B&F

Alex Verdugo 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)

And maybe he's simply Alien from Spring Break...

tenor.gif?itemid=5151142

dodgers-nationals-baseball-washington-us

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So what's everyone opinion on Verdugo? I feel like in January he was a pretty hyped, then when word came out that he had a bad back (and would miss time) he lost some of the luster. Now that's he's healthy how to do we feel? Will he play every day? Will he produce enough to merit consideration in shallower leagues with five OFs? 

45 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So what's everyone opinion on Verdugo? I feel like in January he was a pretty hyped, then when word came out that he had a bad back (and would miss time) he lost some of the luster. Now that's he's healthy how to do we feel? Will he play every day? Will he produce enough to merit consideration in shallower leagues with five OFs? 

He needs to play everyday or move higher up in the order. 

Too early to conclude anything for sure but so far the hit tool seems to be legit.

Keep an eye on his GB% because his breakout hinges on him hitting more than 20 HR (162 game pace). He’s not gonna do that with his batted ball profile in MLB so far 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He is already proving a huge energy spark for the team.  A larger than life energizer bunny with a good sense of humor off to a good start.  Like a lot of teams these days they have 4 legit outfielders now so Pillar will  steal some ABs from the other three but injuries happen and Jackie's bat will cool off so Verdugo should get near everyday playing time especially given his fast start.  Next year with JBJ's contract up he could get even more.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 7/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is already proving a huge energy spark for the team.  A larger than life energizer bunny with a good sense of humor off to a good start.  Like a lot of teams these days they have 4 legit outfielders now so Pillar will  steal some ABs from the other three but injuries happen and Jackie's bat will cool off so Verdugo should get near everyday playing time especially given his fast start.  Next year with JBJ's contract up he could get even more.

Verdugo might be ownable in an improv fantasy draft league, but unfortunately he's not (yet) in a baseball league. Lots of zeros in his stat column...

2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Verdugo might be ownable in an improv fantasy draft league, but unfortunately he's not (yet) in a baseball league. Lots of zeros in his stat column...

Only if you play in a league of 8 teams or less.  And who does that here.

2 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You own Verdugo in a roto league to boost your team’s BA, and he allows you to take a BA risk or two. The counting numbers won’t be high, but that’s not his purpose in roster construction. He’s owned and started in every 12+ teamer I’m in, all starting 5 OFs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

You own Verdugo in a roto league to boost your team’s BA, and he allows you to take a BA risk or two. The counting numbers won’t be high, but that’s not his purpose in roster construction. He’s owned and started in every 12+ teamer I’m in, all starting 5 OFs. 

I happily dumped him for Wil Meyers in a 10 team league with 5 OFs. I mean, it's not like he's going to hit .330. Batting close to .300 without doing much else makes it hard to justify a roster spot in a 10 team league. Also, people don't want to admit it, but the Boston lineup is not good. 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I happily dumped him for Wil Meyers in a 10 team league with 5 OFs. I mean, it's not like he's going to hit .330. Batting close to .300 without doing much else makes it hard to justify a roster spot in a 10 team league. Also, people don't want to admit it, but the Boston lineup is not good. 

Yeah.  Xander, Devers, JD, Vasquez, Moreland.  What a poor offense.  LOL.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah.  Xander, Devers, JD, Vasquez, Moreland.  What a poor offense.  LOL.

The fact that you included Vazquez and Moreland is hysterical. 

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

The fact that you included Vazquez and Moreland is hysterical. 

What do you have against Vasquez?  A top 5 catcher not please you enough? 

And Moreland is platoon but strong side and really good against righties.  Don't put him into your fantasy line-up against lefties when he sits and you will get mucho good stats from him without any downside a southpaw split would give you. 

Verdugo's past stats imply a possible Dwight Evans career with around 20 homers plus a season and good BA and decent OBP.  I'll take that any day.   Well if I could.  No one in my leagues is willing to even start trade negotiations for him since he is valued too highly.

Not sure the offense is the issue for the Red Sox. Might not be the best lineup they've put out over the last decade, but it's certainly above average. 

Verdugo has the upside to be a 300 hitter with 20-25 bombs, which is pretty valuable, but could also feel Markakis like many seasons, which makes him a much better real life player than fantasy. 

• Like 1

What’s everyone doing with this guy? I don’t want to make this a bench discussion but it’s getting harder to roster him when he’s either being benched or putting up nothing on the stat sheet.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, coleporter said:

Bet the Sox move hime

Bet they don't.  He is their best OF option moving forward and still under team control.  It is baseball.  It is called a slump.

They would trade Moreland and JBJ in a heartbeat since they are in their last year of their contracts and this is a "bridge" year aka the team -- especially the pitching --  stinks and they aren't going anywhere.  But not a young Verdugo.  No way no how.  He is part of their re-build.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

What’s everyone doing with this guy? I don’t want to make this a bench discussion but it’s getting harder to roster him when he’s either being benched or putting up nothing on the stat sheet.  

Still keeping him.  Obviously he's not doing what is expected of him so far, but unfortunately this is a season where not a whole lot is going as expected.  He's a good hitter, so he has to come around at some point.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bet they don't.  He is their best OF option moving forward and still under team control.  It is baseball.  It is called a slump.

They would trade Moreland and JBJ in a heartbeat since they are in their last year of their contracts and this is a "bridge" year aka the team -- especially the pitching --  stinks and they aren't going anywhere.  But not a young Verdugo.  No way no how.  He is part of their re-build.

Fantasy wise he sucks. A complete black hole .. 2 R’s 0 HR & RBI’s 231 BA .. dropped for Tim Lopes 12 team rotisserie 5OF 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think being a Red Sox fan might cloud your judgement a bit. It's entirely possible that Alex Verdugo is just not good. It's not like he has a long proven track record of producing. The same can be said for Benintendi. If you want to hold onto those players and hope they turn things around that's fine, but it's absolutely not a given. I drafted Verdugo and dropped him for Kyle Lewis and haven't regretted it for a minute. 

Posted (edited)

Pitchers starting to get excellently executed by the executioner!!! Talks about him leading off soon.

Edited by mrfrood

2 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Pitchers starting to get excellently executed by the executioner!!! Talks about him leading off soon.

source?

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

source?

His BSPN player page. Plus Benintendi bringing the suck.