affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

I just can't resist this situation. They traded arguably the best WR in the game for DJ, they're all-in. DJ just has to be a semblance of what he was and hold up physically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rex_bulkhead said:

I just can't resist this situation. They traded arguably the best WR in the game for DJ, they're all-in. DJ just has to be a semblance of what he was and hold up physically.

i believe there were a couple draft picks tossed in as well, one being a 2nd round pick, iirc. 

was not a straight up/vanilla deal ⛑

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i believe there were a couple draft picks tossed in as well, one being a 2nd round pick, iirc. 

was not a straight up/vanilla deal ⛑

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884538-nfl-executive-a-joke-cardinals-got-deandre-hopkins-in-david-johnson-trade

Houston traded Hopkins and a fourth-round pick to the Cardinals for Johnson, a second-round pick and a fourth-round pick in next year's draft.

So essentially Nuk for DJ plus a 2nd. I have to say, BOB's 2nd round picks have not been terrible:

image.thumb.png.0f5d01721eee444d6aa583f9f4372fad.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884538-nfl-executive-a-joke-cardinals-got-deandre-hopkins-in-david-johnson-trade

So essentially Nuk for DJ plus a 2nd. I have to say, BOB's 2nd round picks have not been terrible:

image.thumb.png.0f5d01721eee444d6aa583f9f4372fad.png

Lol, yes they have. And the 2 best ones there were Rick Smith picks. 

Also don't forget he traded arguable the best WR in the game for a 2nd round pick when other teams were trading MUCH lesser WRs for 1st round picks. 

And also, don't forget that Nuk Hopkins was under an EXTREMELY team friendly deal for 3 more years. Basically making the same money as (whom many thought / think) washed up RB David Johnson when WR Is a premium position and RB is not. 

Y'all can say what y'all want about David Johnson and that's fine, I respect everyone's opinion. But I REFUSE to sit around and let anyone say something NOT NEGATIVE about Bill O Brien. 

F that guy. He's made me hate my team I've been down with since it's origins and he's tearing down the walls of this franchise more every day. He does NOTHING good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Also don't forget he traded arguable the best WR in the game for a 2nd round pick

Plus DJ.

Look, I get it, I thought it was one of the most stupid trades since the Saints traded 9 draft picks to get Ricky Williams.

I don't think BOB traded to get DJ; clearly he wanted to get rid of Nuk (which I don't get because everyone I've ever read says how hard-working and respectful Nuk is). My understanding is they didn't want to pay him an expensive extension.

Anyway, that's for the Nuk thread, which is over there: ----->

This is the DJ thread, a bit hobbled, but still moving along.

1 minute ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

he's out for blood this year so the value is looking good. 

As someone who in 2017 read a lot of happy positive statements from DJ, first before the season on how he was going to do 1000/1000, and then during the season on how he was working hard expecting to be back in week X:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

As someone who in 2017 read a lot of happy positive statements from DJ, first before the season on how he was going to do 1000/1000, and then during the season on how he was working hard expecting to be back in week X:

tenor.gif

You know what, I've come around on him for this season. As a DJ owner since after his huge breakout season, I get the wanting to just pass on him. I really do. BUT, at his ADP I think he does offer some real value as a RB2/Flex option just based on projected usage alone.

That's assuming he doesn't miss a bunch of game of course. 

19 minutes ago, The G Man said:

You know what, I've come around on him for this season. As a DJ owner since after his huge breakout season, I get the wanting to just pass on him. I really do. BUT, at his ADP I think he does offer some real value as a RB2/Flex option just based on projected usage alone.

That's assuming he doesn't miss a bunch of game of course. 

To be very clear, I haven't written DJ off completely. I reacted specifically to the positive things DJ is saying - he is an incredibly positive person. Which is great, but it makes him saying he can still have a 1000/1000 season somewhat meaningless. That I'm just not buying.

Can he still have a useful (for fantasy) 700/400 season? Yeah, why not, if he is healthy enough to get 15+ touches per game.

5 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

To be very clear, I haven't written DJ off completely. I reacted specifically to the positive things DJ is saying - he is an incredibly positive person. Which is great, but it makes him saying he can still have a 1000/1000 season somewhat meaningless. That I'm just not buying.

Can he still have a useful (for fantasy) 700/400 season? Yeah, why not, if he is healthy enough to get 15+ touches per game.

Yeah, think I may have misunderstood your prior post then. Perhaps I was mislead by watching Simon Cowell's head shake from side to side ;)

It's all good though as I think you and I are in agreement about DJ and his prospects this season.

Carry on, sir. 

Thoughts? A top 3 pick in a 12 team has me wanting to reach on a back at the 2/3 turn. Good situation for him. Texans run the ball a ton. I can’t believe he is 28 already. Is he washed or does he have a 1000/500 season left in the tank? 

