Sign in to follow this  
kidtwentytwo

Favorite Mariners moments 1977-2020

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

@Cmilne23 will like this one...

Needlessly sweeping the A's in the last series of the season to lose the #1 draft pick in the ensuing draft, thus missing on Stephen Strasburg and instead drafting Dustin Ackley.

If Cmilne 23 doesn't like it I am sure Stephen Strasburg and his soon to be gotten big hunker of a WS ring does.

I got a good one....way back in the late 90’s...the M’s were at my favorite place in the world, at the time, the good oil’ Metrodome vs my Twinkies. I remember the game having some sort of “futuristic” jersey night for the players. Any who....Butch Husky, M’s left fielder, was chugging after a long fly ball...didn’t feel the warning track under his cletes..and absolutely smoked himself on the wall.

The next day...a few Twins players...along with a few M’s I’m sure....taped an outline of his body on the wall. The tape actually stayed up on the wall for the whole game that day. Never forget it.

Edited by bluntbros
  • Haha 5

Here’s a good one and a reason why I likely loathe this franchise.  When I was 10 years old and not yet jaded, I was a huge Mariner fan.  Lived and breathed them.  Well in the summer of 1994 or 1995 I forget, my aunt won a contest to “meet the Mariners and take batting practice with them”, as a 10 year old boy you’re thinking “I’ll get to meet Griffey, Buhner, Edgar, Felix Fermin, John Marzano, Rich Amaral.”  So we arrive at the Kingdome, enter into the field ready for dreams to come true.  Well, no players are there when we all arrive.  And 30 minutes go by and still no players.  An hour goes by and still no players.  Well after an hour RICO ROSSEY makes his way out, and BRIAN TURANG.  So “meeting the Mariners” consisted of having the 2 biggest scrub f***** losers come out to meet and greet.  Talk about going flaccid quick.  Only good part of day was taking BP I hit a seed that would of crushed the bum tossing to me head if the L screen wasn’t there.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, 89Topps said:

There may have been better players, but no player has ever been cooler than Ken Griffey Jr.

Depends on your definition of cool i guess.

After Safeco was built, demanded a trade to the GM, because park was not the homer dome Kingdome. He knew his chances of 600 Homer's would be in jeopardy.

Then nixed a trade with Mets, saying he would only go to Reds, there by handcuffing the GM. 

He was fun to watch, but he didn't have half the class of Edgar, Dan Wilson, to name a few.

7 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

After Safeco was built, demanded a trade to the GM, because park was not the homer dome Kingdome. He knew his chances of 600 Homer's would be in jeopardy.

Then nixed a trade with Mets, saying he would only go to Reds, there by handcuffing the GM. 

He was fun to watch, but he didn't have half the class of Edgar, Dan Wilson, to name a few.

Would you of wanted to play for this franchise?  At the time he requested a trade the president and CEO who had say in all BASEBALL matters was a former Nintendo trial lawyer who’s claim to fame was helping win a huge court case to keep the patent rights to YOSHII.  I’d rather play baseball in North Korea than play for Howard Lincoln or Chuck Armstrong.  Both those LOSERS killed baseball in this city.  They never deserved talents like Griffey.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Would you of wanted to play for this franchise?  At the time he requested a trade the president and CEO who had say in all BASEBALL matters was a former Nintendo trial lawyer who’s claim to fame was helping win a huge court case to keep the patent rights to YOSHII.  I’d rather play baseball in North Korea than play for Howard Lincoln or Chuck Armstrong.  Both those LOSERS killed baseball in this city.  They never deserved talents like Griffey.  

LOL!  You out did yourself.  I will inform "Dear Leader" of your decision so that maybe we will see you on their Olympic team this summer maybe.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Funny thing, just using WAR, the Ms actually won that trade.

12 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Funny thing, just using WAR, the Ms actually won that trade.

Yes, Cameron was a nice player. 

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Terrible drafting, Ackley, Zunino, hultzen, to name a few, killed them.

Terrible contracts. Figgins, Silva, to name a few

Terrible trades, varitek, tino, to name a few

While crybaby was running to Cincy, Ichiro said, hey I will play. And Boone, to name a few.

4 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Terrible drafting, Ackley, Zunino, hultzen, to name a few, killed them.

Terrible contracts. Figgins, Silva, to name a few

Terrible trades, varitek, tino, to name a few

While crybaby was running to Cincy, Ichiro said, hey I will play. And Boone, to name a few.

I don't even think it was terrible drafting.  Ackley was the consensus #2 pick that year.  Zunino & Hultzen were both considered good/safe draft picks.  DJ Petersen & Alex Jackson we're considered good picks.

They just can't develop players for crap.

12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Here’s a good one and a reason why I likely loathe this franchise.  When I was 10 years old and not yet jaded, I was a huge Mariner fan.  Lived and breathed them.  Well in the summer of 1994 or 1995 I forget, my aunt won a contest to “meet the Mariners and take batting practice with them”, as a 10 year old boy you’re thinking “I’ll get to meet Griffey, Buhner, Edgar, Felix Fermin, John Marzano, Rich Amaral.”  So we arrive at the Kingdome, enter into the field ready for dreams to come true.  Well, no players are there when we all arrive.  And 30 minutes go by and still no players.  An hour goes by and still no players.  Well after an hour RICO ROSSEY makes his way out, and BRIAN TURANG.  So “meeting the Mariners” consisted of having the 2 biggest scrub f***** losers come out to meet and greet.  Talk about going flaccid quick.  Only good part of day was taking BP I hit a seed that would of crushed the bum tossing to me head if the L screen wasn’t there.  

