CrypTviLL

2020 Fantasy Baseball League Settings Thread

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

 

1) Do you prefer H2H Categories (typically 5x5) OR H2H points leagues?

Last year I STRONGLY preferred points leagues. I think I'm going to switch a lot of my cat leagues over to points. What do you think?

I guess a CON of a points league is that it takes some strategy out of team building... i.e. the guys that steal 45 bases only can safely be off your radar if you want. It is also very dependent on your SP matchups for the week... get good match ups and results and you are almost guranteed to win regardless what your hitters do.

CONs of a Category league might be the reverse... some teams might just grab certain players to win 6-4 every week. Also if your stolen base monster gets injured early, you can put up a big fat 0 for the rest of the year if you aren't careful in sb.

 

2) If you had to choose only ONE league for the year would it be:

a) 5x5 H2H Categories
b) 5x5 ROTO
C) H2H Points leagues
d)  ROTO with more categories
e) H2H with more categories

 

Interested in what you guys think.

H2H 5x5 Each Category... My thought process that point leagues are for newbies. 
 

A or B .... 
 

Final thought. You play in a league that YOU like and want to play in. 
 

There is no right answer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quit playing categories years ago for points leagues. Roto, you end up rostering real life mediocre players to win categories like SB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

 

1) Do you prefer H2H Categories (typically 5x5) OR H2H points leagues?

Last year I STRONGLY preferred points leagues. I think I'm going to switch a lot of my cat leagues over to points. What do you think?

I guess a CON of a points league is that it takes some strategy out of team building... i.e. the guys that steal 45 bases only can safely be off your radar if you want. It is also very dependent on your SP matchups for the week... get good match ups and results and you are almost guranteed to win regardless what your hitters do.

CONs of a Category league might be the reverse... some teams might just grab certain players to win 6-4 every week. Also if your stolen base monster gets injured early, you can put up a big fat 0 for the rest of the year if you aren't careful in sb.

 

2) If you had to choose only ONE league for the year would it be:

a) 5x5 H2H Categories
b) 5x5 ROTO
C) H2H Points leagues
d)  ROTO with more categories
e) H2H with more categories

 

Interested in what you guys think.

I play in both D and E leagues: a H2H keeper  and redraft and  Roto Dynasty league

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my first year doing a head to head points league and I’m in need of some advice on scoring categories and point values. Normally we did stardard 5x5 scoring but added OBP and holds. We also got rid of wins and replaced it with quality starts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is mine that ive been tweaking

Batters Stat Category Value
Runs (R) 1
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2
Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 3
Caught Stealing (CS) -1
Walks (BB) 1
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 1
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 5
Pitchers Stat Category Value
Innings Pitched (IP) 3
Wins (W) 2
Losses (L) -2
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 8
Hits (H) -1
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Walks (BB) -1
Hit Batters (HBP) -1
Strikeouts (K) 1
Holds (HLD) 4
No Hitters (NH) 5
Quality Starts (QS) 4
Blown Saves (BSV) -4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

this is mine that ive been tweaking

Batters Stat Category Value
Runs (R) 1
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2
Triples (3B) 3
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 3
Caught Stealing (CS) -1
Walks (BB) 1
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 1
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 5
Pitchers Stat Category Value
Innings Pitched (IP) 3
Wins (W) 2
Losses (L) -2
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 8
Hits (H) -1
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Walks (BB) -1
Hit Batters (HBP) -1
Strikeouts (K) 1
Holds (HLD) 4
No Hitters (NH) 5
Quality Starts (QS) 4
Blown Saves (BSV) -4

Do you find these settings make scoring balanced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my system (v3) it has been 4 yrs since I made any tweaks, it is super fun and very balanced:

1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3.5 points
BB Walks (Batters) 1 point
CS Caught Stealing -.75 points
CYC Hitting for the Cycle 20 points
GDP Ground Into Double Plays -1.25 points
GSHR Grand Slam Home Runs 3 points
HP Hit by Pitch .25 points
HR Home Runs 5.5 points
HRISP Hits Runners in Sco. Pos. .5 points
IB Intentional Walks .5 points
KO Strikeouts (Batter) -1 point
R Runs 3 points
RBI Runs Batted In 3 points
SB Stolen Bases 2.5 points
SF Sacrifice Flies 1 point
SH Sacrifice Hits .25 points
 
 
BBI Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
BS Blown Saves -4 points
CG Complete Games 6 points
CGL Complete Game Loss 3 points
ER Earned Runs -2 points
HA Hits Allowed -.75 points
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
HD Holds 6 points
INN Innings 1.5 points
K Strikeouts (Pitcher) 3 points
L Losses -5 points
NH No-Hitters 25 points
PG Perfect Games 30 points
QS Quality Starts 5 points
S Saves 12 points
SO Shutouts 8 points
W Wins 8 points
WP Wild Pitches -.25 points

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheLivingLegend said:

Do you find these settings make scoring balanced?

I think that's a bit subjective, but yeah my main goal in points leagues is to create the same balance that 5x5 leagues do, to an extent.

Feel free to try them out by inputting them in your league and checking how many points players scored last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best league setup:

 

15 Team ROTO, 5x5 usual categories with OBP Instead of AVG.

2 C, 1 1b, 1 2b, 1 3b, 1 SS, 1 MI, 1 CI, 5 OF, 1 UTIL, 9 Pitcher slots,  Bench: 7, IL: 3, NA:1

$100 FAB, Fab goes through on M/W/F. 