18 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Thoughts? A top 3 pick in a 12 team has me wanting to reach on a back at the 2/3 turn. Good situation for him. Texans run the ball a ton. I can’t believe he is 28 already. Is he washed or does he have a 1000/500 season left in the tank? 

I drafted him in a league and the first game which should be a shootout against the Chiefs should tell us a lot about how DJ will be used this season.  If he can stay healthy (big "if") he should have some big games especially in PPR.

6 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

It’s tough to gauge. I agree with you that he will get a lot of volume. I just fear he will be this year’s 2017 DeMarco Murray or 2019 Devonta Freeman. 

I usually get burned when I draft guys based on workload rather than ability. There is no doubt that he will get a lot of volume. I’d expect 20+ touches a game, but what can he do with those touches? I’ve drafted based on volume and have gotten bit....Jeremy Hill a few years ago, Lamar Miller when he first came to Houston. 

I think he is a safe pick if he can stay healthy. His floor should be high because of his workload, but not sure how much he will boom.

18 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I absolutely would not draft him that early. I got him at 6.04 in my 12 team commish league last night because NO ONE wanted him. I'm super happy with that value, but still aware there's a more-than-standard risk of it being a wasted pick.

I think something important to be optimistic about (cuz I kinda have bias to be now, acknowledged!) is that BOB is handing over play-calling to this offense now. Thank goodness. So, don't expect to see the same offense as the last couple years. It seems to me like they're going to do a lot of vertical routes to open up space in the middle of the field for guys like DJ, Cobb, and whomever of Fuller/Cooks/Stills isn't burning. I really do think that DJ can have a really good receiving total because I do expect more of this offense to be built around Watson and their pass % to go up. Also, the O-Line is about as good as it's been there in years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2020 at 7:36 PM, Ryansm11 said:

I wouldn't be able to rationalize having him on my radar there. I have pick #2 in a 12 team league and I am however considering reaching for Fournette or Gordon after the turn in round 3, both of whom are comparably polarizing to Johnson. So what do I know? 

Edited by SenatorSpaceman

On 8/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, aapox said:

I think something important to be optimistic about (cuz I kinda have bias to be now, acknowledged!) is that BOB is handing over play-calling to this offense now. Thank goodness. So, don't expect to see the same offense as the last couple years. It seems to me like they're going to do a lot of vertical routes to open up space in the middle of the field for guys like DJ, Cobb, and whomever of Fuller/Cooks/Stills isn't burning. I really do think that DJ can have a really good receiving total because I do expect more of this offense to be built around Watson and their pass % to go up. Also, the O-Line is about as good as it's been there in years.

... all sounds good, and i agree with the take - 'cept one of the leeg's premier receiving backs is also on the roster - Duke gon' get alotta burn this year, and i'd rather wait on him later than burn higher capital on DJ. 

Any RB playing with Watson is worthy of attention.

That said, I wouldn't reach for DJ, if he falls too far I'd take him or if I went 0 RB I'd take him but mostly I would pass for better options.

If he proves me wrong I won't be shocked, Watson is a legit threat to account for and usually allows the RBs some nice running lanes.

• Like 1

I'm hoping he'll be a lower priced option in auction, after everyone has blown their stacks on the top backs.

Yahoo has him really low in their pecking order.

I certainly don't trust him, but he's a good rb2 option if you can get him around $20.  The possibility of 1200+ yards, 10+ TDs is there, even if it's not exactly likely 

I'm optimistic about him.  Yes, he didn't look great last year, but what other 4th/5th round RBs are out there that have the possibility of being three down backs?  Everyone is worried about Duke, but they're already on record saying they're going to use 21 personnel and have them both out there at the same time.  They didn't trade away Hopkins just to get a two down thumper.  DJ still has elite receiving skills and I expect him to surprise a lot of people this year.  

24 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'm optimistic about him.  Yes, he didn't look great last year, but what other 4th/5th round RBs are out there that have the possibility of being three down backs?  Everyone is worried about Duke, but they're already on record saying they're going to use 21 personnel and have them both out there at the same time.  They didn't trade away Hopkins just to get a two down thumper.  DJ still has elite receiving skills and I expect him to surprise a lot of people this year.  

i'm not "worried" about Duke - i'm excited to draft him at what i consider a better value point than DJ. 

i'm not necessarily knocking DJ - just saysin' what i says 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Weird how there’s so much concern around DJ but duke isn’t going higher. 

Duke still isn't going higher likely because David Johnson is also a pass-catching back and that is Duke's specialty.  I read that the coaches want to have both Duke and David on the field for certain packages but overall, I think he'll need a David Johnson injury to be relevant.