SuperJoint

Dak Prescott 2020 Outlook

On 10/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Islanderman said:

Why hasn't Dallas put him on IR yet?

It is pretty perplexing why he has not been placed there?

I get only a fraction of us play dynasty (for it to matter), but still no clue why DAL is not wanting to utilize his roster spot?

6 minutes ago, Tghetty said:

I am 99.876% positive that he was being sarcastic 

I am 💯%

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tghetty said:

I am 99.876% positive that he was being sarcastic 

I know just still sharing the info for dynasty people. Not that hard to tell

On 10/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, FitzMagic said:

People saying he should have taken the money are crazy. It was a freak injury

It's not crazy at all, and it wasn't crazy when people were saying it at the time. The downside of not agreeing to the 175mil deal then is exactly what happened.

How much will any extra money above the original 175mil even affect his quality of life? Another 30, 40, even 60 million on top of that isn't actually worth that much. It wouldn't change his life in any meaningful way. A lost season and a devasting injury on the other hand, definitely could.

So saying freak injury as if that means anything in regard to his contract situation is laughable. The NFL is a breeding ground for freak injuries

2 minutes ago, steakaficianado said:

It's not crazy at all, and it wasn't crazy when people were saying it at the time. The downside of not agreeing to the 175mil deal then is exactly what happened.

How much will any extra money above the original 175mil even affect his quality of life? Another 30, 40, even 60 million on top of that isn't actually worth that much. It wouldn't change his life in any meaningful way. A lost season and a devasting injury on the other hand, definitely could.

What you might be overlooking is that the 175mil deal probably wasn't fully guaranteed, and Dak wouldn't necessarily have made it to the full term of the deal.  Let's say he signed that deal and he gets injured in the same horrific way.  The Cowboys can release him for a fraction of the value of the contract.  There may be injury guarantees or insurance included in the contract, but I would be confident in betting that it's not for the full value of the contract.  So any yearly increase in the salary he earns IS meaningful to guard against just that very occurrence as what happened here.

1 minute ago, HarambeLives said:

Can they tag him again?

Yep.

39 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

terrible. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-contract-negotiations-cowboys-prepared-to-place-franchise-tag-on-star-quarterback-again-in-2021/amp/

Franchise tag would be ~$40M next season which is insanely above what he would get on the open market given the injury, so I see it as a gesture of good faith rather than a terrible thing.

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-contract-negotiations-cowboys-prepared-to-place-franchise-tag-on-star-quarterback-again-in-2021/amp/

Franchise tag would be ~$40M next season which is insanely above what he would get on the open market given the injury, so I see it as a gesture of good faith rather than a terrible thing.

That’s the most likely outcome, I believe so too.

A win-win for both parties.

Because who knows what Dak will look like once he’s back.

This way he gets one big payday atleast, and Dallas has a good year to evaluate the situation.

2 hours ago, RunCMC said:

That’s the most likely outcome, I believe so too.

A win-win for both parties.

Because who knows what Dak will look like once he’s back.

This way he gets one big payday atleast, and Dallas has a good year to evaluate the situation.

I get the pay day and the money but damn what if the guy is over this whole organization? Definitely not a bad check by any means. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vercrazy said:

im not sure i can agree here in regards to Dak's potential value in the open market if hypothetically he hit FA next year coming off this injury.  $40 mil in a few short years is going to be a drop in the bucket potentially for the most premiere position in this game.  The amount of years has been the sticking point far beyond the per year figures(not totally sure the guaranteed dollars tho TBH).  I think we would see a handful of teams show interest at 40 mil per if Dak stays on track with his recovery timeline. Esp now knowing he has no structural damage and has cleared infection recently.  

all that being said, i do think the tag is a given.  This negotiations been a tough one with both sides dug in.  The tag will be placed to further the discussions towards a long term deal.  Given the hell s**t show happening in Dallas right now and the amount of games Jerry will have to sit and lose, i think Jerry caves and gives Dak a mega deal when all said and done.  

I do also think there is an interesting wrinkle ahead here potentially also.  Dallas is god awful right now. I start to wonder how bad they finish in 2020.  If say Dallas hits Dak with the tag in Feb and the negotiations are still stalled to a heavy degree entering the time when the 2021 draft prep ramps way up.  If Dallas sucks bad enough in 2020 and they are sitting in a place to pull the trigger on say Justin Fields, i do wonder how this plays out long term.  I could see them drafting a QB, tagging Dak, then letting him hit FA in 22'.  The longer Dak and his agent play hardball closer to the 2021 draft, the more nervous i'd have to think Jerry and Co. get about their ability to sign Dak long term.  TBH, it would not surprise me one bit if deep down Dak is wanting out all together to hit the FA market in 2022. Very possible 

Edited by BlakeP42