affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

7 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

As a FLEX I'd be open to it if I went RB heavy early or grabbed an elite TE instead of a WR; but really, give me Jordan Howard 2-3 rounds later--who I think at this point is a better player despite a worse situation--and a WR with WR1 upside like AJB/McLaurin/Chark/DK at round 4-5

If going WR heavy with a top TE early (Zero RB) I suppose he is more appealing but I don't usually do that

0% chance (if both players remain moderately healthy) that JHow puts up points close to DJ

4 hours ago, Evincar said:

Are we sure the Texans are a good team? Or even a good offense? Given how the Dolphins offense played down the stretch and with additions they made, It wouldnt be a complete shock if they were a better offense this season.

Offenses are built around QBs and yeah... Texans are doing MUCH better in that facet 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

0% chance (if both players remain moderately healthy) that JHow puts up points close to DJ

Because of receiving I'd tend to agree. Howard is the better player though and when I can get a better player 3 rounds later and also get a young stud WR2 with WR1 upside I prefer that to the old washed up plodder who looks like Colts Trent Richardson

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Because of receiving I'd tend to agree. Howard is the better player though and when I can get a better player 3 rounds later and also get a young stud WR2 with WR1 upside I prefer that to the old washed up plodder who looks like Colts Trent Richardson

Good luck. We all gotta do what we know. 

I know the RB position is defined by opportunity as much and sometimes even more so than talent. 

Kenyan Drake getting 8 touches a game in Miami is JAG even when he's making miracle game winning magic because Adam Gase sucks at using RB's (also would not and will not touch le'veon with 10' pole while he remains HC), BUT surprise surprise he goes to AZ and balls TF out. 

You can find me on Kenyan Drake threads since his rookie year saying he's a baller but will never be realized under Gase then the second he was traded to AZ I moved the heavens to acquire him where possible. 

Talent + opportunity = your typical rb1s and 2s

Talent w/ minimal opportunity = all over the place 

Minimal talent w/ opportunity = all over the place 

I often see the guys in groups 2 and 3 finish pretty close to each other. Biggest difference every time is cost. 3rd group you get bargains. 2nd group you overpay. 

I'm a bargain bin man myself. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BMcP said:

Except DJ was really, really good before getting hurt last year.

But he did get hurt. Again.

Enjoy folks, I will definitely pass!

6 minutes ago, bomont said:

Will do!

2 hours ago, bomont said:

Are you just avoiding DJ because of injury? Looks like hes going in the 3rd round which is a decent pick if you go WR early.

DJ isn't my favorite RB in the 3rd round, but if the ones i wanted are gone and hes still there and i need one, i wouldn't feel weird about taking.

hoping for upside change of scenery might bring....but it could also just be the final pathetic act in a once promising career.

4 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Are you just avoiding DJ because of injury? Looks like hes going in the 3rd round which is a decent pick if you go WR early.

"Just?"

Again to each their own :) 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Was it his back or ankle? 

I owned him last year, I recall both being reported.  At the time they made the switch to the backup I remember reading it was his back.  But then after Drake got there, I read ankle.  So I'm still not clear on the severity or if the back was not a correct report.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/07/cardinals-rb-david-johnsons-back-discomfort-keeps-him-from-sitting-at-locker/

Edited by JAG
Add a link

10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Offenses are built around QBs and yeah... Texans are doing MUCH better in that facet 

The Texans havent cracked the top 10 in total yards or points scored the last two seasosn despite having Watson and Hopkins. Bill O'Brien is doing a great job.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I owned him last year, I recall both being reported.  At the time they made the switch to the backup I remember reading it was his back.  But then after Drake got there, I read ankle.  So I'm still not clear on the severity or if the back was not a correct report.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/07/cardinals-rb-david-johnsons-back-discomfort-keeps-him-from-sitting-at-locker/

You can thank Kingsbury and his BS injury reporting for that... I don’t think there was a more frustrating position group in 2019 than the Cardinals’ RBs.

It must have been 4 or 5 weeks I started the wrong option between DJ and Edmonds only to miss out on Drake cause an opponent had 95% of his FAAB left.

The stuff of nightmares.

14 hours ago, smeeze said:

You can thank Kingsbury and his BS injury reporting for that... I don’t think there was a more frustrating position group in 2019 than the Cardinals’ RBs.

It must have been 4 or 5 weeks I started the wrong option between DJ and Edmonds only to miss out on Drake cause an opponent had 95% of his FAAB left.

The stuff of nightmares.

