so because they are in the NL East where they have to play a lot of games and the other four teams are loaded by comparison.

Also Brinson has been a total bust.  Don't see him changing that around.

Their rotation is very interesting, I think there's a top 40 SP in there somewhere. Good luck picking who that might be. 

2 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Pablo lopez and caleb smith are the most interesting players to me

Kintzler could be a cheap source of saves

• Like 1

Monte Harrison will make an impact for the Marlins this year.

Marlins manager Don Mattingly indicated Monday that Jonathan Villar will likely begin the year as the starting center fielder.

Villar has extremely limited exposure to center field in his pro career (including six starts in the majors), but it sounds like Mattingly is confident there will be a smooth transition. After picking Villar up from the Orioles, there was talk about him also possibly playing third base, but this news means that Brian Anderson figures to be the primary option there. Of course, this plan could get blown up if Villar really struggles to acclimate to center field duties.

1. what does this do for the rest of the team?
  2. Anderson in RF?
  3. Miguel Rojas at SS?
  4. Diaz at 2B?
  5. Berti at 3B?

Well regards Anderson:

Marlins manager Don Mattingly indicated Monday that Jonathan Villar will likely begin the year as the starting center fielder.

Villar has extremely limited exposure to center field in his pro career (including six starts in the majors), but it sounds like Mattingly is confident there will be a smooth transition. After picking Villar up from the Orioles, there was talk about him also possibly playing third base, but this news means that Brian Anderson figures to be the primary option there. Of course, this plan could get blown up if Villar really struggles to acclimate to center field duties.

Related:   Brian Anderson

Source: Craig Mish on Twitter        Feb 17, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

If Corey Dickerson plays LF, Villar in CF and Anderson at Third, would these guys would vie for RF Matt Joyce, Garrett Cooper and Berti?

Its weird to say, but the Fish are oddly fascinating to me this year. They could finish anywhere from 60-102 and 80-82 and I wouldn't be surprised. If I was a Marlins fan, I would probably watch the team reasonably closely. 

Ladies and Gentleman, your Miami Marlins 2.0:

Marlins president Michael Hill told reporters Monday that Jordan Yamamoto will be called up on Tuesday.

Yamamoto is a good bet to join the starting rotation right away with the Marlins reeling from a nearly team-wide COVID-19 outbreak. Top outfield prospect Monte Harrison is also going to get the call, as previously reported, and so too will Jorge Guzman, Nick Vincent, Eddy Alvarez, Josh Smith, Ryan Lavarnway, Logan Forsythe, Justin Shafer, Richard Bleier, James Hoyt, Brian Moran, and Mike Morin. Matt Joyce and Lewis Brinson will be activated from the injured list. And there could be even more moves beyond those.

Source: Jordan McPherson on Twitter     Aug 3, 2020, 4:46 PM ET

No info on who is going to be IL'ed or de-activated (NA) as of yet so we still don't have a complete listing of the players who returned to Miami on the plague ship aka the covid sleeper buses.

I'll step back now so as not to block the hord of fantasy managers rushing out to grab Logan Forsythe off the waiver wire.

Imagine if marlins players were actually owned in fantasy...this could have affected someone’s season. 

3 minutes ago, exaulz said:

Imagine if marlins players were actually owned in fantasy...this could have affected someone’s season. 

LOL.  But hey I own Brian Anderson as a bench player and still have my fingers crossed he didn't return to Miami on the voyage of the damned just now.  And Sandy Alcantara was off to a good start building on the second half of last year.  They have some pieces.  Not just a team.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

On mlb.com is shows their games postponed with Baltimore. Are they still planning on playing these games?

They are suppose to start up again tomorrow thus all the call-ups.  Yahoo has that game active.  It would be funny if Yahoo has it right and MLB.com screwed it up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, exaulz said:

montae Harrison got the call up..interesting power/speed combo for deeper leagues