BradMaddox

Eloy Jimenez 2020 Outlook

Can't believe there wasn't already a thread on him yet. Eloy is my #1 buy in for 2020. Guy's projections are hovering around 30/90/.280 and Rotoworld has him ranked somewhere in the 9th(ish) round. Sure..juiced ball..blah blah blah.. but the fact is that he is a 24 year old 6'4" power hitting OF and OF is getting more and more shallow. I will absolutely be buying high on him and taking my lock for 30hr+ 85rbi+ .275+ to the bank.

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Lot of raw potential, very streaky player throughout the year. Thoughts on 2020?

Was pretty consistently good at the end.

Im comfortable picking him anytime around 50 and personally have him above Stanton. 

Strikes me as JD-lite avg wise.

1 minute ago, MSkibisky said:

Can't believe there wasn't already a thread on him yet. Eloy is my #1 buy in for 2020. Guy's projections are hovering around 30/90/.280 and Rotoworld has him ranked somewhere in the 9th(ish) round. Sure..juiced ball..blah blah blah.. but the fact is that he is a 24 year old 6'4" power hitting OF and OF is getting more and more shallow. I will absolutely be buying high on him and taking my lock for 30hr+ 85rbi+ .275+ to the bank.

9th round?!?? That’s just silly. There’s no chance he makes it out of round 5 at the latest in a 12 man. 

Just now, Magoo said:

9th round?!?? That’s just silly. There’s no chance he makes it out of round 5 at the latest in a 12 man. 

I said thats where Rotoworld has him currently. Around guys like Pham and Villar. And yes, any league I am in, he will not be lasting that long.

Just now, MSkibisky said:

I said thats where Rotoworld has him currently. Around guys like Pham and Villar. And yes, any league I am in, he will not be lasting that long.

I know I was just elaborating. Rankings should always be lined up with recent ADP if nothing less to stoke dialogue. Ok time to start my own site lol.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I know I was just elaborating. Rankings should always be lined up with recent ADP if nothing less to stoke dialogue. Ok time to start my own site lol.

I think the only real asterisk on his 30hr season that could be concerning to a rookie (besides the juiced ball argument) is that he faced AL Central pitching. Still though.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I think the only real asterisk on his 30hr season that could be concerning to a rookie (besides the juiced ball argument) is that he faced AL Central pitching. Still though.. 

Good point but I agree he figured something out regardless too. And not like AL central pitching has improved that much. 

• Like 1

His ADP is 54 in the NFBC over the past 20 days FWIW.  

For sure a guy I'm going to be targeting. Round 5 seems right to me. Big upside big talent.

• Like 1

He's almost post hype this year based on the fact he didn't have a monster season. He still wass very very good, though. He hit 31 HR but only played 122 games. If he just stays healthy he'd be around 40 HR with no improvement. Doesn't kill you in average, in a good lineup, and in a good ball park / division. A lot to like. If he can make minor improvements he can easily hit .280 with 35+ HR 100 + RBI 80+ R. This is right around where Steamer has him.

Edited by Sidearmer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

He's almost post hype this year based on the fact he didn't have a monster season. He still wass very very good, though. He hit 31 HR but only played 122 games. If he just stays healthy he'd be around 40 HR with no improvement. Doesn't kill you in average, in a good lineup, and in a good ball park / division. A lot to like. If he can make minor improvements he can easily hit .280 with 35+ HR 100 + RBI 80+ R. This is right around where Steamer has him.

31 hr in 122 games isnt a monster season now...as a rookie!? 😕

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

31 hr in 122 games isnt a monster season now...as a rookie!? 😕

That's my point. People are overlooking the fact he was great just because he didn't actually hit 40+ HR with 120 RBI even though he produced right around that in limited time.

Yordan Alvarez is typically being drafted a round or 2 before Eloy.  probably similiar stats ... hummm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

That's my point. People are overlooking the fact he was great just because he didn't actually hit 40+ HR with 120 RBI even though he produced right around that in limited time.

Ah.. gotcha. He also didn't have nearly the same hype and buzz that Yordan did. Eloy did what he did in 2019 alot quieter. 

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Ah.. gotcha. He also didn't have nearly the same hype and buzz that Yordan did. Eloy did what he did in 2019 alot quieter. 

Well bang the...drum! (not the trash can) Lol Eloy is coming in hawt in 2020 ;)...