Go to the Mariners caravan.

Dylan Moore and Matt Festa are waiting.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I don't even think it was terrible drafting.  Ackley was the consensus #2 pick that year.  Zunino & Hultzen were both considered good/safe draft picks.  DJ Petersen & Alex Jackson we're considered good picks.

They just can't develop players for crap.

Danny Hultzen wasn't on anyone's top 10, when Seattle surprised everybody, by taking him. College best bat, Rendon, was the guy I wanted.

I was ok with the Kyle Lewis pick recently. 

Taking a catcher top 5 in drafts, has no worked at well in history.

Logan Gilbert was nice.

They finally woke up at J2, getting Julio Rodriguez, Noelvi Marte.

Best moments

Woody Woodward leaving

Edgar's double in ALCS

Lenny Randle blowing the ball foul on 3rd base line

Vizquel bare handing last out in Bosios no hitter

Piniella screaming at anyone

The groundskeeper being bitten by cat on field

Watching the NYY fly home in 95

Ichiros throw right out of StarWars

Dave Niehaus getting out the rye bread

Edited by HOOTIE

I appreciate how the mariners focus more on Christmas lights than baseball these days. Three years of cancellled fan fests (fear for rebellion?) for enchantment lights? I don’t care if all the players suck so bad people would rather see Christmas lights... you would think they could still end the lights earlier or delay fan fest until after their get attempt to make money so  they pay their salaries. 

Favorite memory: grab bag ball night, the person in front of me got ichiro. With excitement I took my turn and got Carlos Fkn Silva, I started to say Carlos Silva WTF, but realized it’s his wife so the wtf had to become a yay.

Edited by myzto

1 hour ago, HOOTIE said:

The groundskeeper being bitten by cat on field

Oh how cool.  Is there a video of that?  Go, cats!

Was that Cmilne23 in his last incarnation?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh how cool.  Is there a video of that?  Go, cats!

Was that Cmilne23 in his last incarnation?

Google Mariner groundskeeper bitten by cat

It pops up

• Thanks 1

The biggest Mariner mistake was signing Josh Fields, RP. He was drafted 20th by GM Bill Bavasi in 2008. As a Boras client he refused to sign. Bavasi was eventually fired and replaced by GM Jack Zduriencik. After much debate Zduriencik re-opened negotiations with Fields and signed him in Feb of 2009. Had they not have signed him, the Ms would have received the 2009 21st pick as compensation. Though out the spring the Ms scouting department became enamored with a kid name Mike Trout. They had the number 2 pick in the draft, but as much as they liked Trout, they had to select Ackley, who was the industry consensus #2 pick after Strasburg. Trout, of course, was taken with the 25th pick. If only Zduriencik had not signed Josh Fields...........

Going from Bill Bavasi to Jack Zduriencik is equivalent of going from a Ford Pinto to an AMC Accord, from Precious to Rosie O’Donnell.  Somehow in the most fitting Mariner way possible they managed to hire the worst GMs in the last 30+ years of baseball back to back.  It takes an absolute rare level of ineptitude and general lack of knowing what the f*** you’re doing to be that damn bad at hiring people.  But then again when your CEO was put in place because he helped save YOSHII in trial 20 years earlier, then you shouldn’t actually be very shocked.  If I had one shot in my rifle to fire at Bavasi, Zduriencik or Howard Lincoln I don’t know who I’d pick.  Maybe Jack Z because the other guys were stupid AF, but Jack Z was dumber than both and carried himself with a swagger of Ryan Gosling when he looks like my a**.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay, Cmilne23, now you have gone too far!  How dare you criticize Rosie O'Donnell?  She was Marla Hooch!

No Rosie played 3B Doris Murphy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jb_power said:

No Rosie played 3B Doris Murphy

Really?  I just actually learned something here on this site!  My mistake and profoundest apologies to Ms Megan Cavanagh (just looked it up ... the magic of Google). 

And hey this is on topic because weren't the two sisters suppose to be from Oregon which is kind of almost close to Seattle.  Also most all the players on that team would be major upgrades for the Mariners and the manager certainly would be.  "There is no crying in Mariner baseball!"  Ya here that, Cmilne23.  Suck it up.  😀

• Haha 1

Major League Baseball is mulling significant changes to its postseason, including increasing the number of teams from 10 to 14 and adding a reality-TV-type format to determine which teams play each other in an expanded wild-card round, sources told ESPN.

Don’t worry Mariner fans, this s***bag nothing organization still won’t sniff the playoffs if this change happens.  Will be funny to see how long these losers can go though without making it with significant expansions.  

I'll never forget Tartabull's '86 season (drafted in '84). He looked like a true sensation. True to Mariner form - he was traded the following year to the White Sox.

That was a big brick in my personal wall of disavowing the Mariners as a legitimate baseball team - and I was forced to watch all their games living in the PNW.

My other one is I was at the home game v BAL when the Kingdome tiles fell onto the field. My senior year at UW - it was in July or so 1994. That was the last game played at the Kingdome for a while. It was opened back up later but it was destined for demolition after that.