Sign in to follow this  
Sidearmer

David Price 2020 Outlook

16 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Lets ignore 99 innings and focus on 12... THAT'S silly. 

Let's ignore the most recent 26 innings in the '18 playoffs with BOS with a 3.46 ERA and 23 K where he clinched Game 5 of the ALCS against Verlander, won Game 2 of the WS vs Ryu, and clinched the WS in Game 5 vs Kershaw. 

His performance in the WS was a great step up but if you think is absolves him off an entire career and tumultuous 4 years in Boston you are kidding yourself.

I didn't say it absolves him of his previous struggles in the playoffs. My point is that it absolves him of being called a "mental midget". 

Anyone remotely paying attention to price in Boston will tell you he's been a disaster. It's the reason they are trading him... 3.99 era in 230 innings, 3.32 in 74 innings (moved to bullpen that year), 3.58 in 172, 4.28 in 107

He started 98 of the 103 games he pitched in so I'm not sure why you think it's relevant that you point out the 5 times he pitched out of the pen. Also, how are those ERAs a "disaster"? He posted WARs of 3.0, 1.6, 4.4, 1.8 over 4 seasons.

His time is Boston was horrendous, which is why they are paying $16 MM per year for him to play somewhere else.

Again, he didn't live up to what most fans hoped for performance-wise but he did come to BOS entering his age 30 season and still went 46-24, 3.84 ERA (1.18 ERA+) and 609 K's over 588 innings. I don't know how you can call that horrendous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Let's ignore the most recent 26 innings in the '18 playoffs with BOS with a 3.46 ERA and 23 K where he clinched Game 5 of the ALCS against Verlander, won Game 2 of the WS vs Ryu, and clinched the WS in Game 5 vs Kershaw. 

I didn't say it absolves him of his previous struggles in the playoffs. My point is that it absolves him of being called a "mental midget". 

He started 98 of the 103 games he pitched in so I'm not sure why you think it's relevant that you point out the 5 times he pitched out of the pen. Also, how are those ERAs a "disaster"? He posted WARs of 3.0, 1.6, 4.4, 1.8 over 4 seasons.

Again, he didn't live up to what most fans hoped for performance-wise but he did come to BOS entering his age 30 season and still went 46-24, 3.84 ERA (1.18 ERA+) and 609 K's over 588 innings. I don't know how you can call that horrendous.

He was a Cy Young caliber pitcher that became the highest paid player and never delivered anywhere near that level. He was a run of the mill mid-rotation starter, often injured, and major distraction the team.

I mentioned he moved to the bullpen in 2017 because he did. He started 16 and then moved to the bullpen and when they made the playoffs that year their $30 Million Ace was nothing more than a bullpen arm as the Sox trotted out Drew Pomeranz in his place.

They made him the highest paid pitcher in the league and got this in return:

3.98 era, 230 ip

3.38 era 74 ip, moved to bullpen

3.58 era, 176 ip

4.28 era, 107 ip

To make matters worse he was never even the best starting pitcher on his own team at any point. 

He's been such a disaster the team is literally paying him to play for someone else lmao

The guy was fighting with broadcasters, complaining about not being able to pitch will because the grass was cut, he absolutely melted in Boston.

It seems to me you are just so far removed from his situation in Boston and you gloss over a few recent starts looking back and take issue with him being the mental midget he has been because you haven't paid any attention to the situation.

Regardless... This is totally unproductive for his 2020 outlook where Boston is paying for him to pitch for LA, literally one of the worst contracts ever signed.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

To make matters worse he was never even the best starting pitcher on his own team at any point. 

Was the best pitcher on the Rays for a couple years so he has that to be proud of i suppose hah

• Haha 1

"Anyone even remotely paying attention" (a presumptuous way to present what is simply just your opinion) knows that the Sox don't win that 2018 WS title without Price.

Edited by OaksterDan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I'm not saying you're right or wrong.  Just saying it's a weird flex to present an opinion as "this is how I AND EVERYBODY ELSE EVER WHO HAS A BRAIN feels about this subject" when really you only speak for yourself.  Projecting your opinion onto others undermines your whole point, especially as there may be evidence that you are incorrect that is easily accessed by others on the internet.

• Like 2

Not worth 30M? Sure, he did not live up to what the team invested him. He also missed a lot of time. Which hurt the investment.

