affliction

David Johnson 2020 Outlook

Basically anyone they plugged in balled out - it’s definitely a situation to monitor as draft season approaches.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Basically anyone they plugged in balled out - it’s definitely a situation to monitor as draft season approaches.

Yeah I was shocked Drake did tbh. I never thought he was very good. But it is looking like another KC situation where all the backs will need to be owned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Yeah I was shocked Drake did tbh. I never thought he was very good. But it is looking like another KC situation where all the backs will need to be owned.

Oddly,

I think the cardinals morphed into a more traditional offense as the season went on. They were real gimmicky early, and then Kyler really struggled to push the ball downfield most games. More garbage time stats for him then people care to admit. I think this is what kept DJ's number in check early on in the season. 

Whats odd, is I believe Drake is a Free Agent. So they brought him in, with DJ and Edmunds on the mend, but then didn't bother to get a look at either of them when they are both under contract for 2020 and Drake is not. They probably should have seen what they had in Edmunds....as he had that massive game before a soft tissue injury. 

Edited by mpat15

Which big contract given to a running back was worse?  Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell, or David Johnson?

Answer:  all of the above.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Which big contract given to a running back was worse?  Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell, or David Johnson?

I know what you're getting at obviously but i couldn't hold back from an honest response.   In Bell's case, the Jets can cut him after next year and only have $4 mil in dead money.  They also had tons of space when he came on board, and weren't a contender.  They likely sign just as many guys as they do with or without him- and they're almost certainly third in the AFC East with any available FA or rookie RB in 2019.  Basically, the Jets are the Jets, with or without him.

Gurley?  He's a bigger cap hit right now, a bigger pill to swallow once he's cut, AND he's holding back a SB contender during their window of opportunity. 

DJ's deal only really has one insane year, its just that its 2020.  They'll get rid of him fairly cheap.after they swallow this season

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 1

• Speaking Tuesday, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said David Johnson is "a guy we still value."

"I think because of the success that Kenyan (Drake) had, because of the success Chase (Edmonds) had, I think that's something that will be a chip on his shoulder," Keim said of his highly-paid back. "He's going to want to come back and play well and again because of his skill-set. ... We certainly think he can jump back in and do some good things for us." The reality is, the decision has already been made for Arizona, as releasing Johnson would be cost-prohibitive. The Cards clearly want to re-sign Kenyan Drake, but Johnson's deal might make it impossible.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com
    Feb 25, 2020, 4:21 PM ET

•  

On 2/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

None of the contracts were bad contracts when they were signed at the time because all 3 were in the top 5 of their position and more importantly the focal point of their teams offensive production. It's a simple formula in the NFL the best players generally get paid the most money. The problem with the contracts are there is nothing you can do when the best player can't perform and those teams are exposed as really bad without them.  AZand the jets have been dumpster fires with coaching and player turnover run by incompetent management and the Rams were unable to get Geoff to the next level where he could win games in the air. 

Gurley +DJ suffered injuries and Bell is in in an offense run by Gase who has been proven to be the most incompetent HC in terms of properly using talent.

It's rather laughable that Bell is arguably the best every down pass catching rb in the NFL and Gase couldnt even create plays to get him the ball 😂

21 minutes ago, dashoe said:

None of the contracts were bad contracts when they were signed at the time because all 3 were in the top 5 of their position and more importantly the focal point of their teams offensive production. It's a simple formula in the NFL the best players generally get paid the most money. The problem with the contracts are there is nothing you can do when the best player can't perform and those teams are exposed as really bad without them.  AZand the jets have been dumpster fires with coaching and player turnover run by incompetent management and the Rams were unable to get Geoff to the next level where he could win games in the air. 

Gurley +DJ suffered injuries and Bell is in in an offense run by Gase who has been proven to be the most incompetent HC in terms of properly using talent.

