CORTEz

Los Angeles Angels 2020 Outlook

Am I the only one who is extremely excited this year for the Los Angeles Angels?

Offensively, they look to be an absolute power house, and this might actually be the year Mike Trout gets some help.

ADDITIONS

- Joe Maddon (Hands down one of the best coaches out there, seems to win everywhere he goes)

- Anthony Rendon (hands down a great pickup and someone who can bat behind Mike Trout and truly be the 1B to him.

- Jason Castro (can't remember the last time the Angels had a catcher whose name you remembered, should have no problem blasting 15 HR for them)

- Julio Teheran (not a huge believer in the guy, but is likely one of the better "under-the-radar" pickups of the offseason.

POSSIBLE STARTING LINEUP

1 David Fletcher

2 Mike Trout

3 Anthony Rendon

4 Shohei Ohtani / Albert Pujols

5 Andrelton Simmons

6 Tommy La Stella

7 Justin Upton

8 Combination of Goodwin, Thaiss, and others depending on the matchup)

9 Castro / Stassi

This is my hypothetical and what I'd like to see. Love keeping Fletcher at the top, but realistically could see him dropping to the 7/8 spot in the lineup if Maddon decides to shake it up and bat Trout, La Stella or Simmons in the leadoff spot. Obviously this doesn't encompass a possible Jo Adell call up either. But I love having Trout bat in the 2 spot, followed by the idea of 3 hitters in Rendon, Ohtani and Simmons who all hit for a .280 BA and above. La Stella will need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke...but if he does, then this is going to be a very dangerous lineup. I personally think Albert Pujols is washed up, and his days of even being a lonely .275 BA hitter seem to be far in the past. With the amount of hitting talent in this lineup, I just can't picture a scenario where they bat him in the 4 or 5 spot anymore. I'd personally like to see him drop down to the 6th or 7th spot in the lineup, but being a .245 BA hitter just isn't going to cut it. Justin Upton feels like more of the same...A guy who used to hit .260-.280 BA, but now hits in the .240-.250 BA range..He too seems like a candidate to hit in the 6/7 spot depending on whose sitting out that day..Castro should add nice defense behind the plate, and hitting in the friendly confines of Angel Stadium, he shouldn't have a problem blasting 15 HR.

PITCHING

- Julio Teheren

- Andrew Heaney

- Dylan Bundy

- Griffin Canning

- Patrick Sandoval

Teheran is a nice "under-the-radar" signing, and on any other team, would likely be a 3rd option. Here, he is the first. Heaney has show nice stuff, but can't ever seem to stay healthy. They'll need him to start 25+ games if they want to have a chance. Bundy has show small flashes here and there, but has never put it even remotely together. Maybe Maddon and the staff can figure it out. Canning and Sandoval....who are they?

CONCLUSION

I love the angels offense. I HATE the Angels starting rotation. This has the lookings of a team who will likely be in a lot high-scoring games due to their weak pitching staff. Don't be surprised if you see a ton of 10-7 or 7-10 box scores. If the Angels want to have a chance at really making it somewhere, pitching will need to be addressed.

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will be interesting to see what they do if they hang around in playoff hunt (should no problem).  But like you said that rotation is absolutely WRETCHED I don’t want to hear any homers try to spin that rotation as being any other than pure and utter fecal.  It’s filled with 4-5 starters.  They have some nice options in farm and some young position players.  They’ll need to go out and get someone to hang for division title.  Otherwise play in game is likely where they’re headed.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

I am so saddened at the way the Angels have handled the Mike Trout years to this point. In fairness, they have spent money. Its unfortunate their big money signings just havent worked out the way they had hoped.

I look at their team this year, and its much of the same to me. This is not the first time i look at the Angels line up and am impressed with their offense. It wouldnt be the first time they let me down either.

Outside of Ohtani (who knows how he bounces back after TJ surgery), their options are super thin. They brought in Teheran and Bundy, neither of which are pennant winning pitchers. They are just guys who are 'there'.

As pointed out, it will be interesting to see what this team will do through out the year in terms of additions if their offence can keep them in the playoff hunt.