I still remember when DJ was good to go against the Giants causing most people to put him in their lineups.

Only for him to touch the ball once and then disappear for the rest of the game.

14 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I still remember when DJ was good to go against the Giants causing most people to put him in their lineups.

Only for him to touch the ball once and then disappear for the rest of the game.

Yup, that stung.

i keep avoding david and keep getting duke (not to start week 1 but to just stash and wait). Of course bill o brien could be a moron and bring in devonta freeman if david johnson went down with an injury and give freeman 70 percent of the work.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I drank alot of guinness that day, i think saquon re emerged that day too

Dude burned me so many times and probably burned a lot of other people so many times. He was a first overall pick in most leagues 3 years ago only to get injured and miss the season while most owners kept him around, next season goes either first or second overall and is beyond frustrating to own as he plodders to like 8-12 points most games, and then last season is still somehow a first round pick in leagues only to be useless after like 5 games.

Finally this year his ADP is at a range that is more than worth taking the risk though. I think he has had some tough luck with the injuries and having the most useless OC I have ever seen 2 seasons ago. I really don't think he is the same DJ he was during his first two seasons but being able to catch the ball and run routes doesn't go away. That combined with how much the Texans like to feed their lead RB makes it seem like there is zero chance he doesn't deliver on his ADP unless he gets hurt.

People need to understand that the Texans traded arguably the best WR talent in the league to get him. The dude is going to have a longer leash than anyone because if O'Brien benches him he can kiss his job goodbye.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Dude burned me so many times and probably burned a lot of other people so many times. He was a first overall pick in most leagues 3 years ago only to get injured and miss the season while most owners kept him around, next season goes either first or second overall and is beyond frustrating to own as he plodders to like 8-12 points most games, and then last season is still somehow a first round pick in leagues only to be useless after like 5 games.

Finally this year his ADP is at a range that is more than worth taking the risk though. I think he has had some tough luck with the injuries and having the most useless OC I have ever seen 2 seasons ago. I really don't think he is the same DJ he was during his first two seasons but being able to catch the ball and run routes doesn't go away. That combined with how much the Texans like to feed their lead RB makes it seem like there is zero chance he doesn't deliver on his ADP unless he gets hurt.

People need to understand that the Texans traded arguably the best WR talent in the league to get him. The dude is going to have a longer leash than anyone because if O'Brien benches him he can kiss his job goodbye.

I have no reservations about the amount of work he'll get, and you bring up a valid point here that the coach/acting GM's butt is on the line.  My hangup is the probability he has recurrent injuries - especially if that back flares up.  If he is rode hard all year, that will lend to him missing time. 

If I miss out on Mark Ingram in the 4th, DJ is my next RB2.  If both are gone, I might be forced to go plan C and take a tandem like the Colts duo.

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

I have no reservations about the amount of work he'll get, and you bring up a valid point here that the coach/acting GM's butt is on the line.  My hangup is the probability he has recurrent injuries - especially if that back flares up.  If he is rode hard all year, that will lend to him missing time. 

If I miss out on Mark Ingram in the 4th, DJ is my next RB2.  If both are gone, I might be forced to go plan C and take a tandem like the Colts duo.

I got DJ>Ingram, Ingram will be 31 in Dec and the Ravens drafted Dobbins in the 2nd who they viewed as a 1st round talent.

20 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

i keep avoding david and keep getting duke (not to start week 1 but to just stash and wait). Of course bill o brien could be a moron and bring in devonta freeman if david johnson went down with an injury and give freeman 70 percent of the work.

once bill obrien reads this post he’ll learn that duke went 9 picks ahead of david in the 2015 draft and trade for tj yeldon 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

I got DJ>Ingram, Ingram will be 31 in Dec and the Ravens drafted Dobbins in the 2nd who they viewed as a 1st round talent.

Except for Ingram being the far superior player in the far superior offense coming off an RB8 season as DJ comes off a year getting outperformed by Chase Edmonds and Drake

1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Except for Ingram being the far superior player in the far superior offense coming off an RB8 season as DJ comes off a year getting outperformed by Chase Edmonds and Drake

Except the backfield got a little more crowded for them this offseason with the addition of Dobbins. I see them preserving Ingram more as well for the playoffs, so he isn't injured like he was against the Titans. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 3:24 AM, Gohawks said:

QFT!!!

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

Well, I'm pulling for him. Would LOVE to see a HUGE bounce back season for DJ. I just don't expect it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smeeze said:

DJ sounding like Captain Ahab up in here with that 1000/1000 Moby-Dick talk.

• Haha 2