DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2020 Outlook

9 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Where did I say they would have to let him go? I agree that tagging him would probably be the best move TN could make. Ensures that he stays in TN and avoid overpaying him long term. RBs just aren't worth that type of long term money/commitment IMO.

You mentioned Ten letting him go a few posts ago. Either way we agree best way for them to handle it.  On one hand I agree with all the Henry lovers he definitely deserves a big contract.  On other hand RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team and giving big money screws the team.  Tag him for 2 years he makes 30 to 35  mil then moves on.  Win/win for everybody.

8 hours ago, youngrice said:

You mentioned Ten letting him go a few posts ago. Either way we agree best way for them to handle it.  On one hand I agree with all the Henry lovers he definitely deserves a big contract.  On other hand RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team and giving big money screws the team.  Tag him for 2 years he makes 30 to 35  mil then moves on.  Win/win for everybody.

Which available RB would you sign to replace Henry in Tennessee?

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Which available RB would you sign to replace Henry in Tennessee?

I’m confused. Never said get rid of him. Once again not that hard. Franchise him twice then decide

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

I’m confused. Never said get rid of him. Once again not that hard. Franchise him twice then decide

On other hand RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team and giving big money screws the team

I understand you said to tag him twice but you said RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team. Let's say Tennessee wants to use the tag on Tannehill. Which available RB would Tennessee bring in to easily replace Henry?

41 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

On other hand RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team and giving big money screws the team

I understand you said to tag him twice but you said RB is the most replaceable starting skill position on the team. Let's say Tennessee wants to use the tag on Tannehill. Which available RB would Tennessee bring in to easily replace Henry?

First off tanne has as much chance to get franchises as u do as long as Henry isn’t signed. 
the draft. They can get a rb that would produce 65 to 70 percent of Henry’s numbers. At 10 percent of his contract. 
But once again I will say it’s a moot point he isn’t going anywhere. 
u seem to think Henry should get a huge contract from ten. Please give me a couple of examples where that turned out well for their team. Only one I can think of is ap and honestly his last couple of years it was a bad contract. 

Edited by youngrice

16 hours ago, youngrice said:

First off tanne has as much chance to get franchises as u do as long as Henry isn’t signed. 
the draft. They can get a rb that would produce 65 to 70 percent of Henry’s numbers. At 10 percent of his contract. 
But once again I will say it’s a moot point he isn’t going anywhere. 
u seem to think Henry should get a huge contract from ten. Please give me a couple of examples where that turned out well for their team. Only one I can think of is ap and honestly his last couple of years it was a bad contract. 

Kareem hunt could literally probably be gotten for pennies and produce 70% of what henry did for the titans last year. Deep rb draft class this year too even a 2nd rounder would be vastly cheaper than what henry will ask for. 

I think henry said the starting point for contract talks was Zeke's contract so itll be big. Back in the day that worked out well for the cowboys when they decided to pay emmitt smith. But honestly that's the only one I can really think of. All the teams that pay their backs big money usually dont win superbowls.

18 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Kareem hunt could literally probably be gotten for pennies and produce 70% of what henry did for the titans last year. Deep rb draft class this year too even a 2nd rounder would be vastly cheaper than what henry will ask for. 

I think henry said the starting point for contract talks was Zeke's contract so itll be big. Back in the day that worked out well for the cowboys when they decided to pay emmitt smith. But honestly that's the only one I can really think of. All the teams that pay their backs big money usually dont win superbowls.

I think RBs getting paid does cause a lot of their play to fall off. They protect their bodies more, don't take as many risks and are generally worried about themselves. Leveon Bell, Ezekial Elliot, David Johnson, are some recent examples. There are exceptions to every rule and those exceptions usually depend on that individual player. The reason I don't think Henrys production will fall off once he gets paid because he is very motivated to be the best teammate he can be. He doesn't want to let any of his teammates down and he has a real drive to win a championship. You have to be all in on this like that in order to not let the money make you lazy. 

Replacing Henry with another FA RB or a 2nd round draft pick and the Titans won't make the playoffs. Replacing 70% of Henrys production would be what? Right at 1,000 yards? That's not great. Tannehill would not be a major threat without 8 defenders in the box to stop Henry every play.

The way the Titans team is designed right now it would be terrible to move away from Henry and spend 2-3 years getting 70% of his production and missing the playoffs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I think RBs getting paid does cause a lot of their play to fall off. They protect their bodies more, don't take as many risks and are generally worried about themselves. Leveon Bell, Ezekial Elliot, David Johnson, are some recent examples. There are exceptions to every rule and those exceptions usually depend on that individual player. The reason I don't think Henrys production will fall off once he gets paid because he is very motivated to be the best teammate he can be. He doesn't want to let any of his teammates down and he has a real drive to win a championship. You have to be all in on this like that in order to not let the money make you lazy. 

