Sign in to follow this  
cyberer

Austin Riley 2020 Outlook

A tale of 2 players last year. He really floored out once the league adjusted. 

the good news: Donaldson is gone so he only has Camargo to beat, and camargos versatility makes him suited to a bench role. Also positive reports of his swing work in the offseason (yawn I know) 

but by god does the power play. Maybe good at a discount this year?

13 minutes ago, cyberer said:

the good news: Donaldson is gone so he only has Camargo to beat, and camargos versatility makes him suited to a bench role. Also positive reports of his swing work in the offseason (yawn I know) 

One of my favorite late round swings (no pun intended) this year. This kid can hit the ball. He just needs to adjust to the adjustments and he’ll be fine. Great ball park and lineup. 

Can Riley play 1B if Freeman has an injury? Just wondering what his flexibility is other than OF.

With Ozuna and Acuna in OF I would assume Markakis, Duvall, Enciarte would get a long term injury 1B opening. 

13 hours ago, cyberer said:

I'm hoping this is the case

On 1/30/2020 at 12:55 PM, Ryansm11 said:

One of my favorite late round swings (no pun intended) this year. This kid can hit the ball. He just needs to adjust to the adjustments and he’ll be fine. Great ball park and lineup. 

36.4% K%, 63% Contact%, 20.6% SwStr%

Those are going to need to be some significant adjustments.

7 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updated thoughts on this guy?

Should now get ABs. I picked him up yesterday (lost Sano) in my 5x5 league. 

With the DH was already in for full time ABs. Add in Freeman being questionable and now Markakis opting out, looks like an everyday player now.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:38 AM, Sidearmer said:

With the DH was already in for full time ABs. Add in Freeman being questionable and now Markakis opting out, looks like an everyday player now.

With Puig's arrival does that change now for Riley?  

43 minutes ago, cizastro said:

With Puig's arrival does that change now for Riley?  

Probably still a starter but more of a case to not give him all the time he can get. I would guess he starts at 3B with Ozuna at DH. Camargo will cut into that a bit, though.

No idea what his long term profile will be, but another 18 games like he had last year to start this season would go a long way towards winning some leagues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

No idea what his long term profile will be, but another 18 games like he had last year to start this season would go a long way towards winning some leagues. 

He's gone from overrated in dynasty leagues to underrated real quick.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

For me its not about the talent...its the ABs...I have to know he is playing most days before I put him on my bench in my 4 OF league and start him over guys who there is no question are playing n getting in  a groove doing so hopefully...

4WIW...I love me some Rakin' Riley...play the man!

Edited by dfstout

I continuously criticized his believers last year because of his horrific plate discipline but with how far he's dropped in ADP - and general consensus - he's too cheap to not take a chance on that could win you your league with a streak like he had last year. Especially if any of his Summer Camp performance is real (5 K in 28 AB). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I continuously criticized his believers last year because of his horrific plate discipline but with how far he's dropped in ADP - and general consensus - he's too cheap to not take a chance on that could win you your league with a streak like he had last year. Especially if any of his Summer Camp performance is real (5 K in 28 AB). 

I was one of those believers 😆 Im still scarred from your harrassment 😆

Joking aside I believe my dude has turned a corner...a Hot Corner!...

Im scouring my roster for someone to drop for him...well see!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/3/2020 at 6:04 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

36.4% K%, 63% Contact%, 20.6% SwStr%

Those are going to need to be some significant adjustments.

I could be wrong, but the first 2 stats you listed are exactly the same thing.

Everyone agrees, he needs to strike out less.  That being said, I play in dynasty leagues. When he was about to get called up and then the first few weeks he was peak value, and now I see him available on waiver wires, albeit not in dynasty league waiver wires.  

I sign off if you can buy low and hope he adjusts. I certainly think he cuts down from 36, but this obviously needs to be sub 30 ultimately, ideally no more than 25-27.

Edited by brockpapersizer

31 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I could be wrong, but the first 2 stats you listed are exactly the same thing.

Everyone agrees, he needs to strike out less.  That being said, I play in dynasty leagues. When he was about to get called up and then the first few weeks he was peak value, and now I see him available on waiver wires, albeit not in dynasty league waiver wires.  

I sign off if you can buy low and hope he adjusts. I certainly think he cuts down from 36, but this obviously needs to be sub 30 ultimately, ideally no more than 25-27.

They're not. Contact% is contact made divided by swings. K% is obviously strikeouts divided by plate appearances.

28 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

They're not. Contact% is contact made divided by swings. K% is obviously strikeouts divided by plate appearances.

I'm thinking of contact rate or something else then.

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Monster blast. Started all 3 games so far which is a great sign.

• Like 1