affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

Yeah, I get the sell high philosophy. But, I just, cannot, do, it. Sorry man, but I've been waiting 4 frickin' years for this, I ain't sellin' now.

No risk it no biscuit!

• Like 6

Judging by some reactions in this thread, I don't know if a "sell high window" exists in most leagues, it seems like most people are expecting him to get hurt.

All good.  Sometimes you have to drive a car til the wheels fall off.  Just have a backup plan and enjoy the ride for however long it lasts is my take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

I am skeptical he can stay healthy for sure. He looked phenomenal though. If he can stay healthy he will absolutely smash his ADP. I was off him but he was probably worth the risk at his cost this year and more so then the other clump of former 1st round backs in Bell,Gordon,Gurley. 

I think Gurley is gonna be just at the same level or much higher.

But, back to Johnson...

Thank you, Lord 🤣🤙🏾

51 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Exactly, one game. I have him in a league and I'm happy for the one week performance. In his first game last year he had 24 touches, 137 all-purpose yards, 1 TD. He was a non-factor rushing after that except against the Bungals. He was involved in the passing game to make up for it for a few weeks. Second half of the season we got ghosted.

giphy.gif

If you factor in that he did very well considering the script didn’t fit him, combined with how he played and how HOU didn’t hesitate to give him passes out of the backfield; excitement is more than warranted. 

Of course it’s fantasy, so anything could happen.  But excitement is more than justified.

Hate to tell you guys, but the script was very much in favor of garbage time production. Watson didnt look at him for any dump offs, rather throw an interception than throw to a wide open DJ. I dont see how the script was not in favor for several more receptions, specially without Duke on the field. 

B-but what about that clip of him moving at a snails pace looking for a hole in the backfield from last season? He's washed, washed I tell you!

1 minute ago, screaming_vultures said:

Hate to tell you guys, but the script was very much in favor of garbage time production. Watson didnt look at him for any dump offs, rather throw an interception than throw to a wide open DJ. I dont see how the script was not in favor for several more receptions, specially without Duke on the field. 

DJ is somewhat game script proof because he is a good receiver, but it's always better for a RB to be ahead and killing the clock.  Instead of hoping for a reception that he may not get (like last night), he is definitely getting carries.

5 minutes ago, kp96 said:

DJ is somewhat game script proof because he is a good receiver, but it's always better for a RB to be ahead and killing the clock.  Instead of hoping for a reception that he may not get (like last night), he is definitely getting carries.

I am saying that this was an ideal script for him to rack up receptions. I am not saying this is an issue with DJ but with the offense itself. Watson had several chances earlier in the game even to dump off to DJ for 5-15 yards and he was completely blind, like he didnt even look at him. I fear Watson is the issue here and it dampens the outlook. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, screaming_vultures said:

I am saying that this was an ideal script for him to rack up receptions. I am not saying this is an issue with DJ but with the offense itself. Watson had several chances earlier in the game even to dump off to DJ for 5-15 yards and he was completely blind, like he didnt even look at him. I fear Watson is the issue here and it dampens the outlook. 

I suspect they're going to look like a better team when they're not playing the Chiefs and in a 31-7 hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last nights game quickly blew up to a route.  DJ did fantastic with what he was given.  I expect even better things from him once the Texans play games against anyone not named KC Chiefs.

He might have a tough matchup this week against the Ravens too but it will be a true testament to his abilities and the strength of this O line.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I suspect they're going to look like a better team when they're not playing the Chiefs and in a 31-7 hole.

You missed the point of the post.

Edited by ccimore

16 minutes ago, activeobserver said:

Whos his handcuff with Duke pontentially being out? I want shares of this backfield.

Greg Buddy Howell is the next man up. I'm not sure how effective he is. He got beat out in Miami, which is not known to be a very competitive place for running backs. in 2018, he was cut with competition from the following backs:

Kenyan Drake, Frank Gore, Kalen Ballage, Senorise Perry

He is a big unknown at this point and could be a complete bust of a pickup. On the bright side, he's probably free in all leagues right now so if you do want him, definitely pick him up before the waiver period.

All of Fantasy Gurus put him in Do Not Draft list.

Now to watch reaction.

He looked electric on every touch. Hit next level with authority, sick jump cuts, looked about to break every run for a big gain. Chip on his shoulder no doubt.

Duke running in quicksand into the pile with no vision as usual then injured.

Buy buy buy from some idiot who thinks he's selling high. 

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, ccimore said:

You missed the point of the post.

The point of the post seemed to me to be that Watson was not looking for him because he was going more vertical, often inaccurately.  I'm suggesting that's a product of the score and his urgency to work out of it, and may not be reflective of future conditions.

What did you get out of it?

1 hour ago, screaming_vultures said:

This is so true. I was cussin' like a sailor about it too!

Only thing I can say is I sure as hell hope Deshaun has to watch the game film with his OC and/or BOB so they can point out how many times all he had to do was dump it off to DJ. SMH...

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Judging by some reactions in this thread, I don't know if a "sell high window" exists in most leagues, it seems like most people are expecting him to get hurt.

All good.  Sometimes you have to drive a car til the wheels fall off.  Just have a backup plan and enjoy the ride for however long it lasts is my take.

Cmon now man... you've got 3k posts, you've been around for a while.

You know the second something goes bad or he gets hurt like 6 people will come out and tell us how they're relieved because they just moved him for Michael Thomas and most of us in real leagues will just roll our eyes.

There's a strong roll your eye at community here in the forums, and they'll be here, their just lurking in the shadows right now ready to say something asinine.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

The crazier stat was his 19 yard run was the longest since 2016. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nn4mz said:

I think Gurley is gonna be just at the same level or much higher.

But, back to Johnson...

Thank you, Lord 🤣🤙🏾

Agreed with Gurley too.

As for DJ, he is going to have some tough matchups the next few weeks with Ravens, Steelers and Vikings.  Not sure what the expectations should be in those games.

6 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

Agreed with Gurley too.

As for DJ, he is going to have some tough matchups the next few weeks with Ravens, Steelers and Vikings.  Not sure what the expectations should be in those games.

I saw the schedule and thought the same thing but then I looked at last year's rushing defense and it doesn't look so bad. Baltimore was 7th in opponent rushing yardage but Pittsburgh and Minnesota were middle of the pack at 14th and 17th. But also keep in mind that this can change wildly from year to year.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I saw the schedule and thought the same thing but then I looked at last year's rushing defense and it doesn't look so bad. Baltimore was 7th in opponent rushing yardage but Pittsburgh and Minnesota were middle of the pack at 14th and 17th. But also keep in mind that this can change wildly from year to year.

Steelers were dominate though as far as fantasy points allowed to RB’s. I think Hunt had the most last year with like 17. 

44 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

The crazier stat was his 19 yard run was the longest since 2016. 

I thought it was his longest TD since 2016, but yeah either way - crazy. Looked good, Watson might not have felt comfortable dumping off to him yet - He looks up field every time like hes looking for hopkins lol.. Fuller is good but no hopkins replacement so they need to get DJ involved more on those broken plays - Dump to DJ and its an easy 5-7 yard gain every time

• Like 1