Members_Only_76

Joc Pederson 2020 Outlook

Let's put it this way, Schwarber basically had as many plate appearances in 2019 (124) vs LHP as Joc has had in the last 2 years combined (105).

I think Maddon will give him plenty of rope to show what he's capable of. 

Career .572 OPS vs. lefties entering his age 28 season - I think the ship has sailed on him ever being full-time. Even if the Angels play him against lefties, fantasy owners should not.

But he's great as a platoon bat who should mash righties. Adell's eventual arrival is of some concern but Justin Upton may be on his last legs. I'd expect him to continue to get 500 or so PA per season.

Strict platoon players usually come at a discount, and Joc's ADP of around 190 looks real nice as long as your league has daily changes and enough bench spots to take advantage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Career .572 OPS vs. lefties entering his age 28 season - I think the ship has sailed on him ever being full-time. Even if the Angels play him against lefties, fantasy owners should not.

But he's great as a platoon bat who should mash righties. Adell's eventual arrival is of some concern but Justin Upton may be on his last legs. I'd expect him to continue to get 500 or so PA per season.

Strict platoon players usually come at a discount, and Joc's ADP of around 190 looks real nice as long as your league has daily changes and enough bench spots to take advantage.

Exactly, if you just start him vs righties, he can help...Also much better is OBP and OPS leagues like mine 

Yeah...Feels like he's going to be a part-time player, especially with Upton, Trout, Fletcher and Goodwin there.

I'm going to guess we'll be looking at a typical 300 AB season for Joc, primarily sitting vs lefties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve9347 said:

How does this impact Adell’s potential call up?

On the surface maybe delays from April 20 to June assuming he hits? I personally think when Adell is ready he’ll get a shot. Joc can DH some days and I highly doubt Upton can stay healthy playing every day. Angels aren’t messing around this year. Buy the dip

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Wish he’d be given a legit shot at everyday ab’s 

He’s one of the worst in the league against LHP and has been in the league for what 5-6 years now? He is who is he is.

2 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Would think he will get a good number of 1st base starts too

No chance. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse defensive 1B.

9 hours ago, Magoo said:

He’s one of the worst in the league against LHP and has been in the league for what 5-6 years now? He is who is he is.

I get it but my thing is how can you expect young players to improve/develop if they only see limited action?

13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I get it but my thing is how can you expect young players to improve/develop if they only see limited action?

He’s not really young at this point at least MLB experience wise and has been given plenty of chances already.

36 minutes ago, Magoo said:

He’s not really young at this point at least MLB experience wise and has been given plenty of chances already.

He was a full time player at one point? Didn’t know that. Thought the Dodgers had always platooned him for some reason. My bad. 

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

He has had less than 400 PA’s against lefties in his career. I disagree that that is plenty of chances.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

He has had less than 400 PA’s against lefties in his career. I disagree that that is plenty of chances.

especially when broken up randomly over 5 years, as opposed to getting 400 PAs strung together over 110 consecutive games for example. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

especially when broken up randomly over 5 years, as opposed to getting 400 PAs strung together over 110 consecutive games for example. 

All fair points. The problem is that neither the the Angels nor any good team has an incentive to let him figure it out when there is nothing to suggest he’ll suddenly improve..  Goody hits lefties better, Fletcher is an better option against lefties , and if Adell comes up letting him platoon with Joc would be the most likely scenario at first.

If Joc were on the Orioles or Pirates? Then I’d agree from a why not perspective. Until then, he’s given absolutely no indication that will get better in the near term and thus the only people clamoring for it are fantasy baseball degens like us who don’t care about teams winning.

• Like 2

Roberts announced today that the plan is for Joc to be the strong side of the LF platoon with Pollock. If he stays with LAD, or gets traded still, I think he’s going to be a solid value in 2020.

A repeat of last year (.250/36hr) is definitely doable and he could even improve on that at 27. Doubt he’s going to see increased time v LHP but I’m fine with that for his current cost.

If Dave Roberts wasn't a Boston hero I'd need someone to hold me back.

50 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Is Joc expected to get full-time ABs this season?  

Vs RHP he should, he's a career .190 with a 32% k rate over 337 at bats, compare that to this 1703 at bats vs RHP it is clear the Dodgers don't want to use him vs lefties unless forced to.

Will he be getting full-time at bats going forward?  Looks like he's been playing full-time so far this season.