I view them as potentially 3rd best in this division behind both Oakland and Houston.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I am so saddened at the way the Angels have handled the Mike Trout years to this point. In fairness, they have spent money. Its unfortunate their big money signings just havent worked out the way they had hoped.

I look at their team this year, and its much of the same to me. This is not the first time i look at the Angels line up and am impressed with their offense. It wouldnt be the first time they let me down either.

Outside of Ohtani (who knows how he bounces back after TJ surgery), their options are super thin. They brought in Teheran and Bundy, neither of which are pennant winning pitchers. They are just guys who are 'there'.

As pointed out, it will be interesting to see what this team will do through out the year in terms of additions if their offence can keep them in the playoff hunt.

I view them as potentially 3rd best in this division behind both Oakland and Houston.

It’s because their GM is trash.  Eppler is a garbage a** GM.  His pitching eye is equivalent to previous GM, Jerry Dipito who would pass on Randy Johnson for being too uneconomical with pitches to acquire 3.5 K per 9 Kendall Graveman’s.  It is very sad when loser a** executives like Dipito and Eppler are in control of generational talents.  It’s not too late for Trout though.  The next pitcher that’s decent that Eppler acquires will be his first though.  Cahill, Harvey, Cody Allen last off-season is fireable.  Don’t care if they were one day deals, one year, etc.  Humiliating.  He doesn’t deserve any benefit of doubt at this point.  If they don’t win 90+ games and advance at least one round in playoffs he should be s*** canned.

Edited by Cmilne23

1 hour ago, CORTEz said:

Am I the only one who is extremely excited this year for the Los Angeles Angels?

Offensively, they look to be an absolute power house, and this might actually be the year Mike Trout gets some help.

A power house?  Trout and Rendon are only 2 players and that is their entire power house.  Which makes it more like a power duet.

And like everyone says.  Their pitching is horrible.  I won't say worse in their division because Seattle is in the same division but it is pretty putrid.  By contrast Houston, the A's and now even Texas sport really good looking rotations.

Good news is they will finish higher than the Mariners.  Bad news is they will finish behind the other three teams in their division.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

A power house?  Trout and Rendon are only 2 players and that is their entire power house.  Which makes it more like a power duet.

And like everyone says.  Their pitching is horrible.  I won't say worse in their division because Seattle is in the same division but it is pretty putrid.  By contrast Houston, the A's and now even Texas sport really good looking rotations.

Good news is they will finish higher than the Mariners.  Bad news is they will finish behind the other three teams in their division.

I think some are being too optimistic and some are being too pessimistic. They have a good, maybe great offense. Their goal should be to be a top 3 offense in the AL (Yanks and Twins will be top 2). They will have to score a lot of runs to win. That seems to be the plan. Score runs, play good defense. Their pitching is bad, potentially very bad. Heaney is nice, Canning is nice, when Ohtani pitches I believe he'll be good, but the others are not looking so good. They've brought in some total bums the past few years to eat up innings and these last couple guys feel like the same thing. I think they stay in the hunt because of their lineup, good/great defense, and because of a couple of their starters, but they won't have enough to win a WC spot over Tampa or Houston/Oakland. I think they finish 3rd in the division.

4 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

I think some are being too optimistic and some are being too pessimistic. They have a good, maybe great offense. Their goal should be to be a top 3 offense in the AL (Yanks and Twins will be top 2). They will have to score a lot of runs to win. That seems to be the plan. Score runs, play good defense. Their pitching is bad, potentially very bad. Heaney is nice, Canning is nice, when Ohtani pitches I believe he'll be good, but the others are not looking so good. They've brought in some total bums the past few years to eat up innings and these last couple guys feel like the same thing. I think they stay in the hunt because of their lineup, good/great defense, and because of a couple of their starters, but they won't have enough to win a WC spot over Tampa or Houston/Oakland. I think they finish 3rd in the division.

How do you figure they will be a top 3 offense?  Don't think they will be close to that.  I can't imagine a scenario where they finish higher than 4th in the AL West unless half the hitters and all of thee pitchers of each of the Astros, Rangers and A's all get injured on opening day and stay injured for the whole season.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How do you figure they will be a top 3 offense?  Don't think they will be close to that.  I can't imagine a scenario where they finish higher than 4th in the AL West unless half the hitters and all of thee pitchers of each of the Astros, Rangers and A's all get injured on opening day and stay injured for the whole season.

