Rotoworld.com Forums

Zac Gallen 2020 Outlook

On 9/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, Thenewwildone8 said:

Let’s see, 2.09 ERA in 6 months! OMG I was wrong this guy is an ace!!

Wait, this season has only been a month long and that’s in only 7 games. Well no worries, I’m sure it’s not a fluke. Let’s check out his advanced metrics! 

3.81 FIP 3.68 xFIP, strikeout rate down from last year, hmmm that sounds like a mid rotation waiver wire player. 

Well at least he’ll get a ton of wins! Oh wait he’s on a terrible team. 

Let’s look in a crystal ball:

Steamer projects a 4.17 ERA going forward and he’s on a terrible team. 

Verdict: you’re excited because your waiver wire scrub overachieved for 7 games. 

FIP down to 3.55, xFIP of 3.62 (18th among qualified starters), xERA of 3.12.

Curious where he ranks on your WW Scrubs Big Board, can we get an update? Granted, we all know you will stay in Gallen Witness Protection until he throws his first clunker and then magically reappear. See ya then, whenever that may be ;)

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 2
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There really isn't THAT much hype overall, maybe there is in this thread, but he's going for an NFBC ADP of 130, good for the SP #37. So he's essentially going as an SP3 or 4 in standard leagues, in r

Any team that would choose to start Mike Leake over Zac Gallen deserves to finish dead last in it's division.   End of story.

I’m really enjoying my production out of this bottom of the rotation waiver wire pitcher!

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, KrunK said:

FIP down to 3.55, xFIP of 3.62 (18th among qualified starters), xERA of 3.12.

Curious where he ranks on your WW Scrubs Big Board, can we get an update? Granted, we all know you will stay in Gallen Witness Protection until he throws his first clunker and then magically reappear. See ya then, whenever that may be ;)

Well in that case, we may never see him in this thread again.  😉

Edited by mehtavg2000
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Well in that case, we may never see him in this thread again.  😉

I'll go out on a limb that it is safe to say it won't be until an inter-league series in 2024, when the Astros train the pigeons in Chase (whose forefathers/mothers survived Randy Johnson's 2001 season) to coo in harmony when offspeed is coming.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 4catztoomany said:

We always hope regression doesn't hit during the playoffs/end of roto reason but just the way it works. 

I haven't been following Gallen hyper closely, but I wouldn't even call it regression, just a bad outing, maybe hitting a rough patch. He's very good. I'd call regression someone performing poorly after performing way over their head. Semantics I guess, but that's 1/2 of my posts here.

• Like 1
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

I haven't been following Gallen hyper closely, but I wouldn't even call it regression, just a bad outing, maybe hitting a rough patch. He's very good. I'd call regression someone performing poorly after performing way over their head. Semantics I guess, but that's 1/2 of my posts here.

That's fair, I just use regression as a blanket term to signify an couple of outings that put their season long numbers more in line with expected stats.  I don't consider regression a *bad* thing, more just how you describe it, a rough patch.  It's interesting, both seasons his xERA is in the 3.7 range but he's outperforming again.