Replacing Henry with another FA RB or a 2nd round draft pick and the Titans won't make the playoffs. Replacing 70% of Henrys production would be what? Right at 1,000 yards? That's not great. Tannehill would not be a major threat without 8 defenders in the box to stop Henry every play.

The way the Titans team is designed right now it would be terrible to move away from Henry and spend 2-3 years getting 70% of his production and missing the playoffs.

Agreed I think henry is a different type of man but RB is the most often injured position in football even beasts like henry can catch one.

But 70% of henry is close 1000 yards but that comes and 20% of Henry's value. Instead of giving henry 10 million a year like zeke you can give some other kid 2 million and go sign some other weak positions. I dont think tannehil is the answer he just makes the right read and hits open wrs unlike Mariota. He isnt doing pat mahomes or rodgers level precision plays so he needs a monster like henry to suck up the defense in the box. So I guess if yo dont believe in tannehil you sign henry and if you do ya let henry walk... personally I would love to see him in Baltimore.

3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

So I guess if yo dont believe in tannehil you sign henry and if you do ya let henry walk... personally I would love to see him in Baltimore.

I don’t understand how you reached this conclusion - at all.  The take-away point here is that Tannehill and Henry function best as a tandem.  Therefore, you either “believe” in them and keep both, or you don’t, in which case both become expendable.

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

I don’t understand how you reached this conclusion - at all.  The take-away point here is that Tannehill and Henry function best as a tandem.  Therefore, you either “believe” in them and keep both, or you don’t, in which case both become expendable.

Yes they work best as a tandem. But what qb doesnt play better with a dominant run game. The fear is that tannehil can only play good becuase of the dominant run game. If you feel that is true you sign henry and let tannehil walk becuase he is not the guy to lead you to the superbowl. 

But if the coaches feel that tannehil is the answer and they do not need to find or draft other qbs they should probably let henry walk because you can find value at that position cheaper than zeke prices which is what henry is asking and you can continue to fill out important positions with that money.

If the titans feel that both are essential theyll sign both but I just dont think both are that great. I think henry is that great. 

25 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Yes they work best as a tandem. But what qb doesnt play better with a dominant run game. The fear is that tannehil can only play good becuase of the dominant run game. If you feel that is true you sign henry and let tannehil walk becuase he is not the guy to lead you to the superbowl. 

But if the coaches feel that tannehil is the answer and they do not need to find or draft other qbs they should probably let henry walk because you can find value at that position cheaper than zeke prices which is what henry is asking and you can continue to fill out important positions with that money.

If the titans feel that both are essential theyll sign both but I just dont think both are that great. I think henry is that great. 

I don’t think Tannehill is “great” independent of a great running game.  But boy is he great when paired with Henry.  Jon Robinson must realize this - and they have cap space aplenty to sign both.  I think passing on either requires a pretty massive overhaul of the offensive scheme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I don’t think Tannehill is “great” independent of a great running game.  But boy is he great when paired with Henry.  Jon Robinson must realize this - and they have cap space aplenty to sign both.  I think passing on either requires a pretty massive overhaul of the offensive scheme.

This sounds good but if tannehil is dependent on a great run game then your championship window is only open as long as derrick henry lasts and we all kno the lifespan of an rb is short and the bigger backs tend to fall off a cliff even sooner. 

I think the smart move for the titans is to tag tannehil and draft his replacement and resign henry for a back loaded contract. But wtf do I know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

This sounds good but if tannehil is dependent on a great run game then your championship window is only open as long as derrick henry lasts and we all kno the lifespan of an rb is short and the bigger backs tend to fall off a cliff even sooner. 

I think the smart move for the titans is to tag tannehil and draft his replacement and resign henry for a back loaded contract. But wtf do I know.

They made it pretty far so yeah thats the logical move.

• Thanks 1

What's Henry's value in a trade?  I have him in one dynasty 16 player keeper league where I'm loaded with RB's (Henry, Kamara, Carson, Lindsey and Freeman) and can use a WR.  In another DYNASTY 16 keeper league I have Kelce and Kittle and was thinking of offering Kelce for him as I need help in RB.  I won the league with Freeman and Lindsey some way.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dumas said:

What's Henry's value in a trade?  I have him in one dynasty 16 player keeper league where I'm loaded with RB's (Henry, Kamara, Carson, Lindsey and Freeman) and can use a WR.  In another DYNASTY 16 keeper league I have Kelce and Kittle and was thinking of offering Kelce for him as I need help in RB.  I won the league with Freeman and Lindsey some way.