I said their goal should be to be a top 3 offense in the AL. I didn't say they would finish top 3, though I think they could and they should end up having a very good offense. Top 5 is my prediction. As fair as the AL West goes, I said 3rd place, you say 4th, really it doesn't mean much. Either way they miss the playoffs. I'm just saying they finish ahead of Texas for 3rd. I think they are somewhat overrated. The Indians basically gave Kluber away. I think they might know something or have a feeling about something we don't. I don't think he comes back and is the same guy he once was for Texas. Their lineup isn't bad but it has holes.

24 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I said their goal should be to be a top 3 offense in the AL. I didn't say they would finish top 3, though I think they could and they should end up having a very good offense. Top 5 is my prediction. As fair as the AL West goes, I said 3rd place, you say 4th, really it doesn't mean much. Either way they miss the playoffs. I'm just saying they finish ahead of Texas for 3rd. I think they are somewhat overrated. The Indians basically gave Kluber away. I think they might know something or have a feeling about something we don't. I don't think he comes back and is the same guy he once was for Texas. Their lineup isn't bad but it has holes.

I'll take Lance Lynn and Mike Minor over the entire Angel staff alone.  Kluber is just some possible extra icing if the year off has him rested and ready to go and reinvent himself.  And Trout and Rendon vs the overall Texas line-up?  I'll take Texas because just 2 great players does not a super strong line-up make.  That only works in basketball.

I also said I don't think they will come close to being the 3rd best offense in the AL.

I'd love to see them get better.  I'd like a more balanced league.  I'm not anti-Angels.  Just trying to be a realist.   And I like your picks pretty much in the division winners thread.  Just not the Angels in 3rd place.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And Trout and Rendon vs the overall Texas line-up?  I'll take Texas because just 2 great players does not a super strong line-up make.  That only works in basketball.

When you find the 2 great players in the Rangers lineup, let me know. 

• Like 1

Top 3 offense is a very lofty goal but they don't need to reach that high either.  They should take JA Happ off the Yankees hands he could help them.

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'll take Lance Lynn and Mike Minor over the entire Angel staff alone.  Kluber is just some possible extra icing if the year off has him rested and ready to go and reinvent himself.  And Trout and Rendon vs the overall Texas line-up?  I'll take Texas because just 2 great players does not a super strong line-up make.  That only works in basketball.

I also said I don't think they will come close to being the 3rd best offense in the AL.

I'd love to see them get better.  I'd like a more balanced league.  I'm not anti-Angels.  Just trying to be a realist.   And I like your picks pretty much in the division winners thread.  Just not the Angels in 3rd place.

The Rangers have a much better staff, no debating that. While I think there is some potential with the Angels starters (Ohtani, Heaney, Canning), they still have a weak rotation. 

However, the Angels really should have a good lineup. It's not just Trout and Rendon. You also have Fletcher, La Stella, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons. They could be and really should be very solid. Top 3 offense in the AL is a high expectation but they have the talent. 

Using Roster Resource, I'm overwhelmingly in the camp of the Angels having a better lineup. 

Angels   Position   Rangers
Castro - C - Chirinos
Pujols - 1B - Guzman / Solak
LaStella / Fletcher x 2B   Odor
Rendon xx 3B   Frazier
Simmons - SS - Andrus
Upton - LF - Calhoun
Trout xxx CF   Santana
Goodwin   RF x Gallo
Ohtani x DH   Choo
Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut

Surprised no one has updated this thread in regards to the acquisition of Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling.  How do my fellow Halo fans feel about these additions?  As for myself, I think this was a terrific deal. There’s apparently still a couple possible prospects that the Angels are sending to the Dodgers so that will be interesting to see. Love the lefty bat in an already upgraded lineup. More power throughout as well as a solid rotation arm in Stripling. Say what you want about Eppler but so far I love all the moves he’s made this season. Can’t wait for the season to begin! 

