Sign in to follow this  
kidtwentytwo

Favorite Mariners moments 1977-2020

4 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

DiPoto was handed a farm system, ranking 25 to 30. 

Was handed terrible contracts.

Cano, seager, felix.

The team was among the oldest.

He saw the 90 win team was a fluke.

Lucky unsustainable luck in 1 run games. A 79 win team using run differential.

He did absolutely the right thing.

He has shed the contracts, outside of the bum seager.

The farm system is top 10.

It's about the process, not the results.

You cant expect playoffs just yet.

He was involved in getting

Kyle Lewis, julio Rodriguez, Jared kelenic, even white, Logan Gilbert, shed long, tom murphy, justin Dunn, justus sheffield.

Give them time to get up and gel.

There is no GM who would be in playoffs, given what jack z left.

As a 37 year Mariner fan, I hope that these guys pan out. As a 37 year Mariner fan, history tells me that they won't. The problem is that we need at least 80% of them to pan out to field a team that might make the playoffs. I don't have high hopes, but there is a glimmer of hope. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, laracco said:

As a 37 year Mariner fan, I hope that these guys pan out. As a 37 year Mariner fan, history tells me that they won't. The problem is that we need at least 80% of them to pan out to field a team that might make the playoffs. I don't have high hopes, but there is a glimmer of hope. 

How many times under Jack Z were we told to “trust the process.”  I’m not trusting anything this loser a** team says.  They’ve had top 5 farm systems, they’ve had numerous top prospects they all bust and fail.  And in large part it’s because the big league product has no support.  They hire the biggest loser managers.  They don’t have any real assets at big league level to surround young players with.  It’s easier for guys like Soto, Acuna to land when you have Freeman, Rendon etc around you.  Being asked to carry the burden while being surrounded by .740 Seager, Dee Gordon, Tom Murphy, Flava Flav Mallex Smith etc.  It’s not easy.  Dipito has a very poor track record of drafting and developing at his previous stops as well.  His skill set when hired was to aid major league club with ready now talent.  You don’t often have a GM who’s had zippo success be allowed to build club up, fail.  Then be the one to tear down and rebuild it.  Mariners front office once again sucks.  

Now let’s talk about the moves Dipito made that crippled the farm.  He’s allowed to build farm back up, well look at these players he traded for big time stiff bums:

Freddy Peralta AND 2 other prospects for lumbering Adam Lind.  Since when do you need to trade assets for big STIFF DH’s?  You can sign them for free off the waiver wire each offseason. Stupid trade.

Ryan Yarborough + other prospects for Drew Smyly.  A little bad luck here as Smyly threw 0 IP for the Mariners due to injury.  

Nick Neidert + 2 other prospects for DEE GORDON!  Since when do you have to trade assets to get softball slap hitting losers like Dee Gordon?  And take on a huge portion of salary.  Ugh.

Enyel De Los Santos + another prospect for corpse of Joaquin Benoit.  Par for the course.  Dipito doesn’t know how to acquire pitching talent.  

Pablo Lopez + 3 other prospects for DAVID PHELPS.  Haha some middle reliever who blew his wheel out immediately.  He was laughed at in industry for that disaster.  

Luis Rengifo + another prospect for Ryan Garton................

Traded Juan Then for Rumbelow.  Then he busts out and they trade only good trade asset last year in EE back for him.  

Guy is a total f***** loser of a GM.  He’ll be scapegoated shortly when they lose 100 games this year and then another GM will come in and start the process over again.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Arod was forced to leave.

160 mil more then Seattle offered.

Pampers wasn't forced to leave.

He demanded to leave.

And he demanded to leave on his terms. Cincy or nothing.

You guys can keep idolizing Pampers

Yup, you're right 

But, he was my childhood idol, so I've gotten over it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He saved baseball in Seattle for better or for worse

Holding a grudge against the greatest Mariner you’ll ever see in your life   

The team saved bb here. He was a part of hit, but it mostly that year was RJ, Edgar, Tino, that had a combined WAR of 21. JR was at 3.3

Career WAR

Arod 16th all time

JR 56th

Career OPS+

Arod 140

JR 136

41 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

The team saved bb here. He was a part of hit, but it mostly that year was RJ, Edgar, Tino, that had a combined WAR of 21. JR was at 3.3

Career WAR

Arod 16th all time

JR 56th

Career OPS+

Arod 140

JR 136

I got love for Arod too.  That 1996 season was one of most amazing ever.  Roids knock him down a peg.  Ken Griffey Jr never worked out so we know he didn’t juice.  But young Arod is one of top 5 players I’ve ever seen in my life as a natural talent.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 8:53 PM, Cmilne23 said:

I got love for Arod too.  That 1996 season was one of most amazing ever.  Roids knock him down a peg.  Ken Griffey Jr never worked out so we know he didn’t juice.  But young Arod is one of top 5 players I’ve ever seen in my life as a natural talent.

