Sign in to follow this  
Sidearmer

Eduardo Escobar 2020 Outlook

With the Starling Marte trade, it looks likely that Ketel Marte will move back to 2nd base. Escobar was presumably the 2B going forward. With this trade, does this open up SS for Escobar? He has played there partially for parts of each season in his career, except for last year where he did not make an appearance. Was this because they did not need him there or has his defensive ability regressed? I would think if he is still able to play SS he will play there for a large part of the season, maybe playing at 3B against LHP in place of Jake Lamb. If he can gain SS eligibility quickly it will be a boon to his value (he is already eligible at 3B and 2B entering this season).

Hadn't thought of that. Could help his value. Although, SS is deeper than both 2B and 3B this year in fantasy, it feels. So maybe not a huge boost, but I won't complain about additional positional flexibility!

Just my quick take (haven't read anything on the topic), but I couldn't imagine him playing SS outside of an emergency anymore?

Ahmed has finally shown a bit with the bat and his defense is top notch. The obv loser imo is Lamb.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

With the Starling Marte trade, it looks likely that Ketel Marte will move back to 2nd base. Escobar was presumably the 2B going forward. With this trade, does this open up SS for Escobar? He has played there partially for parts of each season in his career, except for last year where he did not make an appearance. Was this because they did not need him there or has his defensive ability regressed? I would think if he is still able to play SS he will play there for a large part of the season, maybe playing at 3B against LHP in place of Jake Lamb. If he can gain SS eligibility quickly it will be a boon to his value (he is already eligible at 3B and 2B entering this season).

You must not watch the Dbacks at all (and that's okay). Nick Ahmed plays SS and isnt going anywhere. His offense improved last year and is a top notch defender. Hes the heart of what's now a VERY good defensive infield with Marte moving back to 2B. Escobar was never slated for 2B other than the occasional move to get Lamb in the lineup. Escobar is @ 3B other than days off. Lamb will spell him and Walker at 1B. If Lambs bat comes back to 2017 form, this might be a different conversation. 

For fantasy purposes, I wouldnt count on Escobar having anything more than 3B eligibility in most leagues unless injuries in the Dbacks lineup force him elsewhere. 

• Like 3

Improved lineup with Starling and Ahmed coming into his own. Can we expect the same type of season this year? Seems as if he had his coming out party last season.

11 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Will play utility role all over again I expect but wont put up same stats imo.

But, why? 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:16 AM, Mrmann1 said:

Improved lineup with Starling and Ahmed coming into his own. Can we expect the same type of season this year? Seems as if he had his coming out party last season.

If I remember right he accrued most of his stats in the first half and faded in the second. 

If I remember wrong please correct me. 

Fun Fact:  His slugging was essentially the same as 2017 (another big league-wide power year). Add in 699 PAs and you're looking at a per PA Ryan McMahon / Brandon Lowe but 60 + spots higher.  Good hitter that hit his absolute ceiling on every level.

Will be on zero of my teams.