Not worried about his power numbers if the ball gets nerfed. he’s a powerful guy and should be well above average in that dept. 

I think this guy is highly overrated.  Sue me.  Xstats aren’t a big fan, and streaky players kill you in HTH.  He’s not going to get you SB. So your drafting him in the 6th round for what? 35 HR and 265 xBA?  With most of them coming in a clump? I know he had a good end of season but lord.  

edit: not to mention in any league other than standard 5x5 It’s even worse because of his terrible plate discipline 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Like 1

When stat guys get hung up on some rookie stats of highly ranked and skilled rookies this is what happens:

30 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I think this guy is highly overrated.  Sue me.  Xstats aren’t a big fan, and streaky players kill you in HTH.  He’s not going to get you SB. So your drafting him in the 6th round for what? 35 HR and 265 xBA?  With most of them coming in a clump? I know he had a good end of season but lord.  

edit: not to mention in any league other than standard 5x5 It’s even worse because of his terrible plate discipline 

His upside is very good. Go read Devers 2019 thread and you will probably see similar things...

• Like 1

streaky player? ha classic. glad we can label a 22 year old season with less than 500 abs as streaky already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

When stat guys get hung up on some rookie stats of highly ranked and skilled rookies this is what happens:

His upside is very good. Go read Devers 2019 thread and you will probably see similar things...

I mean... I’m not sure what you even mean to say by “stats guy”.  Like... yes? 

I’m sure his upside of 280 AVG 40 HR is tantalizingly good, but that’s probably the 99th percentile outcome.  Everyone has upside.  Also, that’s not even league winningly good with no SB.

For every Devers, there’s also a young player who struck out (so to speak)- especially in sophomore year.  This guy’s underlying stats don’t suggest anything spectacular, unless you want to take the last month and extrapolate it.  

I pointed this out in the Franmil Reyes thread but they both have very similar xstats.  Don’t @ me when franmil has a better year than Eloy next year at 100 spots afterward 

and this guy has worse plate discipline than devers fyi 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

streaky player? ha classic. glad we can label a 22 year old season with less than 500 abs as streaky already.

Well... he’s 1/1 on streaky seasons!  I’m glad that the Eloy Believers feel comfortable extrapolating his amazing month into a 6th round pick but don’t feel comfortable saying he’s a streaky hitter after a streaky season 

Also, last thing.  I’m honestly more low on Eloy on OBP (and maybe even OPS) leagues because his 315 OBP (and 6/26 K/BB) are downright detrimental (imo).  Even if he surpasses his xstats into a 280 average that’s 335 OBP.  

To add some context to 2019...It was his rookie season in which he hit the IL at least twice. In the off season he signed the new contract and was moving through new stadiums and processes including a swing change so he can get to more pitches. After his initial struggles, coming of the IL and getting used to MLB pitching a tad he suddenly looked like the player he was so highly scouted and ranked as prospect. Eloy’s work has been praised by both CHI organizations and it appeared fruits of those efforts came late in his rookie season. I think after a offseason familiarity and hopefully continued hard work we see improvements. His walk rate in the minors was never very high but he was roping everything in sight. In the majors he got challenged more and his K increased. Would it not be a stretch to think the K rate for a heralded contact profile improves?  Further the walk rate could likely improves as he begins to learn pitchers as his career moves on? The only thing I really have my fingers crossed for staying generally healthy. 

TLDR: He was a rookie coming off a bunch of changes and injuries and eventually settled into and showed the superstar potential he has at the plate. 

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1

Tons of potential the golden goose now has his chance. Been sitting on my dynasty team since 2016. Overrated underrated. Nobody knows 

6 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Well... he’s 1/1 on streaky seasons!  I’m glad that the Eloy Believers feel comfortable extrapolating his amazing month into a 6th round pick but don’t feel comfortable saying he’s a streaky hitter after a streaky season 

Your post would make sense if we weren't talking about a 24 year old 6'4" 230lb rookie who just hit 31 homeruns in 122 games. The guy had a great rookie season, I could care less if all his HR's came in one month or spread out over the entire season, the kid raked and surely knows how to hit the ball. No, you're not drafting him for speed or OBP (yet). You're essentially getting near-Yordan production out of a guy that can play OF... not seeing the "stop the presses" level of concern here guys..

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 1