affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Report: Cardinals releasing him. 
 

The dead money is crazy something like 18m and was the reason I did not expect them to do this. 

Edited by affliction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoku808pc said:

Hoping Bruce Arians picks him up!!!

Think he could be a great fit in TB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, affliction said:

Report: Cardinals releasing him. 
 

The dead money is crazy something like 18m and was the reason I did not expect them to do this. 

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, affliction said:

Report: Cardinals releasing him. 
 

The dead money is crazy something like 18m and was the reason I did not expect them to do this. 

 

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Source?


10404.jpg

ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss believes the team could release David Johnson this offseason.

The Cardinals will have to swallow a significant amount of money in order to make that happen, however. With the CBA expiring, there is no such thing as post-June 1 cuts as we stand here on February 5. Therefore, teams cannot push cap charges into the future. Releasing Johnson would create $18.3 million in dead money. Johnson turned 28 in December and dealt with various ailments this past season while also not fitting seamlessly into coach Kliff Kingsbury's system. There likely won't be a trade market for him.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
Feb 5, 2020, 11:07PM ET
  • Report reads "could" be released, so it's not a given. That said, I think anyone that saw how much better Drake was in that same offense realizes the DJ's days in 'Zona are likely numbered. Drake is also a UFA, so there's that. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.   
Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Corleone said:

The only thing I see for this is an article in which one writer made a "bold prediction" for the 2020 season 🙄

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/02/arizona-cardinals-likely-cut-david-johnson/

How "Heavy.com" took a bold prediction over to "likely to release" is pretty questionable to say the least.

Exactly - I thought I missed something apart from a beat writer’s surmise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No shot they just cut him and eat that cap hit. Trade or keep as a highly expensive backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

No shot they just cut him and eat that cap hit. Trade or keep as a highly expensive backup.

Nobody's trading for him unless he takes a pay cut or Zona offers up a Osweiler type deal to a team to take him.  It probably won't happen but tampa does have the second most cap space next year.  So maybe arians takes they chance if they can get a good pick for taking his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow what a fall from grace - not too long ago he was the #1 RB in football.....more reason to not overpay for RBs in the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

wow what a fall from grace - not too long ago he was the #1 RB in football.....more reason to not overpay for RBs in the NFL.  

They ran him into the ground, more reason why top NFL running backs are realizing they need to get paid what they are worth early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wholeeoh said:

They ran him into the ground, more reason why top NFL running backs are realizing they need to get paid what they are worth early.

Not disagreeing about why RB believe they need to get paid.  But Johnson wasn't really run into the ground.   He had the 293 carry season, then missed the next with the wrist , then 258.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Not disagreeing about why RB believe they need to get paid.  But Johnson wasn't really run into the ground.   He had the 293 carry season, then missed the next with the wrist , then 258.   

 

That 2018 season was him endlessly running up the middle against stacked boxes. Can't imagine how many hits he took.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason I can't stand ESPN and laugh at people who take anything they SPECULATE as gospel.

ESPN reporter speculates that he BELIEVES the Cardinals COULD release David Johnson. People then pass it along as foregone conclusion because they heard it on ESPN.

ESPN is horribly inaccurate and extremely unreliable outside of Adam Schefter. Ian Rappoport is the one tends to "report" first, but his (along with the rest of them) primary focus isn't being accurate but either being first or creating traffic.

ESPN is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could end up with TB but I think he will become a 3rd down back. He still has good hands and can run some routes but his rushing game explosion seems to be gone. It's strange but he look like he is running in sand when he rushes the ball, however, I think he still has his passing game potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He could end up with TB but I think he will become a 3rd down back. He still has good hands and can run some routes but his rushing game explosion seems to be gone. It's strange but he look like he is running in sand when he rushes the ball, however, I think he still has his passing game potential.

 

He only had 2 games with over 12 carries last year and he was banged up. I think DJ still has another year in him at least as a 3 down back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

If he goes with arians, I a man cashing in the fantasy 401k

Unless they get him in a cheap deal, there is no reason for Tampa to add him. There are multiple rbs in the draft. Also, Ronald Jones was decently effective, but the problem comes down to the team needs to let Barber and Dare go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have zero confidence in Arians giving him or RoJo the bulk of carries in Tampa. Barber would probably be the workhorse while Jameis goes 400/4/4 every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

 

He only had 2 games with over 12 carries last year and he was banged up. I think DJ still has another year in him at least as a 3 down back.


In the end, money talks. It’s very expensive for ARI to cut him, no matter how many unsubstantiated Rotoworld blurbs report opinions as fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this recently on his still-pulsating 2019 outlook, worth echoing here:

Through 6 weeks, he had 20 PPR points per game.   Then he's injured, and he came back to a backup role.   After week 6, he had a TOTAL of 18 carries and 6 targets.     There's at least a little something useful still there, but who knows what his future holds.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I posted this recently on his still-pulsating 2019 outlook, worth echoing here:

Through 6 weeks, he had 20 PPR points per game.   Then he's injured, and he came back to a backup role.   After week 6, he had a TOTAL of 18 carries and 6 targets.     There's at least a little something useful still there, but who knows what his future holds.   

 

He just needs to...somehow...get on a team that will give him a shot and with a "normal" NFL offense system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

He just needs to...somehow...get on a team that will give him a shot and with a "normal" NFL offense system.

I don’t see how the system was a problem for their starting tailback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

He just needs to...somehow...get on a team that will give him a shot and with a "normal" NFL offense system.

Chase and Kenyan seemed to produce just fine in the offense. Maybe Johnsons back and ankle are worst then we were lead to believe and he was active to force teams to focus on him within their game plan. The draft has some decent depth at rb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Chase and Kenyan seemed to produce just fine in the offense. Maybe Johnsons back and ankle are worst then we were lead to believe and he was active to force teams to focus on him within their game plan. The draft has some decent depth at rb.

 

Chase looked awesome before he got hurt. Hope they give him a shot to win the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.