CrypTviLL

2020 Fantasy Baseball League Settings Thread

17 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A walk is not equal to a single, which is not equal to a double.  OBP isn’t really superior, it just values differently. OPS of course is better, but if I were switching it would need to be to wOBA which appropriately weighs how a player gets on base correctly.

A single is worth marginally  more than a walk. The only real difference is a guy can score from 2nd or 3rd on a single which is reflected in RBIs anyway. Not counting walks seems criminal and often pushes up inferior hitters. QS vs Wins is a much different debate, I can see both having merit but both ultimately weak stats. I use to prefer QS but have come back to wins based on opener and bullpen usage. 

No walks leagues kill guys that get on base a lot, which is a real skill in baseball. Someone like Carlos Santana loses 50-75 AB a year to someone who doesn't walk. That adds up in any format.

I like QS over wins but I get the arguments on both sides. To me while quality start is definitely flawed its at least a definite standard whereas wins are highly variable. Also eliminates reliever wins which are pure luck.

Would love to see some sort of modified QS with tiers like: 5 IP, 2 ER; 6-7 IP, 3 ER; 8 IP, 4 ER. If you want to get rid of the opener factor then just change it to quality outings instead of quality starts and eliminate the starting component. Would make much more sense in today's game.

Burn me at the stake but I think the way to go is IP instead of wins or QS but have some sort of mechanism to limit starts. If you can figure out a way to limit streaming it makes the most sense to me , while efficiency is still rewarded in the ratio stats .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Burn me at the stake but I think the way to go is IP instead of wins or QS but have some sort of mechanism to limit starts. If you can figure out a way to limit streaming it makes the most sense to me , while efficiency is still rewarded in the ratio stats .

IP is definitely the most optimal, just seems like an impossible task to limit streaming.

We use Wins+QS as a cat instead of Wins or QS ... I guess we get the worst of both worlds

1 minute ago, jb_power said:

We use Wins+QS as a cat instead of Wins or QS ... I guess we get the worst of both worlds

Seems fine honestly. Might be better than wins or qs alone.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

No walks leagues kill guys that get on base a lot, which is a real skill in baseball. Someone like Carlos Santana loses 50-75 AB a year to someone who doesn't walk. That adds up in any format.

I like QS over wins but I get the arguments on both sides. To me while quality start is definitely flawed its at least a definite standard whereas wins are highly variable. Also eliminates reliever wins which are pure luck.

Would love to see some sort of modified QS with tiers like: 5 IP, 2 ER; 6-7 IP, 3 ER; 8 IP, 4 ER. If you want to get rid of the opener factor then just change it to quality outings instead of quality starts and eliminate the starting component. Would make much more sense in today's game.

There are tons of modified options available on onroto. In fact, the one you mention is there. Also includes (need not be the starter), so values guys on the Rays or whoever even if an opener is used.

People need to stop using espn and yahoo, who force you to use their categories. 

9 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Have thought about this and honestly don’t hate it. The elite guys will get both often, while some guys often get one or the other. Actually think using both would balance out the inconsistencies of each. 

If this topic is already being discussed and I just couldn't find the thread, please delete, but if not, im curious what some of you guys are doing?

For about the last decade we've run a 12 to 14 man h2h category league. We decided not to draft with the season in limbo early on but now that it looks like MLB will have a 10 week 60 game season, I need to get creative and figure out how I can structure a league with a short season. What are you guys doing? Post your guys ideas / league format here! 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, extmenace said:

If this topic is already being discussed and I just couldn't find the thread, please delete, but if not, im curious what some of you guys are doing?

For about the last decade we've run a 12 to 14 man h2h category league. We decided not to draft with the season in limbo early on but now that it looks like MLB will have a 10 week 60 game season, I need to get creative and figure out how I can structure a league with a short season. What are you guys doing? Post your guys ideas / league format here! 

Because of the short season I've read here that some h2h leagues have already switched over to roto for this season only.  That seems the easiest fix as it fixes any and all problems for this season with one lone mouse click.

And one lone mouse clicks re-sets to h2h next season if desired.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because of the short season I've read here that some h2h leagues have already switched over to roto for this season only.  That seems the easiest fix as it fixes any and all problems for this season with one lone mouse click.

And one lone mouse clicks re-sets to h2h next season if desired.

We are keeping our league H2H in a sense , but every week each team will face off against 2, or 3 opponents. We are doing it this way so that every team ends up playing every other team in the league once. In the end each team will have 17 regular season decisions instead of our normal format which is 22 weeks. Not bad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

We are keeping our league H2H in a sense , but every week each team will face off against 2, or 3 opponents. We are doing it this way so that every team ends up playing every other team in the league once. In the end each team will have 17 regular season decisions instead of our normal format which is 22 weeks. Not bad. 

What do you play on? Kinda want to do this for my league as well. 

3 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

What do you play on? Kinda want to do this for my league as well. 

cbssports , fantasy commissioner . 

• Like 1

Would like to hear other leagues changes but this what we are doing, 12 team roto keeper:

Reducing league fee by 65%

Will roll over contracts next year and up keeper count from 12 to an amount yet to be agreed upon-maybe 20- we draft 27

Reduce innings max to 550 and min to 450

Reduce games played max per position to 60

No penalty for last or 2nd to last.

