Espoiral

Juan Hernangomez 2019-2020 Outlook

New starting PF in Min. RoCo, KBD and Vonleh out. Vanderbilt won't be a factor.

What are we expecting from him? Threes, boards with a sprinkle of stocks?

Edited by Espoiral

Just now, Jessie said:

Is he a pickup?

He and Beasley are pickups based on what we know so far.

What's the noiseĀ about this dude? What's his ceiling? According to his recent games, doesn't seem that impressive.

as long as wiggins and KAT are playing hell just be a low end PF stats type guy 10-12/5 with some threes and a few defensive stats

Yā€™all underestimating the opportunity he could possibly get. Great rebounder and he can lights out from deep. I think thereā€™s something definitely worth a look.Ā 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

Yā€™all underestimating the opportunity he could possibly get. Great rebounder and he can lights out from deep. I think thereā€™s something definitely worth a look.Ā 

Maybe.. but I don't like what I see in his per36 stats. Stocks are low, rebounds are average, 3s are average and scoring sucks. If someone can't even look good with per36 stats, I usually avoid. Covington is essentially better than him in all categories yet heĀ couldn't even average over 30mpg. So I don't think Juan will either.

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

Maybe.. but I don't like what I see in his per36 stats. Stocks are low, rebounds are average, 3s are average and scoring sucks. If someone can't even look good with per36 stats, I usually avoid. Covington is essentially better than him in all categories yet heĀ couldn't even average over 30mpg. So I don't think Juan will either.

To be fair his low per 36s are plagued with DNPs and spot minutes in a very crowded Denver rotationĀ so it's hard to get a read.

He's never had this type of opportunity before, the minutes are wide open, why not? I don't see anyone else who could play PF on the teamĀ honestly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

Maybe.. but I don't like what I see in his per36 stats. Stocks are low, rebounds are average, 3s are average and scoring sucks. Covington is essentially better than him in all categories yet heĀ couldn't even average over 30mpg. So I don't think Juan will either.

He really never fit in with what Denver did and if you isolate his skill set even before the draft his rebounding and shooting stands out. Heā€™s aĀ better shooter than Covington and has never gotten the opportunity to show it. I think thereā€™s enough here to warrant a look. No one else to play those pf minutes

21 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Iā€™ll let the other owners waste an add. Almost 36 hours left.

I have 5 adds. I don't have 5 spots for new players to be added. You add now and then if someone better comes you make the switch.Ā 

• Like 1

adding him based on that mini-tear he went on when he was starting with harris, barton, and millsap all out last year. Approximately same depth around him now.

1 minute ago, HerrMcKenzie said:

Any chance he plays tonight against Atlanta?Ā 

No, everyone who was traded will have to pass their physical first.

Ā 

Juancho pick him up already? Quit typing and run to get him. Juancho regret it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hernaju01/splits/2019

Ā 

Last year, in games with 30 min+ (14 total games), he was averaging 13.6 on 7.2 reb on 53% shooting, with 2.6 FTM, 2.1 threes made (on 45% shooting) and is an 86% free throw shooter.

By the way, Nuggets last year ran a bottom 5 team in pace, it's why per36 is a stupid metric to measure him in, the guy needs to operate in an up-tempo offense. Minnesota is 7th in pace, they love shooting 3s, they just suck at making them. Napier, Culver, Wiggins, Covington were all below 35%, Hernangomez when he's got the opportunity has proven to be high efficiency 3 point shooter. The Bjelica comparisons are valid, but with even more shots due to a pacey offense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worldclass said:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hernaju01/splits/2019

Ā 

Last year, in games with 30 min+ (14 total games), he was averaging 13.6 on 7.2 reb on 53% shooting, with 2.6 FTM, 2.1 threes made (on 45% shooting) and is an 86% free throw shooter.

By the way, Nuggets last year ran a bottom 5 team in pace, it's why per36 is a stupid metric to measure him in, the guy needs to operate in an up-tempo offense. Minnesota is 7th in pace, they love shooting 3s, they just suck at making them. Napier, Culver, Wiggins, Covington were all below 35%, Hernangomez when he's got the opportunity has proven to be high efficiency 3 point shooter. The Bjelica comparisons are valid, but with even more shots due to a pacey offense.

Even if you include games between 20 and 29 minutes, he hovers around 11 pts, 6 reb, 2 3pm at 47 %. Should still be servicable.

A 3 pt shooting big who plays no defense. In 25 starts last year he put up .5 stls and .4 blks. The rebounds were nice, but can he grab those boards with Towns there? Nothing special here. Only an add if youre desperate for threes or are in a deep league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1