affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

3 minutes ago, BeefDaddy said:

I thought it was his longest TD since 2016, but yeah either way - crazy. Looked good, Watson might not have felt comfortable dumping off to him yet - He looks up field every time like hes looking for hopkins lol.. Fuller is good but no hopkins replacement so they need to get DJ involved more on those broken plays - Dump to DJ and its an easy 5-7 yard gain every time

Watson has never dumped off to his RB’s. That’ll have to change though if he wants to avoid being sacked 5 times per game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Watson has never dumped off to his RB’s. That’ll have to change though if he wants to avoid being sacked 5 times per game. 

Yeah, he's definitely a "let me run with it" guy when his receivers are covered instead of looking for the dump off.  Saw that happen so many times last night.

• Like 1

He looked great out there yesterday!  I had a feeling he was going to thrive with the Texans.

He looked awesome on his TD run.  Showed patience and waited for the block to develop and changed direction quickly.

Watson doesn't look to dump off, yet DJ still did get a few targets.  Hoping they realize what they have and get him the ball in space as that's his forte.

I get why a lot of people say sell high.  You're basically saying he's going to get injured. He's (hopefully) healthy and has a chip on his shoulder to prove he ain't washed.  What if you sell and he goes on to be awesome and have a huge year?  And realistically, what would people give for him?

I'm pumped about his performance but other than that one TD run I didn't feel like I saw some electric back out there so that worries me a little. Hopefully its just knocking off some rust from actual game speed

1 minute ago, kdpat15 said:

I'm pumped about his performance but other than that one TD run I didn't feel like I saw some electric back out there so that worries me a little. Hopefully its just knocking off some rust from actual game speed

He looked pretty solid and had way more pop in his step than last year to my eye.  Not elite looking but he will be a fantastic RB2 this year I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheezor42 said:

He looked pretty solid and had way more pop in his step than last year to my eye.  Not elite looking but he will be a fantastic RB2 this year I think.

right I agree, I guess I was hoping for that elite level to come back. Maybe it will take a couple games lol. 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdpat15 said:

Yeah, his performance seemed to be more about vision and being able to pick his way through the hole than athleticism.  If the blocking stays that good though, he will give us good numbers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kp96 said:

Yeah, his performance seemed to be more about vision and being able to pick his way through the hole than athleticism.  If the blocking stays that good though, he will give us good numbers.

^this

It doesn't look like the top speed is there anymore, but he looked elusive, and that could be the difference between 600-800 and getting over 1000. Overall, definitely happy. I also don't think elite is happening anymore. That's so hard for a 28 year old who isn't a generational talent. I think what we're looking for is 'solid' - lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kdpat15 said:

There are plenty of athletes who just aren't good running backs, usually because of vision/decision making or poor contact balance.  I feel like I had the exact opposite sentiment as you because he looked great to me.  I saw a guy who had great vision and quick decision making while making people miss despite lack of elite athleticism.

He doesn't need to be electric to be an elite fantasy RB.  If the blocking is decent I think DJ has a good chance of making more of it than any Texans RB since Foster.  He's great in the passing game, hopefully he gets integrated more in this regard to offset some of what they're missing with Hopkins gone.

I own this guy on every single team I've drafted for myself and friends and family, so I'm praying he works out, but I'll say so far he looks like the DJ I hoped for.

Edited by CharlesCC2
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 8:24 PM, joshua18 said:

Thank you for asking. I think it will be hard for DJ to fail as a low-end RB1 in Houston barring injury. We still don’t know if he’s fully recovered from whatever derailed him after he started off as a top-6 RB the first 6 weeks of last season.

I don’t think he has the ceiling to crack the top 6-7 RBs this year but I hope he proves me wrong. If he is somehow your 3rd RB or even your second RB after you’ve drafted a stud WR, I would like your chances of winning your league.

One week down. Concerning that he only got 15 opportunities (11 carries + 4 targets), but he still produced and has room to grow in volume.

very encouraging debut, no question ... came down to this cat or Gurley for me, and i chose TG - hoping we get the same kinda usage/results as DJ did - that was a definite feel good night for those that believed - gl to you all!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Belmundo said:

spacer.png
spacer.png
@MJJ28 @BMcP 7.0 ypc to start off the season...How you like them apples?

Welcome to the forums!

8 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

very encouraging debut, no question ... came down to this cat or Gurley for me, and i chose TG - hoping we get the same kinda usage/results as DJ did - that was a definite feel good night for those that believed - gl to you all!

I think it’s a safer bet than DJ

4 minutes ago, franchize3 said:

Has anyone sold high on DJ? Man, it would be great if he can stay healthy.

No way. RB1 ROS.

• Like 1

I am honestly thinking of starting David Johnson over Conner.

And even Johnson over Snell this week....

Can't trust Conner and NO WAY Snell repeats his week 1 performance, even with the start!

4 minutes ago, jhomes55 said:

Can't trust Conner and NO WAY Snell repeats his week 1 performance, even with the start!

I would start D.J. Over both of them anyways.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jhomes55 said:

DJ > Conner. Ride DJ until the wheels come off. 

I really hope the Texans defense comes to play.  If they stay in the game, they look more beatable on the ground than through the air.  My major concern here this weekend is that Lamar runs them out of the gym early.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I really hope the Texans defense comes to play.  If they stay in the game, they look more beatable on the ground than through the air.  My major concern here this weekend is that Lamar runs them out of the gym early.

I agree. Even if Duke Johnson is out, I don't have full trust in Watson to dump it down to DJ. Better to have a close game but Baltimore can put up points in a hurry so it's a risk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I agree. Even if Duke Johnson is out, I don't have full trust in Watson to dump it down to DJ. Better to have a close game but Baltimore can put up points in a hurry so it's a risk.

Last 2 seasons, Houston RBs averaged 6.5+ targets a game, trust in Watson. If Duke is out, DJ gonna eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

Last 2 seasons, Houston RBs averaged 6.5+ targets a game, trust in Watson. If Duke is out, DJ gonna eat.

I'm sure DJ is gonna get his targets but all I am saying is that I prefer it to be a close game. I know it's a limited sample size but DJ's production last game was first half heavy when the game was still in hand.