Cancel our season if MLBs season is canceled or disrupted.

Still have to figure out trading. Do you keep trades as is if season canceled midway? Keeper league is tough. Might do no trades but unsure.

1 hour ago, treyjuice said:

cbssports , fantasy commissioner . 

It only works if you have premium? Is that even worth it? 

1 hour ago, Theoneupper said:

It only works if you have premium? Is that even worth it? 

That’s completely up to you but for us it is. We have been using the premium version for our keeper league for the last 20 years. It’s $150 Per season for it, and we have 18 owners so it’s less than 10 bucks a man. Plus our league is unique in its roster so we like the customization. Maybe they will be offering a discount this year or something if you are concerned about the price.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My first year being commissioner of a H2H 12 team 6 keeper League $250 buy in. What i proposed and most of the league members are fine with it is taking $20 out of this years league fee, and using it for this season. The rest will automatically be rolled over for next year. The 2020 draft will be the only thing used for keepers for 2021. All free agents that are picked up can’t be kept or drafted players that are dropped will have no keeper implications. I’m treating this like a mini game to hold us over until we can play competitively with no restrictions. This season won’t burn a year of keeper eligibility. Also no trades, this is as simple as i can make it because i don’t think this year should have any impact on the future. $240 prize pool, $160 to 1st, $80 to 2nd.

The reality is there will most likely be a decent amount of players and teams that get struck with coronavirus, as well as players that will sit out to protect their long term interest. I wouldn’t be comfortable paying anything more $20 given the circumstances. 

Edited by jay2491

20 hours ago, treyjuice said:

Are you keeping track manually or is this some kind of setting you can do? 

Posted (edited)

Right now, the best idea ive come up with was to set up two leagues. One league for the regular season and one for the post season. 

For the regular season league, we will run it as a 14 team roto league. Nothing too fancy....but maybe top 6 teams make playoffs. Since we typically run a categories h2h league, I'm thinking once the playoffs begin, we'll all switch to the second league and run our playoffs with our typical rules. Its a little annoying but for the regular season, everyone is on a level playing field....and for the playoffs, we can run the league exactly how we've been running it for years. Strategies are also a little different for team building but I think I like this.

Edited by extmenace

Kinda sucks. 30 team league we are playing our own division then one other "natural rival" from the other league. Six weeks of regular season then playoffs. 

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Kinda sucks. 30 team league we are playing our own division then one other "natural rival" from the other league. Six weeks of regular season then playoffs. 

Well you get 8 weeks if you switch over to roto for this season only.

Is anyone allowing trades in their keeper leagues? I am leaning towards not having them in the event MLB cancels the season early and those trades involving prospects for immediate help would only be helping the team getting the prospects. Any rules you are proposing if you do allow trades?

3 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Is anyone allowing trades in their keeper leagues? I am leaning towards not having them in the event MLB cancels the season early and those trades involving prospects for immediate help would only be helping the team getting the prospects. Any rules you are proposing if you do allow trades?

If it is a keeper league what is the problem?   But what is the problem in any format?  Let the owners manage their own teams and make that decision.  That's the whole point of fantasy baseball in the end.  That is what makes it fun.  YOU the owner of your team get to make decisions.  Not someone else like with your real life home town team.  Let the people play it make the decisions whether they are brilliant or dumb or whatever.   Their choice. 

And trades are the default in leagues so you would suddenly have to shut them off; not "allow" them to happen.  I'd assume any league that doesn't allow them the owners would be up in arms because trading is a big part of the fun in playing fantasy ball. 

I mean MLB is allowing them in real life and pushing their deadline back a month.  So maybe push the trade deadline back in your league as well to encourage trades.  But don't take that away suddenly and act like a nanny telling owners what risks/rewards they may or may not attempt for their teams.  If baseball shuts down early so be it.  It's a risk/reward thing for each owner to decide on.  Not any different really than what some real MLB GMs will have to figure out as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If it is a keeper league what is the problem?   But what is the problem in any format?  Let the owners manage their own teams and make that decision.  That's the whole point of fantasy baseball in the end.  That is what makes it fun.  YOU the owner of your team get to make decisions.  Not someone else like with your real life home town team.  Let the people play it make the decisions whether they are brilliant or dumb or whatever.   Their choice. 

And trades are the default in leagues so you would suddenly have to shut them off; not "allow" them to happen.  I'd assume any league that doesn't allow them the owners would be up in arms because trading is a big part of the fun in playing fantasy ball. 

I mean MLB is allowing them in real life and pushing their deadline back a month.  So maybe push the trade deadline back in your league as well to encourage trades.  But don't take that away suddenly and act like a nanny telling owners what risks/rewards they may or may not attempt for their teams.  If baseball shuts down early so be it.  It's a risk/reward thing for each owner to decide on.  Not any different really than what some real MLB GMs will have to figure out as well.

If MLB shuts down early or if there is a pause our league shuts down as well. The problem you could be making a trade expecting to finish a season and give up keepers and in return get someone that was suppose to help you win a championship that is no longer obtainable. So you basically traded valuable keepers for nothing.