It's rather laughable that Bell is arguably the best every down pass catching rb in the NFL and Gase couldnt even create plays to get him the ball 😂

Wrong.  All of these contracts were very, very bad contracts from the second they were signed because they involved running backs.  Running backs are in plentiful supply and have a very short shelf life.  Only the dumbest of teams give huge money to the running back position.  FACT.

23 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You know what is laughable?  Calling 2019 Le'Veon Bell "arguably the best" at anything except for creating excruciatingly bad hip hop albums.

22 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wrong.  All of these contracts were very, very bad contracts from the second they were signed because they involved running backs.  Running backs are in plentiful supply and have a very short shelf life.  Only the dumbest of teams give huge money to the running back position.  FACT.

Then you obviously don't understand those teams and why they gave those specific rb's those contracts. obviously you think all rb's are fungible and they are to an extent but you sort of miss the point of how much of the teams offense was the result of those specific rb's prior to the contracts and if you don't pay them then you don't have any offense and your team is fielding an even worse product.  Not a single pundit or player said that DJ, gurley, Bell, didnt earn those contracts and no one said the teams were stupid to give them those contracts because  they could go get Alfred morris and Doug martin to replace them. The got the contracts because the team had no other elite talent to win with. That's a fact😂

Those contracts are bad today because Gurley+DJ are compromised by injury and Bell is not a fit for Gase. So stop looking backwards to make a silly argument today😂

Edited by dashoe

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You know what is laughable?  Calling 2019 Le'Veon Bell "arguably the best" at anything except for creating excruciatingly bad hip hop albums.

So now you think he cant catch a ball and run a route? 😂

There was nothing wrong Bell as a rb on the jets. The problem is the jets were just a bad team with a bad coach  and injury riddled all season, 

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Then you obviously don't understand those teams and why they gave those specific rb's those contracts. obviously you think all rb's are fungible and they are to an extent but you sort of miss the point of how much of the teams offense was the result of those specific rb's prior to the contracts and if you don't pay them then you don't have any offense and your team is fielding an even worse product.  Not a single pundit or player said that DJ, gurley, Bell, didnt earn those contracts and no one said the teams were stupid to give them those contracts because  they could go get Alfred morris and Doug martin to replace them. The got the contracts because the team had no other elite talent to win with. That's a fact😂

Those contracts are bad today because Gurley+DJ are compromised by injury and Bell is not a fit for Gase. So stop looking backwards to make a silly argument today😂

I said they were bad contracts at the time they were signed, at the time they were signed.  You are free to go back and look.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I said they were bad contracts at the time they were signed, at the time they were signed.  You are free to go back and look.

You are not an NFL pundit, player, analyst,front office guy with a strong grasp of contracts and team personnel. 

I understand in rotoworld you are a legend but only for posting opinions 🤣

36 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You are not an NFL pundit, player, analyst,front office guy with a strong grasp of contracts and team personnel. 

Oh the pundits all thought these were good contracts?  The ones for Gurley, David Johnson, and Le'Veon Bell?  Well, then I guess that is fine.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Are you not the same?

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Are you not the same?

No sir. I am not a legend. 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dashoe said:

So now you think he cant catch a ball and run a route? 😂

There was nothing wrong Bell as a rb on the jets. The problem is the jets were just a bad team with a bad coach  and injury riddled all season, 

I actually agree with this statement...Very good player on a bad team with an historically bad coach 

Going to Houston wow 

AZ had to give them a pick 

Posted (edited)

They traded Deandre Hopkins for him?! WTF?

Is this cap related?

Edited by JDE

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Is this cap related?

Wooooow 

wtf lmaoooo

• Like 1

This will definitely help David Johnson! FU Cards 

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

Is this cap related?

And a 2nd rounder. Plus Houston is taking on David Johnson's entire salary. It seems fairly well balanced.

Houston must have been having issues coming to an agreement with Hopkins on an extension. And maybe that they will have to pay Watson soon.