Edited by HaloFanatic17

It's amazing value for the Halos, who look to be benefiting from the Dodgers trying to shed some salary so they can make room for the Betts/Price deal. They gave up next to nothing to get Joc and Stripling. Their offense should be very good, and their defense should be excellent. The rotation has arms with legit swing and miss stuff, it's just completely unreliable due to health risks and unknown due to age(Canning and Sandoval both don't even have a full season under their belt). Maybe this is the year they can keep these guys on the mound and they can pitch to their ability lol. Gotta think that if the team is in the thick of the division/playoff race by the deadline, they'll look to trade for a SP for the stretch run. Some sort of veteran arm to help add some certainty to the top of the rotation

8 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Surprised no one has updated this thread in regards to the acquisition of Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling.  How do my fellow Halo fans feel about these additions?  As for myself, I think this was a terrific deal. There’s apparently still a couple possible prospects that the Angels are sending to the Dodgers so that will be interesting to see. Love the lefty bat in an already upgraded lineup. More power throughout as well as a solid rotation arm in Stripling. Say what you want about Eppler but so far I love all the moves he’s made this season. Can’t wait for the season to begin! 

Fantastic trade. Can't wait to watch our Halos play. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Fantastic trade. Can't wait to watch our Halos play. 

Hopefully it goes through. At least Stripling. I like the Joc add but he’s pretty much Kole without the D. (Cheaper tho)

54 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Hopefully it goes through. At least Stripling. I like the Joc add but he’s pretty much Kole without the D. (Cheaper tho)

Was listening to a PodCast from Taylor Blake Ward and Joc provides something like 2.8 war as apposed to Kole giving us below 2 war. Was said that even if Joc wins his arbitration case for the amount he wants, he would still save the Angels $5 million over resigning Calhoun for the $14 million it would have cost. 

Is Fletcher still going to get enough playing time to be a worthwhile fantasy option? He was nice to own last year as a new-school Ben Zobrist/Marwin Gonzalez type, but the field is pretty crowded now with the additions of Rendon and Joc

28 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Was listening to a PodCast from Taylor Blake Ward and Joc provides something like 2.8 war as apposed to Kole giving us below 2 war. Was said that even if Joc wins his arbitration case for the amount he wants, he would still save the Angels $5 million over resigning Calhoun for the $14 million it would have cost. 

No question he's cheaper.  That Calhoun WAR seems off to me.  I thought it was extremely close but I could be wrong.

24 minutes ago, Hollywood42 said:

Is Fletcher still going to get enough playing time to be a worthwhile fantasy option? He was nice to own last year as a new-school Ben Zobrist/Marwin Gonzalez type, but the field is pretty crowded now with the additions of Rendon and Joc

I personally think so.  Doesn't affect his PT at 2B and may play OF against lefties.

Any of you Angels fans have any info about what they plan to do with their rotation? By my count, they have 7 possible starting pitchers now- Teheran, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, Ohtani, and Stripling. Has there been any confirmation about Stripling’s role yet? I’ve heard Ohtani won’t be ready to start right away and when he’s ready they’ll use a 6-man rotation. Will they start the year with a 6 man rotation even if Ohtani’s not ready?

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Any of you Angels fans have any info about what they plan to do with their rotation? By my count, they have 7 possible starting pitchers now- Teheran, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, Ohtani, and Stripling. Has there been any confirmation about Stripling’s role yet? I’ve heard Ohtani won’t be ready to start right away and when he’s ready they’ll use a 6-man rotation. Will they start the year with a 6 man rotation even if Ohtani’s not ready?

Only thing I think is a given is that Ohtani will pitch every Sunday once healthy.  Other than that it's uncertain.  Obv the plan blew up last two years bc of injuries.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

I personally think so.  Doesn't affect his PT at 2B and may play OF against lefties.

Is Fletcher considered to have the 2B job over LaStella? Roster Resource currently has LaStella as the starter

29 minutes ago, Hollywood42 said:

Is Fletcher considered to have the 2B job over LaStella? Roster Resource currently has LaStella as the starter

I don't buy it.  Fletcher's earned at worst a 50/50 share.  Plus will share OF sub in days with Goodwin.  Not sure I buy La Stella at 1st but could happen too.

• Like 1