Gobux1970

Jose Garcia, SS, Cincinnati Redlegs

I didn’t see a thread for him so I thought I’d start one. I think Garcia has probably moved up prospect lists as much as anyone not named Noelvi Marte or Orelvis Martinez in the past year. It feels like he will be the SS for the Reds by mid 2021 if he continues to hit this year.

i know that Will Scharnagl from Prospects 365 absolutely loves him. He currently has him as the 28th best prospect.

• Like 3

That looks pretty dang good doesn’t it?

Those of us that jumped on Jose Israel Garcia might be on to something. He definitely looks the part!

• Like 1

Not going to lie... he’s got a great swing.... what’s his ETA? 2022? That’s a little too long for me to stash unless he’s a bonafide stud. I’m intrigued though.

3 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

Not going to lie... he’s got a great swing.... what’s his ETA? 2022? That’s a little too long for me to stash unless he’s a bonafide stud. I’m intrigued though.

With a little luck he could be up the middle of next year.

26 minutes ago, dan said:

Next year isn’t out of the question if he performs like I think he can and will. The good news is that the Reds don’t really have anyone blocking him at SS.

15 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Curious what’s his projected ceiling?

Maybe a.270 average with 20+ homers and 20+ steals. Part of the reason he hasn't received much hype is that he really isn't elite at anything. He doesn't have a plus hit tool and he probably won't be one of the top shortstops in homers or steals. So, his ceiling is limited. But, he doesn't have a big weakness anywhere either. And there's a lot less of a chance that he'll have to move to a different position (which is notable since a lot of shortstop prospects that make it to the majors end up at other positions).

Edited by dan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RB_24 said:

Could be the next Francisco Lindor?  

doubtful

2 hours ago, RB_24 said:

Could be the next Francisco Lindor?  

How so? Defense/speed first prospect and Coming out of nowhere with the power and hit tool?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, StartYourStuds said:

On 2/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, dan said:

Seems like I see these conservative timelines over and over again.  And for some franchises (Rays come to mind) they play out that way, but not for all.  Yordan Alvarez, Benintendi, Bregman, Devers, Lux ... the list is super long of guys who just flat-out performed and ended up beating out the conservative timelines by a year or more (for Devers, probably by at least two years).

When a guy is performing like a stud, wait at your peril these days.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, Overlord said:

Seems like I see these conservative timelines over and over again.  And for some franchises (Rays come to mind) they play out that way, but not for all.  Yordan Alvarez, Benintendi, Bregman, Devers, Lux ... the list is super long of guys who just flat-out performed and ended up beating out the conservative timelines by a year or more (for Devers, probably by at least two years).

Whoa back the truck up, STUD? 21 yr old in A ball with a .436 slg% and .779 ops.

9 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Whoa back the truck up, STUD? 21 yr old in A ball with a .436 slg% and .779 ops.

have you ever looked at the league leaders of the Florida state league?

The only 3 guys above him in ops for 24,24 and 26 years old.

Its a pitchers league and he was clearly one of the best hitters in the league.

Garcia’s ranks

37 doubles(1st by 5)

.280 avg(t-8th)

.343 obp(9th)
.436 slg(3rd)

.779 ops(4th)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Garcia’s ranks

37 doubles(1st by 5)

.280 avg(t-8th)

.343 obp(9th)
.436 slg(3rd)

.779 ops(4th)

Sometimes people ignore all surrounding context (age, competition, etc) when it comes to evaluating players/athletes. This is a problem across all sports tbh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Dismiss him at your own peril.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Garcia’s ranks

37 doubles(1st by 5)

.280 avg(t-8th)

.343 obp(9th)
.436 slg(3rd)

.779 ops(4th)

Not to mention he got better as the season went on, hitting .295/.360/.451 the last few months. Add in reports of a clear swing change and there's a lot of development that people can't see just on the surface stats alone. The power is blossoming, the speed is already there, and it's a given that he'll be able to stick at SS due to how good he is defensively. Hit tool is the main question mark as of now, with his aggressive approach and some swing and miss. As long as he cuts down the K's(which he did as the year went on), an aggressive approach is fine

8 hours ago, pan55 said:

Dismiss him at your own peril.

I was able to nab him with the very last pick(5.16 overall) in my league's MILB draft. Flat 5 round draft every offseason, with close to, or normally above 100 prospects already on rosters prior to the start of said drafts.

• Like 1

Never said he was not a good prospect, but could do without the STUD coment

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, Overlord said:

2 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Never said he was not a good prospect, but could do without the STUD coment

He said he was preforming like a stud, which he was doing in ST

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1