Anything you would change? :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Best league setup:

 

15 Team ROTO, 5x5 usual categories with OBP Instead of AVG.

2 C, 1 1b, 1 2b, 1 3b, 1 SS, 1 MI, 1 CI, 5 OF, 1 UTIL, 9 Pitcher slots,  Bench: 7, IL: 3, NA:1

$100 FAB, Fab goes through on M/W/F. 

Anything you would change? :).

Sounds good, and I love this change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked total point leagues more than H2H and definitely better than roto(which is just a less complex version of a proper season points league). But no one does them anymore and no one ever joins the ones I've set up. 

The only legitimate complaint I've ever heard is that it doesn't really promote socialization, but I've been in plenty of leagues where no one talks to each other. I think that's more on the personalities of the owners than the type of league. 

Free agent abuse can be stifled easily with score settings. Costs for transactions can limit it as well.

You can do so many categories, and my group of friends and I had setups that made scoring more balanced, not making power and strikeouts the be-all end-all.

If you have the right settings, there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't remain competitive throughout the season as long as you have dedicated owners. And, it takes away some of the dumb luck(why I dislike H2H) out of the equation.  

Maybe some thoughts? 

Edited by thecrimsonllama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I here ya. I like them a bunch too, esp with the sort of scoring format I have created. I have pivoted over to doing some Best Balls, but really wish I could get enough interest in a strict total points league. Just so many of the guy that fill my leagues (and many leagues in general) came from FF and that is so H2H driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I here ya. I like them a bunch too, esp with the sort of scoring format I have created. I have pivoted over to doing some Best Balls, but really wish I could get enough interest in a strict total points league. Just so many of the guy that fill my leagues (and many leagues in general) came from FF and that is so H2H driven.

What is your scoring system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

What is your scoring system?

I have it listed just a few posts above :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Yahoo and ESPN can a Suspended player be put on the injured list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B&F said:

In Yahoo and ESPN can a Suspended player be put on the injured list?

Not in Yahoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we take a moment to talk about why .BA is still the standard?

IMO OBP > BA by far and OPS >>>>>> BA by super far. 

Walks are forgotten in standard settings. Doubles/triples don't really mean much in a standard 5x5 unless they come with counting stats.

OPS is the way to go. OBP is fine too. BA is just so outdated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Can we take a moment to talk about why .BA is still the standard?

IMO OBP > BA by far and OPS >>>>>> BA by super far. 

Walks are forgotten in standard settings. Doubles/triples don't really mean much in a standard 5x5 unless they come with counting stats.

OPS is the way to go. OBP is fine too. BA is just so outdated. 

Agree, in all my league we use OBP or OPS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Agree, in all my league we use OBP or OPS

Yup, this will be the first year where I don't have a single league that uses .BA.

In fact, I think all my leages use OPS not even OBP anymore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you rank these categories in a Roto league:

 

W

QS 

IP 

H

SV+H

 

Looking to add a 6th category,  already use W SV ERA Whip K

 

 

Thx 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

How would you rank these categories in a Roto league:

 

W

QS 

IP 

H

SV+H

 

Looking to add a 6th category,  already use W SV ERA Whip K

 

 

Thx 

W - Until they revise how W's are given out in the real world, I'll dislike the stat as a category.

QS - I love this one and tried to get my league to switch a few years ago, but was in the minority.

IP - straight IP? Not sure why you would use that.

H - hits or holds? If it's hits, I'm not sure why you would use this. Holds I like, but not as a stand alone category

SV+H - not a fan of making saves and holds equal.

My league uses W, ERA, IP-Hits, K-BB, Sv-BS+(Hold/2). Greatest categories ever (except for W).  :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bigbossman said:

How would you rank these categories in a Roto league:

 

W

QS 

IP 

H

SV+H

 

Looking to add a 6th category,  already use W SV ERA Whip K

 

 

Thx 

I would add quality starts, or holds: QS would come first 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Points leagues (properly calibrated) are so much better and tons more fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Can we take a moment to talk about why .BA is still the standard?

IMO OBP > BA by far and OPS >>>>>> BA by super far. 

Walks are forgotten in standard settings. Doubles/triples don't really mean much in a standard 5x5 unless they come with counting stats.

OPS is the way to go. OBP is fine too. BA is just so outdated. 

 

Seems insane to me to not count walks in fantasy baseball. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Seems insane to me to not count walks in fantasy baseball. 

While I agree, it’s almost like the wins v. QS argument. While wins are silly and outdated, I’m also not a fan of QS. 5.2 IP, 0 ER is worse than 6 IP, 3 ER. Also takes out anyone who has an opener. So I’ll keep the “win” until there’s something I see as a superior option.

A walk is not equal to a single, which is not equal to a double.  OBP isn’t really superior, it just values differently. OPS of course is better, but if I were switching it would need to be to wOBA which appropriately weighs how a player gets on base correctly.

And while I’ve considered these changes in my league, many of my league mates love “simple and fun.” They’re ok with the randomness of MR getting a cheap win, or Tim Anderson winning a batting title. There’s some value in that, too. Otherwise, why not just run a WAR league (which I’m in, FWIW)?

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.