Pre Boston: 3.09 ERA 126 ERA+  (Ages 22-29)

Career in Boston: 3.88 ERA 118 ERA+ (Ages 30-33)

He pitched the majority of his career in pitcher's parks in his 20's. He was signing a deal to be in a hitters park and Rob Manfred's first stage of juiced balls in the 2nd half of 2016. It's still a decline, even within those context. Just not as huge as the ERA difference makes it appear.

They paid him to go away because of their luxury tax situation. So they saved way more then 16M when considering luxuray tax $$$

They were only able to pull off this deal because Price is a good pitcher. The only choice made was favoring Sale over Price. Dumping any of their other overpaid contracts like Eovaldi was never in the cards here.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Not worth 30M? Sure, he did not live up to what the team invested him

I'd argue pitching well in the World Series and winning a championship justified the entire deal completely. You have to overpay some free agents to win a championship in almost every situation, so if you do that and they contribute meaningfully to a championship...blank check for me. Obviously without the ring, this looks different and a lot of winning a championship is also being hot and some luck.

• Like 2

As someone who lives in Boston (not a die-hard Sox fan), I'm so happy to see Price go. I've grown heavy disdain for him ever since the Eck-airplane incident. He's just a big-mouth who was good when he was young. Price just couldn't hack it in Boston.

• Haha 1

i love that everyone is down on Price ... give me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jb_power said:

i love that everyone is down on Price ... give me

Yes, this is how I see it as well

It’s going to be a huge bump for him to play in LA.  His fastball may have slowed down but his change up is as effective as ever and his K rate actually jumped a bit.

He is just one year removed from a very good season and now gets a pitcher and a more spacious ballpark.  Needs to stay healthy.

very underrated asset.

• Like 4

Interesting. I thought I saw something that his walk rate in the stretch was half his windup walk rate. 

His ADP isn’t too high.  People not really buying into him.

Might be some value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Might be some value.

I like him where he is going: IMO he is going to have a ton of value at his ADP

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I like him where he is going: IMO he is going to have a ton of value at his ADP

I agree. He's a target of mine with his adp being at 155 on fantasypros. That's around guys like Paxton, Minor, Boyd, Urias, Manaea, and Marquez. I think I'd rather own Price over all those guys. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, B&F said:

Might be some value.

Oh, there's a lot of value. The shocking number people who hate players getting paid and apply their hate to fantasy won't draft him.

• Like 4

I certainly don't like what Price did to Eck but it had nothing to do with anything Eck said about Price. Eck had criticized a younger player (fine, he's paid to do that) and Price thought he would take it upon himself to stick up for his teammate who wasn't in a position to stick up for himself. Anyone that knows what really went on knows that Price was considered an excellent teammate by all and no one inside the clubhouse ever had anything bad to say about him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I certainly don't like what Price did to Eck but it had nothing to do with anything Eck said about Price. Eck had criticized a younger player (fine, he's paid to do that) and Price thought he would take it upon himself to stick up for his teammate who wasn't in a position to stick up for himself. Anyone that knows what really went on knows that Price was considered an excellent teammate by all and no one inside the clubhouse ever had anything bad to say about him.

It’s sad that he was so revered by his teammates after setting such a bad example for the younger guys.  I think the Globe reporter had it right when he called Price “a poison.”

• Like 2

If you grew up reading the Boston Globe you'd know that plenty of poison comes out of there too.  They have frequently been used as a mouthpiece for Boston management to slam players or managers on their way out the door.  Basically Price didn't give rimjobs to the right reporters (or Eck, who is beloved in the Boston media because he provided them with plenty of fodder over the years) and they ran him out of town.  Eck is a clown and a poison himself. 

In closing, devaluing Price because he wasn't nice to the reporter you like is definitely a sound fantasy baseball strategy - feel free to allow him to drop to the savvier owners in your league.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

If you grew up reading the Boston Globe you'd know that plenty of poison comes out of there too.  They have frequently been used as a mouthpiece for Boston management to slam players or managers on their way out the door.  Basically Price didn't give rimjobs to the right reporters (or Eck, who is beloved in the Boston media because he provided them with plenty of fodder over the years) and they ran him out of town.  Eck is a clown and a poison himself. 

In closing, devaluing Price because he wasn't nice to the reporter you like is definitely a sound fantasy baseball strategy - feel free to allow him to drop to the savvier owners in your league.  

Majority of Boston fans def were on team Eck in that battle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

No doubt - seems similar to the NY media.  That said, I’ll love him in drafts this year.

Come on down and capitalize on a bargain of a price on David Price.

• Like 1