B&F

Alex Verdugo 2020 Outlook

Headed to Beantown in the Betts traded.

Not sure how to value him.  Doesn't really excel in any category.  Sophomore slump to be considered.

I can see him winning a batting title eventually.  Just not sure it is this season.

Well sophomore slumps are usually caused by the pitchers he has been facing figuring him out some.  He is switching leagues so maybe his sophomore year will be delayed because he is a freshman in the AL.

As I mentioned in the off season thread, i think this is a great landing spot for him. Left handed, spray hitter (2019: 37.7% pull / 38.0% cent / 24.3% opp)  , who can hit LHP (2019: .843OPS in 109PAs)..... that plays well anywhere, but especially in Fenway.

I'll be buying when/where I can. 

• Like 5

Andrew Benintendi without the ridiculous price. Not a ton of upside but could deliver a ton of RBI and R if they give him a nice lineup spot.

I think it’s Justin Mason from Pitcher List that has mentioned a few times on the Sleeper and the Bust that he’s heard chatter about concerns about Verdugo in dynasty formats (based on something other than ability). Looks like Dodgers sold high. 

14 minutes ago, blink said:

I think it’s Justin Mason from Pitcher List that has mentioned a few times on the Sleeper and the Bust that he’s heard chatter about concerns about Verdugo in dynasty formats (based on something other than ability). Looks like Dodgers sold high. 

Just because he's the MLB player that's most likely to be a Juggalo doesn't mean there should be concerns about his long term value 

Image result for alex verdugo hair

• Haha 6

I just don’t see a lot to like about Verdugo. However, if you put together a team with some questionable BAs, he could be a guy who can help in that cat without killing you in other cats. He isn’t going to light up any one category, but I don’t think he hurt to badly in any of them. Still not a big fan, though. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

How has no one mentioned his back issue yet?

We don't care about him either way?

2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

How has no one mentioned his back issue yet?

The Sox finished the medicals and held up the trade because of Brusdar.  Vedugo and his back passed just fine.

• Like 1

so what ... when healthy he's medicore ... the Red Sox got taken'

• Like 1

The trade probably helps his fantasy value a little bit, with a clear path to playing time. JD Martinez will be a good guy for him to learn from about hitting also. Here's hoping.

57 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Boring player fantasy wise 

youngster with 20/80/10/.300 ceiling .. kinda like to think about that as a Sox fan.

floor of .. well.. don't wanna think about that as a Sox fan.

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Boring player fantasy wise 

How so?  Nearly a .300 hitter with similar skills to McNeil except for power. You can argue that there isn't much difference between him and Brantley if Verdugo gets a full season of ABs and that's without any growth.  My only concern is with the back and that he's not doing baseball activities yet. The fact that the Sox weren't concerned helps with that as well as prove they were completely full of %$#& in breaking the original deal for Graterol's health. But I digress..

50 minutes ago, Magoo said:

How so?  Nearly a .300 hitter with similar skills to McNeil except for power. You can argue that there isn't much difference between him and Brantley if Verdugo gets a full season of ABs and that's without any growth.  My only concern is with the back and that he's not doing baseball activities yet. The fact that the Sox weren't concerned helps with that as well as prove they were completely full of %$#& in breaking the original deal for Graterol's health. But I digress..

In deep leagues he’s interesting. 10 Teamers I don’t see the appeal. Looks like a .300/20/10 guy if everything goes great but probably more like .285/15/5... mehh. Not enough juice for me. Better real life player than fantasy

Edited by BxBOMBERs28

11 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

In deep leagues he’s interesting. 10 Teamers I don’t see the appeal. Looks like a .300/20/10 guy if everything goes great but probably more like .285/15/5... mehh. Not enough juice for me. Better real life player than fantasy

Agreed, very league dependent but could help in OBP leagues 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

I don't see anyone's appeal in a very small 10 teamer other than the top stars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, dfstout said:

Verdugo unleashed!!! Can't wait...draft draft draft...

I'm with you here. He's going to feast in AL small parks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Verdugo going to leadoff in Boston?

Very possible. 

1 Verdugo

2 Bogaerts

3 Devers

4 JDM

5 Benintendo

... But i wouldn't be surprised if Verdugo and Beni were flipped.

This to me seems reasonable with Betts RH bat no longer at the top. Last year when he led off they went Beni/Devers in the 2 and Boggy in the 3. 

Tremendous run scoring value if he leads off especially with his discipline and hitting ability.

• Like 1

I know 2019 was really bad for Benintendi, but it seems kind of reactionary to be moving him out of the leadoff spot based on a down year.  Isn't what you want Verdugo to be what Benintendi is already?  Obviously if Benintendi is putting up another 100 wRC+ campaign you make that move, but doing it to start the season seems pretty short-sighted.

• Like 1