Trade Carson, Lindsay,and Freeman.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, Stonej14 said:

Wasn't that before the salary cap? Could have years mixed up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Wasn't that before the salary cap? Could have years mixed up.

Yes it was a year early in 93(the cap came in 94).  But if I remember correctly teams knew the cap was coming the next year.

Posted (edited)

I know this probably deserves its own thread but I thought that us Derrick Henry fanatics would appreciate this guy and he could be the solution to the titans problems

truly interested in what @DerrickHenrysCleats thinks about him

He has nearly the same exact metrics as King Henry.. except he is bigger and had a better 40 time. It’s a deep RB class this year and he is a true pounder that only fits on a hand full of teams now. Titans could possibly get him in the 3rd round or later franchise tag Henry and see if this kid has the chops to replace him for half the price and sign Tannehill long term... or Is my line of thinking just ludicrous?

(i would like to say that just becuase his 40 is better than Henry’s I wouldn’t say he is faster than Henry who Has elite breakaway speed.)

Edited by Stonej14

38 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I know this probably deserves its own thread but I thought that us Derrick Henry fanatics would appreciate this guy and he could be the solution to the titans problems

truly interested in what @DerrickHenrysCleats thinks about him

He has nearly the same exact metrics as King Henry.. except he is bigger and had a better 40 time. It’s a deep RB class this year and he is a true pounder that only fits on a hand full of teams now. Titans could possibly get him in the 3rd round or later franchise tag Henry and see if this kid has the chops to replace him for half the price and sign Tannehill long term... or Is my line of thinking just ludicrous?

(i would like to say that just becuase his 40 is better than Henry’s I wouldn’t say he is faster than Henry who Has elite breakaway speed.)

How is his stiff arm?

Lol, just kidding. The kid is a Gruden grinder type of guy. He was a workhorse back at Boston College. 

I played college fantasy football and Dillon was elite. Breakaway runs, effective at the goal line. The fact he tested so similar to Henry is not surprising at all.

Tennessee is set up to run a certain style of offense, heavy run and playaction and Dillon certainly fits that mold but I'm not sure Tennessee would use the draft capital that it would take to get Dillon. I think he is the 2nd best RB in the draft and will be a 2nd round pick. Titans have to figure out their RT situation with Conklin being a FA. If they reach a situation where they tag Henry they might reach for Dillon since he fits their offense but I think it's more likely they get a deal done with Henry. Not sure how Tom Brady is going to fit into the situation if the Titans somehow land him.

Not sure how it will shake out but I'd think whoever drafts AJ Dillon will think exactly what you said, that they will hope his game mirrors that of Henry and his combine performance certainly backs that up.

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

played college fantasy football and Dillon was elite. Breakaway runs, effective at the goal line. The fact he tested so similar to Henry is not surprising at all.

Tennessee is set up to run a certain style of offense, heavy run and playaction and Dillon certainly fits that mold but I'm not sure Tennessee would use the draft capital that it would take to get Dillon. I think he is the 2nd best RB in the draft and will be a 2nd round pick. Titans have to figure out their RT situation with Conklin being a FA. If they reach a situation where they tag Henry they might reach for Dillon since he fits their offense but I think it's more likely they get a deal done with Henry. Not sure how Tom Brady is going to fit into the situation if the Titans somehow land him.

Not sure how it will shake out but I'd think whoever drafts AJ Dillon will think exactly what you said, that they will hope his game mirrors that of Henry and his combine performance certainly backs that up.

Tennessee should just draft him, sign Henry, and put a Mobile guard at fullback and run the wing T. I’d watch every snap

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:51 PM, Stonej14 said:

The titans believe they are one play away from the SB so it makes zero sense to make too many moves except some minor tweaks wherever they feel they are weakest on offense/defense/special teams.

I think both Henry's and Tannehills agents know this and are going to get some serious paydays in whatever form they can structure it

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

The titans believe they are one play away from the SB so it makes zero sense to make too many moves except some minor tweaks wherever they feel they are weakest on offense/defense/special teams.

I think both Henry's and Tannehills agents know this and are going to get some serious paydays in whatever form they can structure it

one play? Didn’t they lose by like 10 points in the Championship round. That’s at Absolute bare minimum 3 plays. 

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, Stonej14 said:

one play? Didn’t they lose by like 10 points in the Championship round. That’s at Absolute bare minimum 3 plays. 

What you can't score 10 points on one play?? I'm shocked.