I don't think I've ever seen a player hit the ball as well as A-Rod did those last 2 months or so of the 1996 season. He hit well all season, but those last 2 months were insane as I recall. Then he got robbed of the MVP by 3 points to Juan Gonzalez. My buddy, that I always watched games with in Seattle, moved to Iowa to work for a while during that season and missed it all. I called him every day to try to explain what I was watching. He was so pissed that he missed it. This was before cellphones, streaming, good internet, etc. were all readily available. 

Edited by laracco

1 hour ago, laracco said:

I don't think I've ever seen a player hit the ball as well as A-Rod did those last 2 months or so of the 1996 season. He hit well all season, but those last 2 months were insane as I recall. Then he got robbed of the MVP by 3 points to Juan Gonzalez. 

Arod 9 war

Juan 4 war

Monkeys could vote better then those old writers.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 5:56 PM, laracco said:

I like this class alot.

Maybe the best I've ever seen by Seattle.

Granted, some wont pan out.

But if you can get 2 to 3 all stars, and 3 to 4 average players, (2 war), then you can add a few free agents.

IMO,

Kelenic will be a all star. He does everything well.

Lewis could be a 2 war guy.

Shed long the same.

Sheffield is overrated a bit, but hoping he can be 3rd starter material.

Dunn has better upside then Sheff.

Logan Gilbert is my favorite arm.

But pitching prospects, fail easily.

Julio Rodriguez, is the best Mariner prospect I've seen since felix.

Noelvi marte is going to be a fast riser, maybe top 15 overall in a year.

I'm taking him over jeter downs

Evan white, imo will be as good as the highly touted andrew vaughn. 

I really thing we have 3 future all stars in white, jrod, kelenic.

We will have to add some pitchers by trade or free agents, although I think Gilbert will be the ace of staff.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 12:20 PM, HOOTIE said:

I like this class alot.

Maybe the best I've ever seen by Seattle.

Granted, some wont pan out.

But if you can get 2 to 3 all stars, and 3 to 4 average players, (2 war), then you can add a few free agents.

IMO,

Kelenic will be a all star. He does everything well.

Lewis could be a 2 war guy.

Shed long the same.

Sheffield is overrated a bit, but hoping he can be 3rd starter material.

Dunn has better upside then Sheff.

Logan Gilbert is my favorite arm.

But pitching prospects, fail easily.

Julio Rodriguez, is the best Mariner prospect I've seen since felix.

Noelvi marte is going to be a fast riser, maybe top 15 overall in a year.

I'm taking him over jeter downs

Evan white, imo will be as good as the highly touted andrew vaughn. 

I really thing we have 3 future all stars in white, jrod, kelenic.

We will have to add some pitchers by trade or free agents, although I think Gilbert will be the ace of staff.

You live in Seattle?  Can you PM whatever the f*** you’re smoking so I can get in on that.  Good lord man.  Have you put in an application to be the next Mariner Moose?  You got all the credentials.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Haha 2

Zips says rotoworld’s favorite team, our Seattle Mariners, will go 62-100 this season reaching the prestigious 100 loss mark. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Zips says rotoworld’s favorite team, our Seattle Mariners, will go 62-100 this season reaching the prestigious 100 loss mark. 

Optimistic.  I have them pegged for 110 losses.

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So Under 65.5 wins???

1 minute ago, turner46 said:

So Under 65.5 wins???

Would bet my failing kidney on it, my liver and my “Reese McGuire” on that going under, way under.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

Would bet my failing kidney on it, my liver and my “Reese McGuire” on that going under, way under.  

Sounds good to me, shall it fail, I won't be mad as long as there is more comedy gold from you about the Mariners.

52 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Sounds good to me, shall it fail, I won't be mad as long as there is more comedy gold from you about the Mariners.

I think its DiPotos ex g/f myself.

No fan without a clear vendetta, could spew that amount of hatred and negativity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Dont call Vegas on that. 

2 hours ago, turner46 said:

So Under 65.5 wins???

Nice guess

That's pretty much the Vegas line

16 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Nice guess

That's pretty much the Vegas line

I checked 888 sport and that's what it was, I'm Canadian so I can bet there, play poker there etc...

• Like 1

Worst franchise ever?

Ray's. 473

Rockies .471

Mariners .471

Padres .461

Food for thought: This franchise, at a point in time, had Griffey, Jr., A-Rod, Edgar Martinez, and Randy Johnson on the same team and never even sniffed a World Series appearance much less a win.

Edited by killa3312

3 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Worst franchise ever?

Ray's. 473

Rockies .471

Mariners .471

Padres .461

Ever is a long time but the Buccos would like to have a word with you about the last 25 years!

• Haha 1

As a Cleveland Indians fan I still enjoy reading this thread. Great to read all the memories of diehard baseball fans 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Worst franchise ever?

Ray's. 473

Rockies .471

Mariners .471

Padres .461

Mariners and Padres share spring training facility.  Losers!

• Haha 2

6 teams to never win world series

Who will be the last one standing?

Brewers

Padres

Rockies

Ray's

Rangers

Mariners

Only team to never make a world series?

Mariners

Julio Rodriguez doubles in Jared Kelenic from 1st base, giving Mariners their 1st TBD